Wimbledon (tennis)

Discuss sporting topics. Game announcements, sports talk and events.
RSH

Wimbledon (tennis)

Post by RSH » Wed May 04, 2005 2:30 pm

As a former resident in SW18, this is going to be my first fix without strawberries and cream and Sue Barker for several years.

Will I be able to watch it here in a pub or if I purchase a TV or if I steal cable or shall I just get on the plane... ? (I do realise I can watch a great deal of it from the super website)

I can't find any championship tennis being played in these parts but please let me know if you find any. It's getting quit sad being offered discount tickets to Queens Cup whilst over here.

Wimbledon (tennis)

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

otyikondo

Post by otyikondo » Wed May 04, 2005 2:38 pm

Guesstimate: YLE will probably run the men's and women's semis onwards. If Jarkko Nieminen gets past the second round or even into week two, expect his games to be aired, at least on YLE Digital, where they will be live, and/or in recorded form on the normal terrestrial channels.

Wimbledon asks an arm and a leg for rights, so YLE doesn't splash out that much. And tennis isn't THAT big here, unless Nieminen pulls his socks up a bit.

Eurosport MIGHT be carrying it. It's available in some of the cable packages.

In a month or so I could probably give you more accurate information.

Apropos of "tennis isn't THAT big here", of course it isn't that big in England, either; it's just that people go nuts for two weeks and then ignore the whole thing for the next 50.

RSH

Post by RSH » Wed May 04, 2005 3:19 pm

The wonders of modern technology that an Australian tennis fan asks a website in Finland about watching a tennis match in England and gets an answer from Namibia!

otyikondo

Post by otyikondo » Wed May 04, 2005 3:26 pm

RSH wrote:The wonders of modern technology that an Australian tennis fan asks a website in Finland about watching a tennis match in England and gets an answer from Namibia!
You're welcome.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Wed May 04, 2005 6:46 pm

But first we have Roland Garros.... which I can watch live 8)

otyikondo

Post by otyikondo » Wed May 25, 2005 12:52 am

penelope wrote:But first we have Roland Garros.... which I can watch live 8)
And so will the rest of us be able to in a limited form, always assuming young Nieminen (who had the good fortune to meet a lame Andre Agassi today) progresses past Igor Andreyev and (probably, barring upsets) Nicolas Kiefer. Then he'll more than likely face Canas, who will take him to pieces, although he hasn't looked THAT sharp on clay this year.

Are Eurosport also covering it?

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Wed May 25, 2005 10:54 am

BBC report on the Nieminen v Andre Agassi match.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/4576429.stm

otyikondo

Post by otyikondo » Wed May 25, 2005 4:24 pm

Silly me. Of COURSE it's on Eurosport, and poor old Tim Henman is in deep doody right now, being given the run-around by Luis Horna. 2-1 down and I fear he's got about a set left in him. Big-hitting fella, the Perunavian dude.

Edit: He's really making life hard for himself. A break down in the fourth.

Bye-bye, Timbo.