fruit price in Finland

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
robinchung

fruit price in Finland

Post by robinchung » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:54 am

dears, i'm interested in import taiwan's tropic fruit to Finland, and consider if it's possible doing that in the near future for my own business.

before i get undersatnding of all the laws, taxs... blah blah blah, i need to know the possibility of this business. one of the most important issue is the price of fruits in Finland now, and of course if you're interested in tropic fruit might coming from taiwan.

so, can you guys do me a favor? just list all the fruit and the price here like: xxxxx(fruit's name) €???/kilo, and also put your thinking on the tropic fruits

or can someone give me more details like where to get the correct information (maybe wholesale price and retail price?), i've tried Tilastokeskus but i just cannot find the useful information in english (too bad :cry: ) so i really need your help, thanks!

fruit price in Finland

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

EP

Post by EP » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:23 am

The most common fruit in Finland are apples, oranges and bananas. I don´t think that those are considered tropical. So could you possibly name the fruit so people can keep their eyes open for the ones you plan to import.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:30 am

I don't know, but the only product that "strikes" my eye imported from Taiwan is "Mr Brown" canned coffee :lol:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

robinchung

Post by robinchung » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:56 am

Hank W. wrote:I don't know, but the only product that "strikes" my eye imported from Taiwan is "Mr Brown" canned coffee :lol:
WOW!! really?! the Mr.Brown is there!

robinchung

Post by robinchung » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:01 am

EP wrote:The most common fruit in Finland are apples, oranges and bananas. I don´t think that those are considered tropical. So could you possibly name the fruit so people can keep their eyes open for the ones you plan to import.
that's why i need your help that i think tropic fruit is not that famous in Finland...

can you tell me the common fruit in Finland like apple, orange and banana's price? i will be very appreciate!!

enk

Post by enk » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:19 am

Apple = EUR 1.20/kg
Orange = EUR 1/kg
Bananas = EUR 2/kg

-enk

raamv

Post by raamv » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:23 am

How are you planning to import if you are not in Finland?
Or are you planning to export From Taiwan to Finland?
It doesnt matter about the selling price that a consumer pays that is most important.
its more to do with your logistics of your business: What kind of business, where will you base it? What is your mode of transportation?etc. How much will be your initial capital? where will you store the items? How will you distribute here in Finland?
Then comes your calculation of Cost: How will you procure the fruits fro Taiwan? What is that cost? What is the cost of your various transportation modes? What is cost of storage? what is cost of distribution? etc etc..
What is the current going rate of an average fruit when you sell in Bulk?
Can you beat Spain's and Turkey's and Israel's prices for fruits?
An average banana price is from 0.49Eurocents to 1.49 Euro per kg as prices here vary by season.
Apples are the same. Now what are you going to do about it?
:twisted:

sudentassu

Post by sudentassu » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:54 pm

I strongly oppose such products, this is why:

- If they come by ship, the products have to be artifically delayed from ripening or rotting (chemicals and temperature), then artificially ripened, leading to poor flavour.

- If they come by air it impacts greatly on air pollution, global warming, etc. There are plenty enough fruit options nearer without flying other options around the world :(

If you plan on distributing through the major multiples, why don't you simply ring the buyer, they will tell you what they will pay you for the product, then you will know immediately if you have a viable business, rather than farting around asking consumers what they pay in the supermarket here, then having to deduct retailer margin, S&D costs, etc, etc. Oh and don't forget to build in some cushion in your costings to allow for a hefty Retro or ORD. :D

robinchung

Post by robinchung » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:00 am

raamv wrote: Now what are you going to do about it?
:twisted:

Yes, I'm planning to export from Taiwan to Finland.

Actually, I'm not only asking the street price but also find out the pricing structure. The key issue for me is the transportation: by ship, chiper but takes time and may cause fruits rotted; by air, fast but expensive (should be very expensive!). However, doing such business requires provide fresh fruits, so i think by air is the only way. If the cost (of course transportation included) exceed the profit I can make, it's not doable.

