buying a sim-card in Helsinki

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.

Post by Katherine » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:59 pm

looking for some advice about buying a mobile phone sim card as I'm visiting Finland over New Year.
As far as I can see from this forum I can just buy one from a kiosk (marked 'R' ?) on the street, put it in my phone and register.. Does anyone know who's the best operator (or easiest to understand!) and, quite important, how much it would cost me to buy a cheap pre-paid sim-card.
..and does anyone know if it's possible to buy a sim-card over the internet and have it delivered to e.g. my hotel?
thanks in advance for any info! :o

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Post by karen » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:48 pm

I used DNA when I needed one. It had info in English and was easy to use. I was able to load more time and check the balance on the Internet. As far as the best price/service, I would be surprised if there was any difference at all in the pre-paids.

Post by Sopheline » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:49 pm

Hm. I don't know what DNA are like, but I use Kolumbus which is (I think) somehow related to Elisa. I got it a bit over a year ago and at the time I think it cost me 10 euros, and I *think* it came with 10 euros calltime already on it, but I don't remember.

It's pretty easy to understand since the leaflet with it is written in Finnish, Swedish, Russian and English and you can set it so that any info-texts the network sends you (such as how much credit you have left etc) are in English. Top-ups come as vouchers of 20 euros and you can just top up via text message; unless you plan to call a lot of people for long periods of time, 20 euros should last quite a while.

It may have changed since I bought my sim, but for me, text messages in Finland *and* to abroad are 0.10 euros (10 cents) and the charge per minute within Finland and to abroad both seem to be 10 cents/minute :shock: That's a pretty good deal if you ask me, wish my French one was this cheap :(

And yes, you can buy Kolumbus sims and topups from any R-Kioski :) <--- that is the page with some info on the various network sims you can get from the r-kioski, and here seems to be some kind of comparison page. It looks like go-mobile would be the best deal in the end, or Sonera if you plan to go to Finland at least once a year and want to have your sim stay valid for 12 months. Kolumbus seems to be pretty ok though, still.
I have a habit of asking odd questions... Sorry! :oops:
Hank W. wrote:Finland is a state of min... insanity.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:48 pm

I don't know if it works with funny foreign cards, but GO can be topped off an ATM. (was it DNA the other), so it is easier than those scratch tickets.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Post by Katherine » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:14 pm

many thanks for all the info! happy xmas!

Post by Ravvy » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:55 pm

I used a Kolumbus in-country SIM last summer in Pojois-Karjala and it worked very well with one exception.

At a key time on the trip (I had lost my passport) I ran low on prepaid minutes and needed to reload. However the "scratch-off" would not take and I got a text message in Finnish which I could not understand. When I called Kolumbus customer service and asked (in Finnish) if we could continue in English, I got a flat "NO" and they hung up on me. I ended up driving to the Elisa store in Joensuu, and with the sales clerk's help we learned that the Kolumbus computer system was down and no reloads could be done until they got their system back up again. Of course I realize I was in Finland, but still I was a little surprised that there was no english-speaking customer service over-the-phone at Kolumbus. The folks at the Elisa store were a great help, however.

Post by MagicJ » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:49 am

Kolumbus cost me 4.95 a month ago with 10E credit :D , instructions included allow you to change menu into english.

Post by Pilvii » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:51 am

I have had a few different pre-paids... Kolumbus has been the best value, IMO. Easy to use, easy to recharge ... the English menus are a bonus too.
*_* PILVII *_*

Kai Schwämmle

Post by Kai Schwämmle » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:50 pm

I have a usual card of the company which I can use privat, too. But for paying ect I use a Prepaid-card. I have a Sonera, I guess there aren't too big differences. Just go to a R-Kiosk and buy it, it takes 2 min.