Dog questions

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
amayer

Dog questions

Post by amayer » Sun Oct 19, 2003 7:49 pm

Hi all:

Hope I'm not repeating anything, but I couldn't find answers to these questions anywhere, so....

1. Renting apartments while having a dog
a. How difficult is it to find apartments or other housing that will allow dogs (or cats, rabbits, pets in general)?
b. Is it more difficult to find a pet-friendly rental place in large cities like Helsinki, or in the outskirts?
c. Are there usually size restrictions on dogs? (I have a very large dog... 45kg)
d. Do they usually charge some sort of up-front pet security deposit or monthly fee? If so, any experience on how much?

2. Public transportation
a. Are dogs (other than blind-assistant ones) allowed on public transportation, and if so...
b. Are muzzles required? Only on public transportation, or in other public places such as parks?

Thanks much!

Audrey

Dog questions

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

jcooper

Post by jcooper » Mon Oct 20, 2003 9:39 am

Hey dunno about question 1, but as for two, I've seen all manner of dogs not just the guide dog kind either and none have been wearing a muzzle, now as for whether there is a dog fare, I've no idea on that one.

Seems the only animal you don't see on a bus is a cat, and thats not a bad thing either.
Who is this dog Franks?

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:33 am

Well, we have 3-4 big dogs and a few pooches in ouir building, so it depends really. Some private landlords might have a 'no pets' policy. Though even if you find a flat if its a big/loud dog then it better be trained to be quiet, as otherwise the neighbors will get stroppy. The sound insulation in buildings is generally crap.

What you want to look for when renting is the proximity to a park area. Not really that difficult though.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

eashton

Re: Dog questions

Post by eashton » Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:17 pm

amayer wrote:Hi all:

Hope I'm not repeating anything, but I couldn't find answers to these questions anywhere, so....

1. Renting apartments while having a dog
a. How difficult is it to find apartments or other housing that will allow dogs (or cats, rabbits, pets in general)?
b. Is it more difficult to find a pet-friendly rental place in large cities like Helsinki, or in the outskirts?
c. Are there usually size restrictions on dogs? (I have a very large dog... 45kg)
d. Do they usually charge some sort of up-front pet security deposit or monthly fee? If so, any experience on how much?

2. Public transportation
a. Are dogs (other than blind-assistant ones) allowed on public transportation, and if so...
b. Are muzzles required? Only on public transportation, or in other public places such as parks?

Thanks much!

Audrey
What kind of dog? :) I have a Saint Bernard. I don't know about renting, but Helsinki is very dog friendly by comparison to the US. Dogs are allowed on public transit although I don't know if they are allowed on it everywhere. The trains have pet-allowed cars and the buses/trams do as long as it's not rush hour as I recall.

Dog parks are all over the place and are usually nicely kept, http://www.hkr.hel.fi/viher/koiraaitaus.html . I've got pictures and descriptions of all the ones downtown that I've been working on making into an article that should be finished sometime before the end of the year too.

http://www.hel.fi/hkl/index_e.html is the Helsinki public transit website though I don't see any direct information about pets.

There was recently some public order, http://www.intermin.fi/intermin/hankkee ... 9B002881CE , so come prepared to scoop poop. The dog parks have composters, too, which is really nice.

Also, be sure to read http://www.mmm.fi/el/julk/lemtuoen.html which has what you'll need to know about bringing your dog into .fi. The passage is trivial if you have all the paperwork prepared.

One word of advice on the airlines since you'll have an enormous crate as I had with my Saint, check and recheck the airline and the size of the plane/cargo compartment and try to fly through smaller airports. We flew from Boston to Keflavik without a problem, but in Stockholm I had to stand at the window of the gate watching the ground crew try and shove my dog through the cargo door that was clearly too small and nearly screamed. The solution was the gate people taking us down to the tarmac to hold him while they disassembled and reassembled the crate inside the cargo hold. I wasn't amused, especially when I had explicity asked several times of the booking agent to be damn sure that crate, whose measurements I gave, would fit on each of the planes. Aside from that, however, the trip with him was far more uneventful than I had envisioned for an 11 year-old first time flyer.

If you're worried about buying the same kibble here as in the US, I've noticed Science Diet and Nutro's just about everywhere...but they are a lot more expensive here. I buy the 15kg [ ~40lb. ] bags of Nutro's lamb and rice for HB which is about 49euro. I seem to remember it being about $32 or so in NH.

I don't think your dog will be a problem renting...it's finding a place to rent that you can afford in the area you want that's hard.

amayer

Post by amayer » Mon Oct 20, 2003 4:09 pm

All:

Wow! Answers to questions I didn't even think to ask... thank you! I'll have to keep the barking issue in mind. It does sound like there is certainly more dog-friendly than here, and that Helsinki is a lot like othere European cities I've been to in that respect (although, I do have to say that the dogs in restaurants in Prague was a bit unnerving).

Eashton:

She's a Polish Tatra Sheepdog... a livestock guardian dog:

http://www.ptsca.com/

Thanks for the food info... I do feed her Nutro for big dogs (has that stuff for hips in there).

And a big thanks for the airlines info... just what I would expect, considering the grief I've gone through with just a cat. Should you ever find yourself flying into or out of southern California with an animal (doesn't matter what size), stay the hell away from Ontario Airport. If I had a quarter for the number of times they've almost made me miss my flight home over a stinking cat (with alllll the vet papers, mind you...)... Nothing like walking through O'Hare Airport with a cat carrier COVERED in quarrentine stickers. In a carrier that definitely would have fit under the seat, mind you.... Grrrrrr... never again!

