Floorball

Discuss sporting topics. Game announcements, sports talk and events.
RSH

Floorball

Post by RSH » Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:34 pm

Where can I begin to play this game at a social level? Or indeed is it even played socially here? Google searches tend to turn up proper teams that might demand some knowledge of the game. I'm looking for somewhere that will let me watch, train and eventually even play just with other social players.

Floorball

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

acwan

Post by acwan » Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:40 pm

My sense is that a lot of Finnish companies and schools have informal teams that play on a social basis. My company for instance has a regular weekly game at the nearby gym. Alternatively, a group of 5-6 interested friends (you might be able to find some interest on this forum for instance) could get together and find a gym to reserve some time to play "pick up" games.

RSH

Post by RSH » Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:58 pm

In the absence of a company (other than my own and really floor ball for 1 doesn't work!) or a school - does anyone want to play?!

or maybe instead of writing to Finnish companies asking for a job, I can be the foreigner that writes asking to play on their floor ball team!

superiorinferior

Re: Floorball

Post by superiorinferior » Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:17 pm

RSH wrote:Or indeed is it even played socially here?
I would guess that the hoards of young men and women toting floorball sticks all over town, in buses, trams, trunks of cars and everywhere else you turn around (much more prevalent that the ubiquitous tennis racket) that the majority of floorball players are not pro nor on "serious" teams.

RSH

Post by RSH » Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:23 pm

Ah but there is "playing socially" and there is playing as amateurs, determined to win at all cost and hauling you over the coals for not being good enough. The latter I am trying to avoid! Well winning is nice but it's the taking part isn't it...

I wasn't sure if it was such a serious sport here that it might be hard to let a newbie play..?

superiorinferior

Post by superiorinferior » Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:55 pm

RSH wrote:I wasn't sure if it was such a serious sport here that it might be hard to let a newbie play..?
You can always try 5th grade gym class.

RSH

Post by RSH » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:11 pm

I've always needed an excuse for hanging outside a high school gym...

meenfreem

Post by meenfreem » Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:34 pm

to answer your question... yes there is 'social' playing aswell... there are 6 divisions in Helsinki alone... BUT, teams tend to be groups of friends or companies. In other words, it's HARD to get involved... I've tried once, but I basicly got the cold shoulder. No hablo finnish, you won't be able to communicate... and I haven't found any english teams.

So I am toying with the idea to start an english speaking team... thing is, it costs... a lot! When I have the time to really dig into it, I'll ´come looking for players :) till then, I'll play rugby

RSH

Post by RSH » Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:02 pm

Great it's a start!

I know two others who will play, one Aussie, one Finn and that's without even looking.

Is the cost the hall hire?

Maybe see you at rugby (which I am also playing for something to do)

Just finished scoping out Pirkkola swimming and sports courts there. Anyone in the neighbour want to join in a little keep fit or most importantly even just the after exercise coffee (and for some smoke!) then get in touch.

greenhorn

Post by greenhorn » Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:28 am

Damn, why everything happens only in Helsinki?? :?

are there no Forum members from Hameenlinna, RSH I wanted to come to the get together today, but I am bit far from there :(