Copenhagen vs Helsinki

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
grasshopper

Copenhagen vs Helsinki

Post by grasshopper » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:42 am

Hi,

I'm curious how you guys would compare Helsinki vs Copenhagen in terms of "funness" - and how the Danes compare to the Finns in terms of general acceptance of English-speaking foreigners.

Thanks.

Copenhagen vs Helsinki

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

ojanm

Post by ojanm » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:11 am

I don't think there's a big difference in the attitude. In the biggest cities people are used to foreigners, though in Denmark the number of outlanders is greater.

Fun? I don't know about that really. :wink:

Quin

Post by Quin » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:03 am

I think it is pretty straighforward about the 'funnes'

It is as much fun as you make it yourself. That goes for both cities. I been going out in both and had great time in both. Just go with some friends and entertain yourself with the 'locals'

chickensexer

Post by chickensexer » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:35 pm

Quin wrote:I think it is pretty straighforward about the 'funnes'

It is as much fun as you make it yourself. That goes for both cities. I been going out in both and had great time in both. Just go with some friends and entertain yourself with the 'locals'
Or with local newspapers. Since many of them in Copenhagen seemed to be in Arabic it was quite entertaining to figure out what there were writing about. And observing a person who is trying to figure that out is a source of entertainment by itself. :lol:

Another "funnes" was trying to find a lunch place that would serve a meal on a plate with fork and knife as opposed to countless sandwich places with "oekologisk" bread.

The customer service seemed.. hm.. challenged over there. But the sight of local waitresses was a real reward, indeed.
Last edited by chickensexer on Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sammy

Post by sammy » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:42 pm

chickensexer wrote:Another "funnes" was trying to fund a lunch place that would serve a meal on a plate with fork and knife as opposed to countless sandwich places with "oekologisk" bread.
Well, this is not so much of a surprise when one remembers that Smørrebrød is almost one of Denmark's national symbols :lol:

Can't remember whether Copenhagen was cheaper or more expensive than Helsinki in general... but the beer and those sandwiches were really good! Especially the Smørrebrød with Matjes herring.

LilWabbit(unsubscribed)

Pros and Cons

Post by LilWabbit(unsubscribed) » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:34 pm

On the whole Copenhagen is more lively and cosmopolitan, Helsinki cleaner, quieter and lovelier in summer. On the surface, both cities boast a wide range of international cuisine, but somehow "international cuisine" in Helsinki winds up "nationalized" in a jiffy in order for the restaurants to woo the tastebud-challenged Finns in profitable numbers. Pity how many an ethnic joint in Helsinki started out with mouth-watering dishes, only to degenerate into insipid mediocrity under the same menu titles three months into their opening. I guess it goes back to the point about "cosmopolitanism". And the point that Copenhagen has a considerably greater number of immigrants per each national cuisine.

The street scene in Copenhagen is not quite as jubilant as that of Helsinki on fridays with its usual hordes of drool-dripping hobos and inebriated teenagers. On balance, the profound concept of "no-smoking area" is yet to dawn on the Danes.

Richard

Re: Pros and Cons

Post by Richard » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:52 pm

LilWabbit wrote:On balance, the profound concept of "no-smoking area" is yet to dawn on the Danes.

... whereas in Finland, they are marked as shown below, and clearly understood to mean "We'd prefer you not to smoke, but if you are going to anyway please leave your cigarette butts under this sign" ;)

grasshopper

Post by grasshopper » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:26 am

You guys are knocking Finland down, but have you ever experienced a night out in Paris?

I kid you not in one night I saw:

a white French guy getting kicked practically to death by two Africans near Les Halles;

a group of 10 "suburban" kids (mostly of North African & African descent) run around Chalet "happy slapping" - i.e. where they run by pedestrians and violently punch one in the face before running off;

5 homeland French bums beating on a 6th bum with beer bottles;

racially harassed by a group of North Africans;

AND had to sit through another night of having French people (the open-minded ones at least) complain about how much they hate France/Paris.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:37 am

Well, Helsinki being cosmopolitan, we get 1, 3 and 5 easily. Happyslapping isn't a fad here yet - though there was a small piece of news 8 kids tried something like that to some 30+ guy in Oulu, apparently the police are looking for kids with missing teeth...
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

grasshopper

Post by grasshopper » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:28 pm

Sad sad sad

Violence that big of a problem in Helsinki?

I'd say in Paris, most of the violence and threats/harassment come from the suburban hood rats who take the RER into the city and loiter around because they have nothing else to do at night.

The French who live in the center are fairly "meek" and passive, in fact, maybe some of the most restrained and "meek" around, although I wonder if that's not why they sometimes seem to display passive-aggressive behavior.

bill

Post by bill » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:26 pm

Just came back from CPH. Very nice place, but very dirty indeed.

I am always complaining about how dirty HEL is but CPH beats it hands down. CPH is move lively and laid back. People are more civilized about drinking.

There are some rowdy people, but they are nearly always Swedes.

Also I noticed that CPH seems a little more "backwards" than HEL. In many places I was told that they only accept Danish credit cards and in those places that did take my Sampo Visa, they charged me an extra 4.75%, which really pissed me off.

Here in Finland I have used my American Visa credit card to buy a 2 EUR soda and never been bothered. I also just returned from Estonia, where they all happily took my Finnish credit card, even at the corner mom and pop store.

Also, Danish people seem on the heavier side, the women being not nearly as hot as I see them in Estonia, for example.
ack, thhhttpo, snort !!!!

chickensexer

Post by chickensexer » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:46 pm

Bill, what did you think about their customer service in CPH, especially in restaurants? And about food in general?

And hei, quit all that Estonian girls fascination, guys. Pleaaaase.. You make it sound like stagger paradise or something... :roll:

bill

Post by bill » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:08 pm

chickensexer wrote:Bill, what did you think about their customer service in CPH, especially in restaurants? And about food in general?
The only customer service I can speak of relates to restaurants and hotels. Restaurant service was pretty good, probably better than HEL. People smiled more. The food was quite good as well. Excellent beer. I stayed at the First Vesterbro, near Tivoli. The staff was quite competent, though they always had a hard time finding a taxi for me, but they tried, even when it mean to flag one down the street.
And hei, quit all that Estonian girls fascination, guys. Pleaaaase.. You make it sound like stagger paradise or something... :roll:
Sorry man, but it IS true :P
ack, thhhttpo, snort !!!!

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:23 pm

chickensexer wrote: And hei, quit all that Estonian girls fascination, guys. Pleaaaase.. You make it sound like stagger paradise or something... :roll:
It is... if you like women with metal teeth even a looser like me can score...
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

chickensexer

Post by chickensexer » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:55 pm

bill wrote:The only customer service I can speak of relates to restaurants and hotels. Restaurant service was pretty good, probably better than HEL. People smiled more. The food was quite good as well.
Heh, lucky you. I was hm.. disappointed about both. :?
Sorry man, but it IS true
And hei, you enjoy rubbing it in, don't ya? :roll:
It is... if you like women with metal teeth even a looser like me can score...
Quit your whining, you are the god in flesh of this forum. And divine flesh counts!

Uhm... or may be I should just shut up and go back to my pinot noir... :oops: