Buying Housey Stuff

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
User avatar
daive
Posts: 1437
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2002 3:00 am
Location: Helsinki
Contact:

Re: Buying Housey Stuff

Post by daive » Wed Oct 22, 2003 3:11 am

shazman wrote:Hi Guys and Gals!

I was wondering where is a good place to buy housey stuff... I dont mind used stuff as long as its in good nick!

So things like TV/TV Stand/Hoover/PC table/Lamps.....

any ideas ???

Shaz
If you like good quality furntiure that will last and also be stylish in 20 years time then I recommend going to Vepsäläinen. My girlfriend swears by it ... and then I swear at her for spending all my hard earned money there!
Last edited by daive on Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.



Re: Buying Housey Stuff

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic
 

User avatar
Hank W.
The Motorhead
Posts: 29987
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2002 10:00 pm
Location: Mushroom Mountain
Contact:

Post by Hank W. » Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:09 am

Peter Floyd wrote:being a complete idiot when it come to Finnish language instructions on furniture assembly...
Finnish? - I have airfix kits that have had more text than those furniture assembly instructions.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.


User avatar
Nathan Lillie
Posts: 404
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:23 pm
Location: Helsinki

Post by Nathan Lillie » Sat Oct 25, 2003 4:51 pm

Putting together IKEA furniture is always a challenge.

Does anyone else find that IKEA doesn't always include all the screws needed for assembly in the package? My wife says it is because the Russians who make the stuff steal them, but I don't know what the Russians would do with all those "hot" IKEA screws.

And the screws, or pegs or whatever are are always just a little bit the wrong size for the holes they drill.

Only lots of hammering and very bad language ever gets the things together. Each time, I swear I will never go to IKEA again. But then I end up being dragged there again because it is five times less expensive than anywhere else. 90% of my household furniture is from IKEA, the other 10% being from a cheap second hand furniture shop in Korso, which I recommend.

Interestingly, IKEA in Vantaa has exactly the same stuff as IKEA in Toronto and in Baltimore. And mostly displayed in exactly the same way.


User avatar
deojuvame
Posts: 1115
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:43 am
Location: Helsinki

Post by deojuvame » Sat Oct 25, 2003 4:56 pm

Nathan Lillie wrote:Interestingly, IKEA in Vantaa has exactly the same stuff as IKEA in Toronto and in Baltimore. And mostly displayed in exactly the same way.
Why would that be interesting? :) It makes a lot of sense if you think about it- international chains are pretty similar once you get down to it. It's not like the layouts of McDonalds', or the Gap, or other international chains vary in layout from country to country...


gavin

Post by gavin » Sat Oct 25, 2003 5:35 pm

arabella wrote:
Nathan Lillie wrote:Interestingly, IKEA in Vantaa has exactly the same stuff as IKEA in Toronto and in Baltimore. And mostly displayed in exactly the same way.
Why would that be interesting? :) It makes a lot of sense if you think about it- international chains are pretty similar once you get down to it. It's not like the layouts of McDonalds', or the Gap, or other international chains vary in layout from country to country...
A mate of mine works as a buyer for IKEA in Russia...

They buy the same products in enormous quantities to supply all their shops. That's why they are cheap. Buy in bulk, watch the quality, sell it cheap in vast quantities.

Economy of scale.

Easy peasy :wink:


Post Reply