Attn: French people. Your country needs you.

Discuss sporting topics. Game announcements, sports talk and events.
stig

Post by stig » Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:13 pm

I would like to warn you:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 867383.stm

I mean, this cant be right can it?

This is just media nonsense right?

THIS CANT BE FOR REAL?????

Can it?

I really wouldn't advise it...

"Every sperm is sacred, every sperm is gooood.........."
- Phil. 17th June 2004

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

luddite

Post by luddite » Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:18 pm

I think he's just what the French need ;-)

And the Stade de France will have a larger capacity when Hoddle rips out all the disabled facilities ;-)

pierrot

Post by pierrot » Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:59 pm

Yeah and the germans asked Arsene Wenger..
Dont worry, it will be Tigana or Blanc ;)
Here in Finland, I have done everything I can to blend-in with the Finns, I've changed my hair color, wore differnet clothes, got different

ari

Post by ari » Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:30 am

As a spurs supporter and English

Hoddle would be great for England....err...I mean France....honest.

And if he doesn't get the France job, then Arsene Wenger should get the job and Hoddle take over a Arsenal!!!!
Ari

pierrot

Post by pierrot » Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:03 am

ari wrote:As a spurs supporter and English

Hoddle would be great for England....err...I mean France....honest.

And if he doesn't get the France job, then Arsene Wenger should get the job and Hoddle take over a Arsenal!!!!
Now where did that "great" Santini go again? :twisted:
Imagine if you fail to make a good team out of so many good players like you have in the french team, what can you do at all? :wink:
I hope you like the first division ;)
Here in Finland, I have done everything I can to blend-in with the Finns, I've changed my hair color, wore differnet clothes, got different

luddite

Post by luddite » Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:36 am

pierrot wrote:Dont worry, it will be Tigana or Blanc ;)
pierrot it seems Larry White is clear favourite but do you think he's the man for the job? Apart from Zidane saying he'll quit international football unless Blanc gets the job, he doesn't have any managerial experience at all does he?

pierrot

Post by pierrot » Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:08 am

luddite wrote:
pierrot wrote:Dont worry, it will be Tigana or Blanc ;)
pierrot it seems Larry White is clear favourite but do you think he's the man for the job? Apart from Zidane saying he'll quit international football unless Blanc gets the job, he doesn't have any managerial experience at all does he?
No, but thats not what the team needs. The team is running de facto on its own (it did that during the ec 2000), and knows best what strategy they need. Hence the french trainer should rather have a role of creating and maintaining a team instead of making big strategies or decisions.
It should be no problem for Blanc to create that team based on his authority and also popularity amongst the active players.
Santini changed the teams in almost every friendly, the effect of which you could really see well in the defense: there was no working defense in the french team, leading to such errors like from Desailly or Silvestre.
Once the team works again, they will win any game.

stig

Post by stig » Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:21 am

pierrot wrote: No, but thats not what the team needs. The team is running de facto on its own (it did that during the ec 2000), and knows best what strategy they need. Hence the french trainer should rather have a role of creating and maintaining a team instead of making big strategies or decisions.
Hmm... I'd heard that there was aggravation between Henry and Zidane - both believing that the team should be built around them. Of course the Pires V. Henry arguments have been well documented, amongst others (again, I'm basing my thoughts on the tabloid press here so feel free to shoot me down - although it does certainly sound possible).

So maybe your right, maybe your team needs someone who can simply pull the best from the players rather, a man-manager you can make the team work for eachother again. Rather than a master tactician.

Which does lead to the question... Why the flying fluck are they interviewing HODDLE??

The man is known as being no man manager... there were rumours that he didn't speak to some of the players that he didn't feel were up to the job at spurs for his entire tenure there.... If he WAS a master tactician, then yeah, maybe, if he had a brilliant eye for talent...well possibly... but to put it straight, he doesn't have ANY of that. Throw in some inflammatory comments about god, the disabled and various new-age medicine techniques and you come to the conclusion that the man is a liability. Even if he doesn't get it, what the hell is he doing on the short list...

I don't think he will get it, I can't see the french public being too happy about the national team being managed by an englishman...
Santini changed the teams in almost every friendly, the effect of which you could really see well in the defense: there was no working defense in the french team, leading to such errors like from Desailly or Silvestre.
Isn't that par for the course in international football these days? or at least it was until they recently changed the rules...
Once the team works again, they will win any game.
With an attitude like that, you could almost be English.... :)
- Phil. 17th June 2004

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:23 am

pierrot wrote: No, but thats not what the team needs. The team is running de facto on its own (it did that during the ec 2000), and knows best what strategy they need.
As long as the coach allows...
le laisser-faire.. or is it.. laissez-faire, which I think means..non-interventionism and let them do what come naturally..
and that it does not become...se laisser faire ...which could be..to let oneself be persuaded/talked into or to get pushed around by the team.
( Sorry..My French is almost forgotten!)
In sport French always seem to perform best when they just let it happen naturally..they seem to get in mess when they try to work to set plans.

pierrot

Post by pierrot » Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:47 am

stig wrote: Which does lead to the question... Why the flying fluck are they interviewing HODDLE??

The man is known as being no man manager... there were rumours that he didn't speak to some of the players that he didn't feel were up to the job at spurs for his entire tenure there.... If he WAS a master tactician, then yeah, maybe, if he had a brilliant eye for talent...well possibly... but to put it straight, he doesn't have ANY of that. Throw in some inflammatory comments about god, the disabled and various new-age medicine techniques and you come to the conclusion that the man is a liability. Even if he doesn't get it, what the hell is he doing on the short list...
Interviewing someone doesnt mean you take him ;)
The good old rule if looking for a new manager: talk with as many as possible, especially if you only have 2 real candidates, else it will look staged :)
As I said, the germans also talked with Wenger without any REAL chance of that ever happening. So its basicaly done to win time to get your own favorite through all barriers.
There is no fight between Henry and Zidane. The reported "Arsenal putsch" (Henry, Pires, Viera) never took place. The problem is that Henry is used to get his balls in the midfield and to sprint while Zidane is used to bring the balls into the opponents goalzone, making Henry´s surprise sprints very hard (it worked vs Switzerland towards the end when Switzerland left Henry more room).
Besides what works in the (offensive) premiere league doesnt work in (defensive) EM-Games.

stig

Post by stig » Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:19 pm

pierrot wrote: The good old rule if looking for a new manager: talk with as many as possible, especially if you only have 2 real candidates, else it will look staged :)
Indeed, and I hope for your sakes thats what they're doing. Just out of interest what are your thoughts on Tigana? He wouldn't be my first choice, but surely his experience would count for something in the eyes of the FFF?

It just seems to me that Blanc is too early on this one. Give him 5 years and a bit of experience and yes, I can definetly see him being national manager. If he doesn't get it, hiring him as assistant coach might not be a bad idea. Give him some good experience with a view to grooming him a bit more for the future.
There is no fight between Henry and Zidane. The reported "Arsenal putsch" (Henry, Pires, Viera) never took place.
Whether it happened or not, few would deny that France simply didn't play for eachother this EC. They looked like a group of talented individuals, and not a team. It wouldn't surprise me one little bit if there was animosity behind the scenes.
- Phil. 17th June 2004

pierrot

Post by pierrot » Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:49 am

Today at 11 AM we will know more.
I think it will be Domenech, cuz Jacquet favored him as he is the manager of the junior national team (-21) and managed most active national players when they were young.

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:18 am

Well one thing ias for certain..it is not Hoddle he wanted too much salary and too much technical control..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 867383.stm

I cant help thinking that Tigana might get the job...
Blanc has no coaching experience, while Tigana took Monaco to the French title in 1997 and steered Fulham into the Premiership in 2001.

pierrot

Post by pierrot » Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:20 am

PeterF wrote:Well one thing ias for certain..it is not Hoddle he wanted too much salary and too much technical control..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 867383.stm

I cant help think that Tigana might get the job...
From that article:
"France begin their 2006 World Cup qualifiers in September and are grouped with Ireland, Switzerland, Israel, Cyprus and the Faroe Islands."
Tough group :ochesey:

luddite

Post by luddite » Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:22 am

Englands group is class:
Group 6

ENGLAND
Poland
Austria
WALES
NORTHERN IRELAND
Azerbaijan
3 British teams :thumbsup:

I'll be watching a few of these in Helsinki too:
Group 1

Czech Republic
Netherlands
Romania
Finland
FYR Macedonia
Armenia
Andorra
Was contemplating two trips to Tallin to see Estonia v Portugal and Estonia v Russia too:
Group 3

Portugal
Russia
Slovakia
Latvia
Estonia
Liechtenstein
Luxembourg