Shopping carts

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
gerg_861

Shopping carts

Post by gerg_861 » Tue Oct 14, 2003 10:47 am

O.k., here is one thing that I was wondering if anyone else had noticed...when you go to a finnish supermarket (never mind how many k's it has), finns are liable to leave their carts virtually anywhere and walk off! You'll be walking down the supermarket aisle, looking for a good chunk of leipajuusto, and boom a cart blocks your path and the owner is nowhere in sight so you have to double back and find an unblocked path to your tasty lakkadeliverysystem cheese. I pointed this out to Sanna, and she said that yes it was quite normal to which I replied that similar behavior would get your a** kicked in the states. So, in short, has anyone else noticed this or do am I just lucky in having encountered this about 50 times in Lahti?

That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die.

Shopping carts

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

MinnaRaisanen

carts

Post by MinnaRaisanen » Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:25 am

I agree, the abandoned cart syndrome is quite annoying, but not as bad as the abandoned stroller situation! I don't know if it's just because of where I live or what, but there are HUGE strollers everywhere that seem to have 'drivers' that think they are at the wheel of a mack truck and like to run people down with them!! Those 'drivers' are also the ones who bring those larger than life strollers into crowded shops and jam the entire place up!! :evil: These massive strollers (prams) are left more in the middle of isles and such than the shopping strollers...in my neck of the woods that is...
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

George Bernard Shaw

hj

Post by hj » Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:34 pm

I just move the offending cart out of the way! As if some inanimate object is going to impede my progress...

deojuvame

Post by deojuvame » Tue Oct 14, 2003 6:32 pm

I haven't really ever noticed this! All of the shopping carts I've seen have been the kind where they're all chained together, and you pop in the 1 euro or 50 cent coin in to get the cart and you get it back when you put the cart back.

Re: That happens alot in America too:)lol

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:09 am

katrina wrote:People abandon carts in America too:)
And in Holland...

tgabawm

Post by tgabawm » Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:19 am

In France we do the same... and with the trolleys...
If the drop would say "I am unnecesary", there would be no ocean.
(M. Quoist)

shazman

Post by shazman » Thu Oct 16, 2003 5:45 pm

nope that wont happen where Im from...

in the east end you get stabbed for doing stuff like that, to be honest you get stabbed for anything in the east end (ie your shoelaces arent tied properly :?)

So maybe we should start doing that.... it worked for me :D
Image Image Anteeksi, olen ulkomalainen!

gavin

Post by gavin » Thu Oct 16, 2003 7:16 pm

What :?:

If I'm shopping, I don't want to lug that 50 kilos of food about all over the place with me... I rekon it's the best thing to leave your trolly in a safe location while you undertake on the futile search for quality underwear in Citymarket!

Clearly, people are either:

dog/cat
love marmite/puke at the whif
trolly huggers/trolly abandoners

It's just one of those things. It's all a bit misty, but I'm pretty sure that I also did that in the UK way back...

Cheers
Gavin

neil

Post by neil » Thu Oct 16, 2003 7:54 pm

Yes, I believe ACS is an increasing problem in the developed world! :P
Neil

Please add a link to https://www.finlandforum.org

Deman

Re: Shopping carts

Post by Deman » Thu Oct 16, 2003 11:37 pm

gerg_861 wrote:So, in short, has anyone else noticed this or do am I just lucky in having encountered this about 50 times in Lahti?
I haven't noticed this at all. It used to p*** me off in Ireland when people did this and it was a welcome surprise when I came to Finland that nobody, that I noticed, did this same annoying habit.

Maybe it's just Lahti :?

gavin

Re: Shopping carts

Post by gavin » Thu Oct 16, 2003 11:44 pm

Deman wrote:
gerg_861 wrote:So, in short, has anyone else noticed this or do am I just lucky in having encountered this about 50 times in Lahti?
I haven't noticed this at all. It used to p*** me off in Ireland when people did this and it was a welcome surprise when I came to Finland that nobody, that I noticed, did this same annoying habit.

Maybe it's just Lahti :?
Keep clear of Hamina and Kotka then Kids :wink:

You wouldn't want to pick a fight with me :twisted:

Cheers
Trolley Abandoner

kultary

Post by kultary » Fri Oct 17, 2003 1:54 pm

In my younger, rebellious days, we used to do this as sport. We would fill the shopping cart with as much perishable products as possible, leave it in the middle of the aisle & then leave the store.

I've grown up quite a bit since then. Plus, in Finland, I want the deposit for the cart back.

jcooper

Post by jcooper » Fri Oct 17, 2003 9:29 pm

Totally agree, actually it funny,

In the US I worked in a SuperK as a student, basically people would come in, slouch over a trolley and maybe only pick up 4 items rather than carry a basket. Then they'd leave them all over town, in which concerned granny's felt obliged to ring in a get you to drive over and collect it.

In Ireland where I'm from, the every so environmentally conscious shoppers would simply either

a) if there was a water source nearby, throw the trolley in the water either canal, river, lake, whatever

or

b) They'd throw em off high rise if that was available

Finally in Holland the locals would abandon them in a queue wander off for 5 mins to pick up their Leerdammer and then come back and expect to resume their previous position! God damn that pissed me off, then if you did not wait for them to come back, they'd gently ram the trolley into your ass thinking that I'd not notice. Definitely, the worst!
Who is this dog Franks?