We also have orange, banana, apple and grape, I don't think i can beat the fruits from Spain, Turkey's and Israel because the fee of transportation. They're neighboring and their fruits can be transported by ship. So what i going to do is provide those fruits not in Finland now. At the first, i need to make sure is if i can make money on this or not.

robinchung

Post by robinchung » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:08 am

sudentassu wrote:I strongly oppose such products, this is why:

- If they come by air it impacts greatly on air pollution, global warming, etc. There are plenty enough fruit options nearer without flying other options around the world :(

If you plan on distributing through the major multiples, why don't you simply ring the buyer.......don't forget to build in some cushion in your costings to allow for a hefty Retro or ORD. :D
Agree with you that transportation by air may cause pollution or global warming. However, there's no free lunch, people enjoy fresh fruits and have more choices at the same time. By the way, the transportation is not only for those goods but also human being. (technologies and the convenience are always against to environment protection, right? :oops: )

Thanks for the advice! I will put into consideration, ring buyers is what I trying to do next.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:09 am

So, the question is, what fruit you have we don't have, that we would want to buy? We do get fruit from all over the world, but your best bet is to contact KESKO or INEX who are the wholesale importers. They run the show. Finland is such a frctional market with such fractional population that most imported stuff (like the Mr.Brown is imported by a Dutch company) is imported to central Europe first and then re-distributed from there. However if you target the "speciality" market with say "exotic" fruit then the likes of ViiVoan or Aseanic Trading might be interested, but the volumes would be very small.
Last edited by Hank W. on Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

sinikettu

Post by sinikettu » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:10 am

robinchung wrote:. So what i going to do is provide those fruits not in Finland now. At the first, i need to make sure is if i can make money on this or not.
I have lived in the far east and try to remember fruits that are not in Finland now..The only one that comes to mind is the Malaysian and Indonesian favorite the Durian...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durian
I would add that most European cannot hack the smell.
Travel and food writer Richard Sterling says:

"... its odor is best described as pig-!"#¤%, turpentine and onions, garnished with a gym sock. It can be smelled from yards away. Despite its great local popularity, the raw fruit is forbidden from some establishments such as hotels, subways and airports, including public transportation in Southeast Asia."

I have seen on occasion even rambutants...but not very often.
I did not notice Finns enthusiatically buying them..
Here is a link to show others what sort of fruits might be on Mr Chung's list

http://waynesword.palomar.edu/plnov96.htm
People do not become more irritable as they grow old - they simply stop making the effort to avoid annoying others.

enk

Post by enk » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:23 am

sinikettu wrote:.The only one that comes to mind is the Malaysian and Indonesian favorite the Durian...
Available frozen from Vii Voan.

BTW I just bought lychees (荔枝) from Citymarket in Sello. EUR 2.95/kg.
But you can guess how marginal the market for Finns actually is when
I had to explain to some yesterday what they were and how to eat
them and what part to eat.

-enk

pierrot

Post by pierrot » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:49 am

enk wrote:
sinikettu wrote:.The only one that comes to mind is the Malaysian and Indonesian favorite the Durian...
Available frozen from Vii Voan.

BTW I just bought lychees (荔枝) from Citymarket in Sello. EUR 2.95/kg.
But you can guess how marginal the market for Finns actually is when
I had to explain to some yesterday what they were and how to eat
them and what part to eat.

-enk
I actually found them in quite a lot of places in Finland, even in Lidl.
And the good part about not so high demand is that you can get them quite cheap (alreayd saw them for 99 c/kg).
Here in Finland, I have done everything I can to blend-in with the Finns, I've changed my hair color, wore differnet clothes, got different

EP

Post by EP » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:16 am

It is impossible to give a trustworthy answer if you are not familiar with imports/exports. Not everything from Asia goes through central Europe and big chain stores. ViiVoan that Hank already mentioned (a Thai food store, sells also other south-east Asian stuff) imports by plane every week both fruit and vegetables from south-east Asia. Maybe they could answer you, even though you would be a competitor. As far as I know ViiVoan has a shop only in Helsinki.

http://www.lintulaakso.net/kallionbasaa ... ti=viivoan