Fitness Classes in English?

Discuss sporting topics. Game announcements, sports talk and events.
katieg

Post by katieg » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:01 pm

Hello everyone!

I know that this topic has been asked before, but not recently. Are there any good fitness classes in English that people can recommend? I haven't yet got the courage to turn up to one that is entirely in Finnish! I'm not looking for anything too advanced- just something that is fun, good for the body and with friendly people.

Thank you!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Querfeldein

Re: Fitness Classes in English?

Post by Querfeldein » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:49 am

It may only loosely fit your request, but "Helsinki Running Crew" is bilingual Finnish / English. Meeting every Tuesday at 6pm in the lobby of Töölönhalli, but other runs are arranged by members as well. It's free, non-committal, and you can find out more on facebook.

Cory

Re: Fitness Classes in English?

Post by Cory » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:17 pm

If you talk to the instructors at most fitness clubs and explain that you'd need the first few instructions translated into English, most instructors will do that. You need not look for 100% English classes. The language in these classes is pretty basic so it'd be a good way for you to pick up a few words in Finnish, too!

I'm in Turku so can't really help you if you're looking for something in Helsinki but if you contact Sarianne Norberg at the Helsinki YMCA (she speaks great English) she'd be able to put you in touch with someone. She's responsible for the Taekwondo courses at the Y but is lovely to speak with and knowledgeable about other resources at the Y. If you're interested, I'll send you her number in a PM.