australians in finland

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
LostOzzie

Re: australians in finland

Post by LostOzzie » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:24 pm

Another one here, living in Espoo.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Pete

Post by Pete » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:10 pm

Do any of you have a motorbike license? I would like some company to go minibike riding at a go-kart track out here in Vantaa.
Just about everyone i know either doesn't ride or if they do they can't ride very fast... :lol:
Here is a link to the track if you are keen!
http://www.vmkarting.com/?page_id=4&lang=en

paulrenn

Post by paulrenn » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:13 am

VM is a good karting track. I wouldn't wanna do the bikes but would be up for karting sometime there!
(Are poms allowed to post in this thread?!)
Paul

Pete

Post by Pete » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:30 pm

paulrenn wrote:VM is a good karting track. I wouldn't wanna do the bikes but would be up for karting sometime there!
(Are poms allowed to post in this thread?!)
Hahaa, yeah Poms are allowed here!
Here is a quick vid of me riding at VM the other day. I had the riding itch and so had to go and get it out of my system...

facc

Post by facc » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:23 am

Hi guys,

I posted something earlier today in another forum before I discovered this thread, so this is a cut and paste ... apologies if you have read it already ...

------------------
G'day fellow Aussies,

ABC Radio is looking for an Aussie living in Finland to take part in the "Around the World" segment of their Overnight Program.

The "Around the World" segment is broadcast every Saturday morning across Australia, and includes an interview with an Aussie living abroad. The producer of the Overnight Program is looking for someone from Finland to participate this week.

If you are interested in participating, please send me an email immediately. Include brief details about who you are, where you live, what you do and how long you have been in Finland. Aussies who have lived in Finland for more than a few years, but not all their life, are probably more interesting candidates for this particular segment.

If you are worried about sending all that information through this forum, you can also get me through the Finland Australia Chamber of Commerce (http://www.finland.com.au). I am the Honorary Secretary of the Chamber. Use the general email address [email protected].

Hope to hear from you soon.

Geoff

luckynora

Post by luckynora » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:15 pm

Hey Mates...

Just registered today! Im an australian living in tampere.. came here in February this year... any melbourians here? :)

Flossy1978

Post by Flossy1978 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:25 pm

I am an Australian from Mosman/Cremorne in NSW.

I've lived in Finland for 11 years, most of it in the Haaga/Lassila area.

Now I live in Klaukkala. But I badly need to move back to Haaga, but I can't find anywhere :(

My son's Mummi and Ukki live there and I am like their daughter. So they want us both back near them, not alone here in Klaukkala. Not having any luck finding a place though :(

One day I'll get a place :)

I've lived in Vaasa. Many years ago though. It's a beautiful place, especially the outer Swedish speaking villages. They're so friendly! And they love Aussies there :)

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:56 am

Funny you, my work is in Haaga/Lassila end and cottage a few km from Klaukkala :lol:
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Flossy1978

Post by Flossy1978 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:34 am

Let me guess.... You work in those nice big Tieto.. buildings? Everything else is dwarfed by them LOL. Oh wait, there's Sampo. Maybe you work there LOL. I think Tieto belongs to Haaga. Lassila is only on the other side of the main road. Tiny overpriced suburb, but a lovely place to live :) They tried to make it a rich man's area, but then the Helsinki built City Housing and that was the end of their little rich suburb dreams LOL. The City Housing there isn't bad, it has a good reputation. The City Housing buildings look a lot nicer than the the private housing these days.

Well, if anyone knows of a place in Haaga, preferably Pohjois-Haaga where the rent isn't over 800€ (it's really cheaper to buy a place these days!), oh and you can bring a farm with, then let me know :) I have three rabbits, a marsu and an assortment of snails from around the world. I am offically banned from going into pet stores LOL.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:58 am

Flossy1978 wrote: The City Housing there isn't bad, it has a good reputation.

Yeah, the whole burb is full of ancient old ladies - trying to visit the bank takes half a day.
The City Housing buildings look a lot nicer than the the private housing these days.
Lassila is a predecessor of toilet-tile architechture, brickstacking instead of bricklaying, and they forgot the builders caravan containers at the Teboil end...

Flossy1978

Post by Flossy1978 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:08 pm

LOL.

Still, it's a lot nicer looking than it they use to look LOL. I always wondered why they didn't just tear it all down and rebuild. I know Pohjois-Haaga they changed all the putkit, outer walls, balconies etc. I assume the same with Lassila. Would have been cheaper to just build new buildings LOL.

Well, I lived on the other side of the road when I lived there. In the crappy, but private overpriced never changed kitchens flats LOL. And they really are full of old women. We had one next door and the owner of our flat told her off. He told her, they are having a child. Babies cry and make noise, I don't want to hear about it. She also complained there was cat !"#¤% smell coming from our bathroom to her's. Ummmm, we didn't have any cats LOL. Though we did years earlier and they went onto her balcony and destroyed her overpriced summer flowers LOL.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:14 pm

The old ladies are grumpy as they couldn't afford Töölö :lol:

BTW you know they're refurbishing the train stations on the M-track as they're building the "airport loop", they've dismantled Martinlaakso station totally. Wonder what they can do to improve P-Haaga though, TNT remodelling?

Flossy1978

Post by Flossy1978 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:14 pm

I think the airport train line will become just like the ones in my home country. Insanely overpriced and I believed hardly used LOL. Cheaper to take a taxi and easier to take a bus LOL.

The whole area use to be ok, but I don't know what happened. Thugs obviously used all the space up on the metro in East Helsinki for their crap spray painting, so they decided to come over and overtake the M Line with it LOL. I remember when it use to be nice and clean,P.Haaga station, then you'd go onto Kannelmäki and it was like a whole different city LOL. I don't include the drunks in this. What's Finland without old drunks at the trainstations? I think they're pretty nice people too. Use to always help me hold the doors open when I had my son in a pram :) So I can forgive them for the stench LOL.

But still. I love living in Klaukkala and I don't want to leave here to move back to the rat race with overpriced tiny flats. But what can you do? I'll make it back to Klaukkala one day LOL.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:50 pm

We don't have private trains yet, so it'll be a regional YTV ticket, same trains as now.

Flossy1978

Post by Flossy1978 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:00 pm

Ah, ok. But you know the Finnish Gov. There'll be some kind of !"#¤% tax added for some !"#¤% reason to make the price higher LOL. This is the only thing which is a sure thing in Finland LOL.