F1 - Watching Australian GP in Helsinki/Espoo?

Discuss sporting topics. Game announcements, sports talk and events.
rod

Post by rod » Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:50 pm

Hi F1/Kimi fans,

Does anyone know if there is a place in the Helsinki or Espoo area to watch the Australian Grand Prix live on TV with other fans?
I am coming to Helsinki for a long weekend and will be unhappy if I do not see the race live. Are there any bars, or public places to see Kimi Raikkonen (hopefully) win the grand prix?
(I will be staying in a hostel, so no TV to watch in the early hours.)

Thanks

Rod
:)

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:24 pm

Depends a bit what time its on exactly. Finns are a bit F1 mad, so you could ask for a place where it will not be shown. Now OK, if its on 4am or something silly like that, then its going to be harder to find a place, but I've been watching a race once 6am in a pub so it sort of depends on the craziness of the owner.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

rod

Post by rod » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:33 pm

Hank,

Thanks for replying.
I'm afraid it is one of those early-hours races (4am I think).

From what you have said about past GPs though, I am a little more confident that I may get to see it with other fans.

Fingers crossed.

Regards

Rod

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:58 pm

rod wrote:Hank,

Thanks for replying.
I'm afraid it is one of those early-hours races (4am I think).

From what you have said about past GPs though, I am a little more confident that I may get to see it with other fans.

Fingers crossed.

Regards

Rod
Alunn Grilli at Varasto..
http://www.mika-hakkinen.de/sites/featu ... cial-i.htm
Has always shown even early morning F1 races..
http://www.cc.jyu.fi/~lamaon/early.htm

It is where Mika Häkkinen worked as kitchen boy, as a youth.

" In 1983 Mika won the Nordic championship in FK Formula Nordic class. In those days one of the Mika's sponsors was a restaurant called Allun Grilli in Vantaa. In return Mika also used to wash up the dishes in the restaurant's kitchen..."

The atmosphere there is incredible.
Watching F1 with Häkkinen trophies on the bar and with guys who know him personaly.

Only problem is I am not sure about this season.
They are purists...and not too fond of the antics of Kimi R.
There has been too much muttering about Kimi being a "dick head" in the press.
Best phone them first to see if they are open..
Motor restaurant Allun Grilli
Riihitontuntie 1, Asko-Center, Varisto, FI-01720 Vantaa
tel. +358 9 8548 620, fax +358 9 8549 7490

rod

Post by rod » Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:41 pm

Peter,

Thank you for very useful info!!

I will try and contact the Allun Grilli and find out if they are 'open' for the race.

Regards

Rod :)

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:55 pm

Then just note that "Allun Grilli" is somewhat close to what I'd call arsendofuniverse, so getting there and back might prove challenging. Its in the middle of an industrial area with all the furniture halls. Yes I live some 3 miles from there and no I can't be caught walking there in -20 weather...
Cheers, Hank W.

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:52 am

Hank W. wrote:Then just note that "Allun Grilli" is somewhat close to what I'd call arsendofuniverse, so getting there and back might prove challenging. ..
Hee hee. :D ..It is a challenge.. :? .Taxi there is no problem...But as the race finish is at about 5.30AM on a Sunday morning.. :roll: ..Martinlaakso railway station is just 3 kilometers walk... :roll:

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:53 am

That is - if you know where to walk...
Cheers, Hank W.

otyikondo

Post by otyikondo » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:21 am

PeterF wrote:
Hank W. wrote:Then just note that "Allun Grilli" is somewhat close to what I'd call arsendofuniverse, so getting there and back might prove challenging. ..
Hee hee. :D ..It is a challenge.. :? .Taxi there is no problem...But as the race finish is at about 5.30AM on a Sunday morning.. :roll: ..Martinlaakso railway station is just 3 kilometers walk... :roll:
Alternative would be to break a window at Isku or Asko and kip down on one of their beds. Just make sure you are out by Monday morning when the staff come in.

I'd work on a charm offensive on someone on the Saturday. Provided your horizontal mambo wasn't too shabby, I'm sure they wouldn't mind your sneaking out of bed in the small hours to watch. And since our man has recently had a habit of either stalling on the starting line or blowing his MB cookies on Lap 3, you could be tucked up back in the sack again before long.

:)

rod

Post by rod » Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:32 pm

:D
L.O.L
I shall consider your advice carefully. I found Riihitontuntie1 (what a mouthful!) on the Vantaa map site and it does look a bit remote!

I might go for it if I haven't found anywhere more central in Helsinki by Saturday night.

Thanks to Hank and Peter for your help.

Rod