Looking for a beagle breeder/beagle advice

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
tampereblue

Post by tampereblue » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:06 am

Hi

We've been thinking long and hard about taking on a dog for a while. I am more against it but my wife really wants one, specifically a beagle. We've no doubt got the space and the energy for a beagle, and I work from home so it wouldn't very often get left alone.

Anyone got a beagle, or recommend anywhere to look for advice and any good reputable breeders we could talk to?

Long shot I know, as we've been looking for ages....but if anyone can help...

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:19 am

Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

tampereblue

Thanks Hank

Post by tampereblue » Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:18 pm

Cheers for the links, we'll keep on searching and hope to get one in September time. I'm warming to the little fellas now....

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:17 pm

My brother in law has beagles, but he doesnt breed them. We just got a flat-coated retriever, thought about beagles but decided not to after he told us stories of roaming the forest in midwinter -35 degrees armed with his GPS locator thingy. Beagles have a tendancy to follow the tracks of every passing rabbit, hare, pheasant, fox etc etc. His now wear GPS collars whenever they are out hunting or not on leash.

tampereblue

Post by tampereblue » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:32 am

penelope wrote:My brother in law has beagles, but he doesnt breed them. We just got a flat-coated retriever, thought about beagles but decided not to after he told us stories of roaming the forest in midwinter -35 degrees armed with his GPS locator thingy. Beagles have a tendancy to follow the tracks of every passing rabbit, hare, pheasant, fox etc etc. His now wear GPS collars whenever they are out hunting or not on leash.
Yes, we have read a lot about their tendancy to roam. My grandmother used to have one that 'relocated itself' several times. The solution, by all accounts, is to keep them on the leash when out basically. I guess we'll be looking for a long leash!

emimi

Post by emimi » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:08 pm

If you're not planning to hunt with the future beagle, consider getting a puppy from a show bloodline - those don't have as strong hunting instincts as the hunting bloodline ones.

Actually I have no idea if there are separate bloodlines in Beagles, but the breeders will give advice for sure.