Oh... here I use plastic grocery bags as poop-scoopers/disposers. Is Helsinki on the canvas grocery bag program, and if so, what do you use for poop-scoopers?

Thanks again!!

Audrey

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Oct 20, 2003 4:25 pm

amayer wrote: what do you use for poop-scoopers?
You can buy 'doggie bags' in the store :mrgreen: ...and actually one new sort is biodegradeable.

Mind you, Finnish plastic bags aren't your flimsey-whimsey rattling things but really heavy stuff... carrying several might make you look like a bag lady :mrgreen: Canvas bags - yes, you can buy those, but really sometimes they lack quality.. I use them for laundry to wash my socks in - the washing machine hasn't eaten any since. :mrgreen:
Cheers, Hank W.

shazman

Post by shazman » Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:48 am

or use freezer bags... they are a lot cheaper and make sure you get the 2 litre bags.... otherwise you will end up with spillage :?
Image Image Anteeksi, olen ulkomalainen!

Alicia

Dogs in this house, on trains

Post by Alicia » Tue Oct 21, 2003 12:00 pm

There are 10 apartment in this house and 6 have dogs and one had two big dogs. I think they are very dog friendly compared with Australian landlords.

I know that on long distance trains eg. Helsinki Oulu they often have dog sections with the seats further apart and hooks on the walls for leads. I accidently ended up in one once, there was no one in there at first and by the time the first dog came in with its owner there was no where on the rest of the train to sit and I smelt like a dog when I got to my destination.

vp

Microchip

Post by vp » Tue Oct 21, 2003 3:14 pm

Hi,

is a microchip obligatory when entering to Finland with a dog? Even for Suomenpystykorva?

Thanks!!!

eashton

Post by eashton » Tue Oct 21, 2003 3:50 pm

amayer wrote:She's a Polish Tatra Sheepdog... a livestock guardian dog:

http://www.ptsca.com/

Thanks for the food info... I do feed her Nutro for big dogs (has that stuff for hips in there).

And a big thanks for the airlines info... just what I would expect, considering the grief I've gone through with just a cat. Should you ever find yourself flying into or out of southern California with an animal (doesn't matter what size), stay the hell away from Ontario Airport. If I had a quarter for the number of times they've almost made me miss my flight home over a stinking cat (with alllll the vet papers, mind you...)... Nothing like walking through O'Hare Airport with a cat carrier COVERED in quarrentine stickers. In a carrier that definitely would have fit under the seat, mind you.... Grrrrrr... never again!

Oh... here I use plastic grocery bags as poop-scoopers/disposers. Is Helsinki on the canvas grocery bag program, and if so, what do you use for poop-scoopers?

Thanks again!!

Audrey
Oh, I've seen those dogs before...sorta like a Kuvaz[sp]? and the white version of the bernese/st. bernard breed whose name I can't think of right now :) There are quite a few Danes and Bernese owners around here so don't let the ankle biters fool you, Finns have big dogs too.

The glucosamine and the Nutro's for large breeds are usually at most petfood shops. If you can't find it I can point you to a few shops here in downtown that always seem to carry it.

I try not to think about O'Hare :) Avoid Frankfurt, Heathrow and Schipol if you can if you can't get a non-stop flight. I also found the herbal calmative I gave HB before the flight to be /very/ helpful for him. I didn't want to drug him but the herbal stuff made him stoned enough to enjoy the trip I think :) He had more space in that crate than I did in the plane so next time I fly I may have to consider flying as a dog in cargo.

The grocery bags here are 4 times thicker than Hefty bags and you pay .13eur for each when you check out. They are kick-ass bags but overkill for scooping poop. Forget the days of tissue paper thin plastic grocery bags....you could use these things for structural support. Most groceries have these green biodegradeable bags or you can use the shovels and composters in the dog parks where they have them. The freezer bags are ok too but I'd like to think biodegradeable is nicer and they're opaque :)

eashton

Re: Microchip

Post by eashton » Tue Oct 21, 2003 3:52 pm

vp wrote:Hi,

is a microchip obligatory when entering to Finland with a dog? Even for Suomenpystykorva?

Thanks!!!
No, not that I'm aware of. It doesn't mention chipping in the import directions either so, unless there is new legislation coming down the pipeline, I don't think it's a requirement.

Majava

Post by Majava » Wed Oct 22, 2003 3:57 pm

[quote="vp"]is a microchip obligatory when entering to Finland with a dog? Even for Suomenpystykorva?/quote]

No. Tattooed ear(s) are ok as well. Even for British breeeds... :!:

Majava

Post by Majava » Wed Oct 22, 2003 3:58 pm

[quote="vp"]is a microchip obligatory when entering to Finland with a dog? Even for Suomenpystykorva?/quote]

No. Tattooed ear(s) are ok as well. Even for British breeeds... :!:

amayer

Re: microchip and tatoos

Post by amayer » Wed Oct 22, 2003 4:04 pm

Am I understanding this right? All dogs need microchips or ear tatoos in Finland? If so, Finland must be the most advanced society on the planet... I can't even get my neighbors to put a damn collar on their dog.

Next thing you're going to tell me is that everyone gets their dogs their vaccinations when they need them......

Just for the record, my dog has an ear tatoo and is completely up-to-date with her shots... the vets always seem to be surprised by that....

Audrey

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Oct 22, 2003 4:15 pm

Dogs, children, you know the ear tattoo on grownups is a bit painful, but the new chip for babies is quite something. Just don't fly in on a Sunday, the tattooeers at the airport usually go on a binge on Saturdays and sometimes tattoo peoples ID's in backwards.

:mrgreen:
Cheers, Hank W.