australians in finland

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Flossy1978

Re: australians in finland

Post by Flossy1978 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:24 am

Can't have anything to do with you LOL. Melbourne was just voted best city in the world to live. Helsinki came 7th. You're too good for the rest of us non Melbourne Aussies LOL LOL LOL. How does it feel to come from the best city? Since I am mostly from Sydney, although I grew up all over the country (Army Brat). And as I grew up, we use to think Melbourne was the most boring place possible, with terrible weather and an upside down river running through the middle of it LOL. Sorry LOL.

P.S I'd not live in Sydney anymore. Too crowded and stuff. But I'd live in Melbourne :)

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

markbaker

Post by markbaker » Thu May 24, 2012 1:30 pm

Thought I would bump it up and get a refresher on the thread.

I am Aussie from country Victoria, good ole Ballarat. Just thought I would introduce myself and see who's about and what people are up to in Finland. My names Mark and I'm hear following my girl around the world.

Be safe! enjoy ;) :beer_yum:

Flossy1978

Post by Flossy1978 » Thu May 24, 2012 4:10 pm

Hi.

I know Ballarat. I spent a lot of time there growing up. Spent a lot of time in Geelong aswell. I was born in Hamilton and also lived in Puckapunyal and Melbourne for some time, so I know all of that Victoria area.

Welcome to Finland :)

T:Michelle

Kutittaa

Post by Kutittaa » Thu May 24, 2012 4:16 pm

Ok then. Might as well chime in. I'm from upper Byron Bay and I live in Oulu here. Though I do travel a lot. There's quite a few fellow Australians here in Oulu. :)
I̶f I can find any way to insult someone, believe me I will.

markbaker

Post by markbaker » Thu May 24, 2012 5:30 pm

Hey Michelle!

You have lived in a lot of places in Vic. I have also lived in Geelong for a few years mainly on the east side of town and also in Ocean Grove for a while.

Kutittaa...Byron Bay! that place is amazing beaches for miles.

Kutittaa

Post by Kutittaa » Thu May 24, 2012 6:59 pm

Byron is gorgeous. Albeit a little expensive. I've walked all the way from one end of Byron to the other. If it wasn't for rocky point and wattegoes you could drive from one side to the other. Enjoy your time in Finland :) we're getting the nicest part of summer here whilst the rest of us freeze back home.

Flossy1978

Post by Flossy1978 » Thu May 24, 2012 7:44 pm

Well, I believe I might be the only Australian in all of Nurmijärvi :) I love living where I do. It's so peaceful, yet so near to everything.

Yeah, this is the best time of the year..... Ha ha..... wait till October hits.... and November.... and December.... LOL. Well, I don't mind January and Febuary, because even though it's bloody cold, it's usually at least sunny and you can go out and do stuff in it.

I can't be in the sun anymore in Australia. Even with a hat, high factor suncream I burn within 30 minutes. I have Irish White skin, whiter than the Fins, complete with freckles. So I like Finland because I can be outside in the summer and not burn as much :)

T:Michelle

Kutittaa

Post by Kutittaa » Thu May 24, 2012 7:50 pm

There's still lots of sun in Byron. It's been raining the past 2 months but it was sunny when I left and apparently it's still pretty warm. Won't be for long though.

Flossy1978

Post by Flossy1978 » Thu May 24, 2012 7:52 pm

Did you return to Finand Kutittaa? I read your other posts about leaving.

Kutittaa

Post by Kutittaa » Thu May 24, 2012 10:16 pm

Yup I returned :)

Flossy1978

Post by Flossy1978 » Fri May 25, 2012 6:14 am

Good for you!

Hope it's more successful this time around for you :)

Kutittaa

Post by Kutittaa » Fri May 25, 2012 1:00 pm

'Last time' was plenty successful. Leaving was a dumb idea, like everyone here said it would be. Was nice to take a break and after the initial shock of getting back, the 'holiday' was nice. Though it sort of feels like I never left. I'm definitely going to do some travelling around Europe though this time. Going back home is too far.. at least it's cheap as chips to get a return 'FROM' Finland..

My advice to anyone and everyone is, if you are planning on going back to Aust for a bit, get a return FROM Finland. It doesn't cost much at all. But getting a ticket FROM Australia to Finland costs a fortune, return or not. Due to the lack of competition.

Jussi

Post by Jussi » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:02 am

Kutitaa, are you Helsinki based? or up in the wild north?

I'm just moving south from Oulu area to Helsinki - following work as mine up north fell over.

Also, for everyone, anyone here interested in AFL in finland? anyone involved in it?
But what shall it profit a people if they satisfy all material desires, but leave for their children nothing, only a wasteland.

Flossy1978

Post by Flossy1978 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:21 am

I think he lives in Oulu.

I've never heard of AFL in Finland. I tried to get my child into cricket. I found somewhere in lower Finland where cricket is played, but had no luck getting my child into the sport. Maybe there's Rugby here? It's certainly more wellknown than AFL around the world.

Työelämä

Post by Työelämä » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:34 am

I found some Indians and Pakistanis playing crickets at Helsinki Itäkeskus, close to the uimahalli there is an open field where people play football and sometimes rugby. If you are lucky you can catch them during the evenings of Saturdays and Sundays.