Customs @ Posti

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
deojuvame

Customs @ Posti

Post by deojuvame » Sun Nov 02, 2003 9:16 am

Hey all-
Does anyone know if the Posti has a published set of rules anywhere for declaring customs?

I always thought that if a package was under 40 EUR in value, then they just shipped it straight to your "local" posti. However, I have to go to the central posti to go pick up a package that's only around 25 EUR declared value. Are they just being arbitrary about this or are they sticking to some set of rules I haven't heard about yet?

Customs @ Posti

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

anja

Re: Customs @ Posti

Post by anja » Sun Nov 02, 2003 11:02 am

arabella wrote:Hey all-
Does anyone know if the Posti has a published set of rules anywhere for declaring customs?

I always thought that if a package was under 40 EUR in value, then they just shipped it straight to your "local" posti. However, I have to go to the central posti to go pick up a package that's only around 25 EUR declared value. Are they just being arbitrary about this or are they sticking to some set of rules I haven't heard about yet?
Hmmhh.. that's weird! :shock: Phil was just saying yesterday how he'd received a notice to come and have some 50€ package picked up from the customs (and pay tax for???)! Usually it's been for stuff worth some 100€ and up... wonder what happened?
Last edited by anja on Sun Nov 02, 2003 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Did you ever walk into a room and forget why you walked in? I think that's how dogs spend their lives."
-- Sue Murphy

Phil

Post by Phil » Sun Nov 02, 2003 11:05 am

Grrr!! The same thing just happened to me. I ordered two books from Amazon, totalling something like 50-60€....and I have to go to customs!!

What the hell?? It's supposed to be up to 124 euros total including shipping and handling...and there is no customs taxed. I've ordered a bunch of things from the states and never had this problem until now.

Have the rules changed??? I'm hoping that I'll just go down to customs and they'll tell me that they've made a mistake.

Grrr!! :evil:

jcooper

Post by jcooper » Sun Nov 02, 2003 12:40 pm

Actually recently a colleague bought books for work from Amazon, he too had to go down to the central post office and collect it. As soon as they heard it was books, they never even bother to open the package to verify its contents and perceived value.

I'm gonna buy some stuff from Amazon and Play.com today. Its no major deal to go the central post office for me since I work close by. Buts its a pain in the ass for everyone else.
Who is this dog Franks?

eashton

Post by eashton » Sun Nov 02, 2003 1:08 pm

Phil wrote:Grrr!! The same thing just happened to me. I ordered two books from Amazon, totalling something like 50-60€....and I have to go to customs!!

What the hell?? It's supposed to be up to 124 euros total including shipping and handling...and there is no customs taxed. I've ordered a bunch of things from the states and never had this problem until now.

Have the rules changed??? I'm hoping that I'll just go down to customs and they'll tell me that they've made a mistake.
I don't think so, but maybe they're checking each and every box from amazon.com these days. They won't tax you on something under the set value but they still make you go down and retrieve from them. I've noticed this, too, and have wondered what the deal is.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sun Nov 02, 2003 1:44 pm

This is total speculation.

When you order packages "by mail" do they come "by mail"?

The thing is if I order pants from the UK, they get sent from the warehouse in France and then Transpoint calls me and delivers.

From the USA "airmail" comes to Frsankfurt and is from there hauled over by trucks using some carrier, I'd think its the same but not 100%

So with the package *from EU* no customs = home delivery.
With the package *from outside EU* needs a customs declaration. So will people pay the freight forwarding company the 20 for clearing it? Don't think so.

Just a hunch, but I'd put my money this is due the forwarding/clearing issue.

My 2c + 22% VAT :mrgreen:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

deojuvame

Post by deojuvame » Sun Nov 02, 2003 1:55 pm

Well, the package came by slow boat from outside the EU, so that sounds entirely possible, Hank. When Transpoint delivers me stuff it never seems to matter what the amount on the customs declaration is...

eashton

Post by eashton » Sun Nov 02, 2003 4:12 pm

Hank W. wrote: So with the package *from EU* no customs = home delivery.
With the package *from outside EU* needs a customs declaration. So will people pay the freight forwarding company the 20 for clearing it? Don't think so.

Just a hunch, but I'd put my money this is due the forwarding/clearing issue.

My 2c + 22% VAT :mrgreen:
The 'strange' part is that this seems to be a new protocol or something as, previously, if it was from the US, under a certain value, only books and wouldn't fit through the slot, they'd leave it at the post office for you to come fetch. However, it seems like they make you come to the tulli for every box, regardless of size or value. The last few boxes I've had from Amazon have been held at the tulli yet I've been waved off on paying any actual tax.

Ironically, the boxes from my mother sent from the US don't get flagged and usually get delivered right to my door.

Maybe there's something about boxes of stuff from Amazon that they don't like? Not to mention the 'special handling' the Germans must give these boxes as every single one of them has been crushed more than a UPS delivery [ who used to be somewhat notorious for having shipments arrive looking as though the warehouse staff played kick the box with it for a day or more ].

BAT

Post by BAT » Sun Nov 02, 2003 4:27 pm

I've received packages from Canada without any problems. The Canadian shipping slips tell you to list the contents and value, so this seems to help things along. None of the packages have been opened at customs yet and all have come to my door, or if I wasn't home, I had to go to the post office in Myyrmanni to get them.

deojuvame

Post by deojuvame » Sun Nov 02, 2003 4:45 pm

Now that I think about it, the packages I do get from the US seem to be held at customs about 1/3 of the time, and the amount on the customs sheet has pretty much always been under 40USD.

Hmmm... :?

Kemars

Post by Kemars » Sun Nov 02, 2003 5:32 pm

well, when in doubt, question them. ask them to supply information regarding the rules and regulations of EU Customs (or is still consider Finnish Customs?) Laws. At least you may make them squrim a bit...

I usually just order stuff online, send it a friend in the states, and then have them forward it from them to me and claim the material as pesonal effects, used books, used music cd, etc..claim total price as under 20 USD. I never had an issue but only once since moving here. (my dufis friend used his company's return address label rather than his own..and had to prove to Posti Customs that it was indeed used items / personal effects... ;) took awhile but eventually got away without paying 60 Euros worth of tax... :wink:
How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

simakun

Post by simakun » Mon Nov 03, 2003 11:01 am

My sister wants to send me a bunch of DVD movies (all pirated). Does anyone know if customs will open the package up to check or if there are any restrictions to the number of DVD's she can send by mail? I vaguely remember that there was a new regulation stipulating the number one could bring in cos of a problem of trafficking from estonia and Russia.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Nov 03, 2003 11:08 am

Well if your sister writes "pirated DVD movies" on the customs sticker I kinda feel they might get slightly interested...

Hopefully they work on your DVD drive.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

kultary

Post by kultary » Mon Nov 03, 2003 1:12 pm

I used to belong to an international book-of-the-month club and ended up spending a lot of time talking to the tulli guys at posti. Basically, I had to open the package and show them the actual invoice. They just want to match the package contents to the description on the customs forms to the description and price on the invoice...especially around the Christmas season.

- Ryan

deojuvame

Post by deojuvame » Tue Nov 04, 2003 4:40 pm

Mystery solved! My mom wrote "vitamins" on the invoice and they had to open up the package to make sure I wasn't taking illegal doses of Vitamin C. Good to know they're watching out for me :D