Cards on the table

Discuss sporting topics. Game announcements, sports talk and events.
luddite

Cards on the table

Post by luddite » Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:30 am

United make Rooney bid
Manchester United, Wednesday August 25 2004
Manchester United have reacted to Newcastle's £20million bid for Wayne Rooney by confirming their offer for the England international.

The Magpies had their approach rebuffed by Everton, with David Moyes insisting they would have to up their offer significantly.

However, it is believed United bid the same amount, with a spokesman saying: "I can confirm we have made an official bid for Wayne Rooney - and we have not had a response yet."

Boss Sir Alex Ferguson confirmed as much, adding on MUTV: "We've made a bid today - he's a fabulous player, he showed that at Euro 2004 - and is a young player.

"He's not the finished article yet, but we've got experience of bringing young players to the club and bringing them on."

The news will fuel talk of a conspiracy theory, which claims that Newcastle only bid for the 18-year-old to spark a bidding war with the Red Devils.

That in turn would supposedly allow them to submit an offer for Old Trafford defender John O'Shea, who is seemingly their No 1 target following the sale of Jonathan Woodgate to Real Madrid.

The move by United also totally contradicts comments by chief executive David Gill, who last week claimed that any move for Rooney would represent bad business.

He told a public Shareholders United meeting: "We could go out tomorrow and borrow the money to buy Wayne Rooney for £30-40million but it is bad business to end up with long-term debt for a short-term asset such as a player."

Earlier in the day, Magpies chairman Freddy Shepherd confirmed their offer was still on the table, despite Everton rejecting it.

"We have made our offer to Everton Football Club and it is still on the table as far as we are concerned.

"There is still plenty of time before the transfer window closes and Everton can pick up our offer any time they want to."
I bet we dont go over 25. Newcastle will bid £23.5 million tommorow (I hear). Everton want 30 :!:

Its all down to Shrek though I guess :!:

Cards on the table

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

luddite

Post by luddite » Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:16 am

Makes Sir Bobby look a bit of a plum though:
Sir Bobby Robson wrote:"Manchester United can't buy Rooney - the most famous and richest club in the world can't buy him.

"I know that Alex Ferguson would love him, so why don't they make an offer for him?

"All I can tell you is that we have made a £20m cash offer for Wayne Rooney. I understand it's been rejected but it has been left on the table. The bid is £20m and it's genuine."

simon

Post by simon » Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:42 am

Its a joke

£20 mill

I dont think he is that good. Lets hope MU get him another Forlan :D

luddite

Post by luddite » Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:07 am

simon wrote:Its a joke

£20 mill

I dont think he is that good. Lets hope MU get him another Forlan :D
We have more need for other players (eg replacements for Keane and Giggs). However I will be chuffed if we sign him. I think Saha will be a bit pissed off though :!:

luddite

Post by luddite » Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:01 pm

You've gotta laugh :lol:
Bellamy On Rooney: I Will Have To Review My Position

Just when you thought this whole Wayne Rooney saga couldn't descend into any more of a farce, last night's goalscorer Craig Bellamy blurted out live on Sky Sports that he would have to review his position at Newcastle, echoing Shola's comments yesterday, if Wayne Rooney was to sign for the Toon. A move that is looking increasingly unlikely.

Bellamy said:

"I love playing for Newcastle and I love everything about the club, but if Wayne Rooney comes, I will have to review my position because I am not sitting on the bench anywhere.

"I like Wayne Rooney a lot because he is a great player. He is my sort of player and it would be great for the club, but no good for Craig Bellamy.

"If he does come, I will have to consider my position."

Comments which prompted Bobby to blast back...

Bobby said:

"What Craig Bellamy should do is just honour his contract, all right? That is what he should do. At the moment, he is doing too much talking.

"He had a bit to say yesterday and he has signed a contract to play for Newcastle United Football Club. Honour the contract, Craig Bellamy, honour the contract like everybody else has to and just concentrate on playing and scoring goals for this club.

"If he is publicly saying that, then I am publicly replying to him, but I will tell him that face-to-face.

"What does he want to do? Does he want to be the manager or does he want to be the player?

"He is doing very well. That is what I am saying 'Hey Craig, just enjoy your football and score goals'. He has done well, but he can't make *threats to the club."

simon

Post by simon » Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:41 pm

Yeah that sounds right up Bellamys street little twåt

Good player but cockey little prick.