Portugal

Discuss sporting topics. Game announcements, sports talk and events.
luddite

Portugal

Post by luddite » Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:51 pm

Ouch :lol: Ashley Cole and Gary Neville are going to feel the pain :lol:

England were outstanding this evening, no one performed badly. Rooney deserved man of the match :!:

Portugal

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

steev

Post by steev » Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:46 am

Yeah I thought they were really good going forward, but every game they've played they've looked very shaky from dead balls into the box, I hope Sven gives 'em plenty of practice on this before the next game.

I thought Gerard was also a bit sh*t at times ...

Cole was excellent, Rooney MOM for me, showed more than just good striking of the ball, but yes (re: your previous post on him) he's still ugly. :shock:

BTW, if Ace became Luddite, but remains Olly, then I did meet you at the last . thing, but if not, not. :?

luddite

Post by luddite » Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:51 am

Thought so :!: How are you? What about France v Greece? The jammy dodgers ;-)

junot

Re: Portugal

Post by junot » Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:16 am

luddite wrote: England were outstanding this evening, no one performed badly. Rooney deserved man of the match :!:
England have a great chance here, as long as they can sort out their defensive frailties on set pieces.
Was it a good atmosphere in Sports Academy last night? I saw it in a Bolton town centre pub with about 200 others, no trouble, just a great night:)
I'll see the 1/4 final in Paris on thursday..........hyvä englanti!

btw luddite, were you a history student? I used to read a lot about Ned Ludd and his cohorts:)
phil_h

JasonS

Post by JasonS » Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:12 am

Well done Sven and his men. I dont think i've ever been so comfortable watching England at 1-0 down. They were so comfortably in control that first half it was a real pleasure to watch.

I listened to radio five live before the game and people were really questioning whether the Roon should play at all because the Croats were going to try and get him sent off. What nonsense! He's only had one yellow card in all his England games!

Do I hear the sound of someone eating their own words :?:

Can someone explain the Rooney phenomenon...
...because I sure as hell don't see it.

I see a fat thug.

....I hope not to hear any more !"#¤% of Rooney coming to United... we should have a bit of ambition and aim for the best not a poor mans Duncan Ferguson
Whats that old saying - 'Never judge a book by it's cover'
½Image½Image

luddite

Post by luddite » Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:37 am

I cut and paste it from a football board Jasons. Thought it was a funny rant :lol: .

link

JasonS

Post by JasonS » Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:49 am

luddite wrote:I cut and paste it from a football board
Hmmm thats a bit sneaky. Dont you have your own opinions? or do you always copy others?
½Image½Image

luddite

Post by luddite » Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:55 am

JasonS wrote:Hmmm thats a bit sneaky. Dont you have your own opinions? or do you always copy others?
Sorry didn't mean to offend :!: To be honest I didn't know what Rooney would be like before the tournament as I've not seen much of Everton. But he's been outstanding. Better than Owen was in France 98.

He's got no fear and he's banging in goals left right and centre in the European Championships, he's top draw 8)
Last edited by luddite on Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

steev

Post by steev » Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:08 am

luddite wrote:Thought so :!: How are you? What about France v Greece? The jammy dodgers ;-)
I'm good mate, cheers.

France v Greece does seem a good draw for them, but I'm not too unhappy with England v Portugal ... obviously I'm not saying we'll definitely win it against the home team n all, but I reckon we're in better form judging by the last 3 games.

Plus, France get the Czech Rep if they both win their respective quarters ... i wouldn't fancy France (or us) as favourites in that one, again on tournament form so far ...

luddite

Re: Portugal

Post by luddite » Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:45 am

junot wrote:Was it a good atmosphere in Sports Academy last night? I saw it in a Bolton town centre pub with about 200 others, no trouble, just a great night:)
I was working just before it so ended up watching it at home. Have a good trip to Paris junot :!:

JasonS

Post by JasonS » Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:21 am

I was at home too. The finnish commentator (that short baldy bloke with the earring)annoyed me quite a lot -again. I can understand a fair bit and he may be good at athletics and ice hockey but football is obviously not his forte. One instance when the keeper was writhing on the floor after a strong but fair Owen challenge he said he was 'obviously quite badly hurt'. Thankfully Mixu Paatelainen was there again to put him straight about play acting and Owen being a very clean player. The other commentator they use is much better.

I should also praise the studio analysis by Keith 'Keke' Armstrong - a true role model for those like me trying to master the finnish language(albeit in a funny geordie accent).
½Image½Image

pierrot

Post by pierrot » Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:14 am

Yepeee!
Portugal again proved their fairplay with that wonderfull chitchat between Ricardo, the portuguese keeper, and Beckham right before the penalties.
Its nice to see they learnt so little in that domain in the last 4 years.
:thumbsdown:
Besides that it was a great game!
Especially the 2 goals in the last 15 minutes were amazing!
Here in Finland, I have done everything I can to blend-in with the Finns, I've changed my hair color, wore differnet clothes, got different

Majava

Post by Majava » Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:23 pm

Yes, great match! Sorry for England, this must taste bitter...

Portugal with 61% ball possession at the end of regular playing time and only 5 shots on goal?! The team to beat, in my opinion, but no doubt that will happen! C. Ronaldo....whose hero was he again? I don't think he made it once through the English defence (great defence!). The few times he was tackled, he was not clear and the offenders also still went for the ball. No. Mr. golden shoes (!) does not have what it takes!
"Remember-you can't beam through a force field. So, don't try it. "(James T. Kirk)

luddite

Post by luddite » Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:59 pm

Majava wrote:C. Ronaldo....whose hero was he again? I don't think he made it once through the English defence (great defence!). The few times he was tackled, he was not clear and the offenders also still went for the ball. No. Mr. golden shoes (!) does not have what it takes!
To be fair to Ronaldo. Ashley Cole had an outstanding game. The best I've ever seen him play. Ronaldo wont have those problems against most Premiership full backs next season :!:

PS link :wink: