Katiska placement

Discuss sporting topics. Game announcements, sports talk and events.
DMC

Katiska placement

Post by DMC » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:51 pm

I have just (a few days ago) started using a katiska and I am not too successful with it. I have caught a couple of small pike, and a handful of perch, but that is it. Can anyone advise where I should position the katiska for best effect? A bit of internet searching suggests near reeds or rocks, with the entrance facing the shore, but that is the extent of my knowledge.
Should the katiska go close to the shore or out in the lake? In the shallows or deep water? In the reeds or near the reeds? What else do I need to know?

Katiska placement

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Pursuivant

Re: Katiska placement

Post by Pursuivant » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:27 pm

Well, it depends on what time of the year & what fish you want to catch... the bottom etc... ;) ...like in the spring you want it in the reeds even half above water to catch some kutuhauki, in any case mark it well and don't just put a notch on the side of the boat where you dumped it. In the winter it might be a bit more challenging - you need a bigger avanto - but don't leave it in over winter under the ice, thats bad fishmanship.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Rosamunda

Re: Katiska placement

Post by Rosamunda » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:57 pm

DMC wrote:I have just (a few days ago) started using a katiska and I am not too successful with it. I have caught a couple of small pike, and a handful of perch, but that is it.
:thumbsup:

Sounds like you're doing reasonably well. As far as pike are concerned, the small ones are better than the big ones (if you're intending to eat them). It is very warm at the moment, lake water is probably well over 20 degs in the shallows, so catching anything at all is quite an achievement.

My SO says he leaves the katiska in places where he knows there are fish :? generally where the grass meets the water, among the rocks maybe. Then he went on and on :| about how wide the opening of the katiska needs to be: not too much, not too little.

HTH
:D