Customs @ Posti

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Nov 04, 2003 4:50 pm

Oh, dang! Next time someone is getting a care package I want "Aytinal" horse pills. :mrgreen:

Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

zmt

Post by zmt » Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:42 pm

I've received packages from Canada without any problems.
Well, I also had to go to the f"#@&! central posti to pick a package from Canada! And they made me open it and....pay taxes on it :evil: the worst is that you not only must pay tax on the value of the items but also on the postage - and that means going there to pick it up. What I sorted out is that if you manage to get things sent as a GIFT and they don't look more expensive than 90?, then no need to pay taxes. So next time I know how I will do it...

deojuvame

Post by deojuvame » Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:27 am

You have to pay taxes on the POSTAGE as well?! That's completely insane!

That's it. From now on, anyone who sends me anything to Finland has to write "NASTY OLD STINKY SOCKS- VALUE 50 CENTS- GIFT" on the customs declaration. :evil:

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:29 pm

Of course, VAT is calculated on value + freight.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Cory

US post vs Finnish postal

Post by Cory » Sun Nov 09, 2003 9:53 am

We had an "issue" over the summer when my cousin sent my son a birthday gift from Seattle. Total cost was 20 USD and it was sent from a private address but still ended up in the customs in Vantaa although we live in Heinola.

My husband phoned and enquired. He could explain it much clearer than I but the gist is this. Country's sign postal agreements with one another. The US postal service has not resigned an agreement that it previously had with Finland (unsure about other countries). There are sums of money to be paid that are agreed upon based on the amount of post going from one country to the other. The US post, in the past, agreed to pay the Finnish post a certain amount because there has always been more traffic going from the US to Finland than vice versa.

The US Post has recently gone through some major restructuring for cost-saving and recouping. The packages come to Finland but then sit in the sorting centres because Finland hasn't received funds to forward them through the internal Finnish system.

No one was able to answer our question as to whether this will change in the near future. It's up to the beauracrats.

Cory

Alicia

Post by Alicia » Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:48 pm

Have it wrapped in Christmas or birthday paper (care packages I mean).

I got a webcam as a christmas present. Mum and dad had written computer equipment on it and the value (approx. 50 €) and it went to the customs people at the harbour. I said it was a Christmas present and ripped it open to show Christmas paper and they let me go home with it.

hj

Post by hj » Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:51 am

I have my own data point now: This morning I went to the customs desk in the pääpostitalo and picked up a package of books worth around 80EUR from Amazon in the US. The package was itself wrapped in a sealed gray plastic bag. The customs officer unsealed the bag, took out my package, took a short glance at the customs declaration printed on the package and then let me go without any fees. She didn't even open the package. She reiterated that only packages of books worth 124EUR or more will be charged, but I still had to go through this pointless exercise. I wonder what the purpose of the gray bag was.

Fortunately, I live close to my nearest customs post. I feel sorry for the guys that have to drag themselves to the airport or worse.