Academic pay scale?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
eric71

Academic pay scale?

Post by eric71 » Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:27 pm

Maybe I should post this in jobs, but it is related to living in Finland. I've been searching google for half an hour and I can't find any up to date info. Can anyone find a current list of goverment or academic pay scale in euros? I've been looking at academic and government funded jobs that say A21, A23 etc, and I'd like to know how much that is a month and what does that buy you in Finland. Is it enough for a family of three to get by on in the capital area?

Academic pay scale?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:58 pm

Government payscales... do you really want to know or can we just conclude you will either giggle yourself silly or cry out loud?

OK, ok, I need to give a good impression...
http://www.vm.fi/tiedostot/pdf/fi/30044.pdf

A21 = 1938,62 /mo gross in I expense rate
A23 = 2261,94 /mo gross in I expense rate

So gives or takes maybe 1400/mo net.

A saying in Finland is "bread of the state is long but narrow".

Get by: Apartment rent say two rooms in Jakomäki or Kontula 600/mo, Kontula has a Lidl and the Salvation Army bread queue as well as an UFF to buy 2nd hand clothes, so only one member needs a metro pass... so yes you can "get by" but I suppose this is not something you wanted to hear on this detail level?

As in plain English: you really need two breadwinners in the family if you go on base government pay - then its going to be pretty much OK, but with just one salary its really going to be squeezing - unless you have two jobs, the government one for the bread and then something else to get the butter and jam...

Government payscales though then do depend on seniority etc. etc. and you might get subsidised housing etc. etc. or even 'company flat' - but thats usually included in the salary in the boondocks, rarely in Helsinki.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

eric71

Post by eric71 » Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:30 pm

Thanks Hank!

Any job is starting to look good right now. At least a government job would get me to FInland.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:37 pm

Yeah, its just the pay rates in Finland are lower as compared to some other places (and Government scales always lower) so the thing is not to give a too rosey picture... then again in other countries you pay some stuff like insurances etc. on top of the tax that really ought to be calculated off the "after taxes" sum.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.