Real Christmas trees

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
grahamb

Real Christmas trees

Post by grahamb » Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:58 pm

It's our first Christmas in Helsinki so it's time to do things properly.

Thanks for the thread about turkeys - that answered one of my questions.

The other question is: where is the best place to get a real Christmas tree in the greater Helsinki area a few weeks before Christmas (apart from a convenient forest...) I don't think my wife would be able to wait until Dec 23rd so we're hoping there is somewhere that starts selling at the start of December.

Thanks,

Graham

Real Christmas trees

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Tom and Jerry

Post by Tom and Jerry » Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:12 pm

all over,
You can recognize the christmas trees that grow in the forest on the lichnen and moss growing on it. Then you need to know the difference between latva and grown.

Did you read the news yesterday? Tho men, aged 75 and 71, were cought for stealing christmas trees from the forest! They were early!

Andrew_S

Post by Andrew_S » Tue Nov 18, 2003 1:29 am

Well, let's just hope there isn't a shortage like one year. They were importing them from the Netherlands! :shock:
Image Image

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:27 am

They import them from Denmark, because they have "tree farms". You'll see tree-sellers popping about in December. Best place - just anywhere.

If someone gets the bright idea of getting a tree from someone's forest, the fine is around 500-1000 euros and big trouble.

Of course, I own enough forest, the whole 20 or so trees, to have my own if I bothered :mrgreen:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Handsome

Re: Real Christmas trees

Post by Handsome » Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:19 am

grahamb wrote:I don't think my wife would be able to wait until Dec 23rd so we're hoping there is somewhere that starts selling at the start of December.

Neither can I. That's why we're going to go 'false' this year.

Stu

kultary

Post by kultary » Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:50 am

We went 'false' several years ago and have never regretted it. We can put it up earlier and it looks more authentic than most of the 'real' trees that they sell closer to the holidays

-ry

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:56 am

I saw potted firs for sale at the flower shop. I was thinking - once I get my balcony fixed & glazed, to grow a juniper/cypress/fir there and then have that as my tree. Can't be bothered to vacoom all those needles - apart from which Christmas is for kids and I am not home anyways. I think I'll spend the holidays at the pub brooding. And go eat chinese or indian.... (I hate 'traditional christmas food' - I had an overdose working at the hotel. Staff eats buffet, buffet Nov-Dec is 'christmas dinner'...blergh.) If I can't find enough money to fly somewhere I need to go visit my parents... someone invent me an excuse.
Cheers, Hank W.

MinnaRaisanen

Post by MinnaRaisanen » Tue Nov 18, 2003 1:04 pm

well Hank...you could make another country's 'traditional' christmas food. For example, in Canada we would have had turkey, stuffing, green bean casserole, cranberry sauce, brussel sprouts...get creative!!

Secondly, you can't substitute a mini, feathery fir for a xmas 'kuusi'!!! :evil: When my bf's parents told me about how they used to do the tree out on the balcony (and leave it there!) I almost lost it!!! "Christmas is for kids and I am not home anyways" We have always had a tree - my brother and I have both moved out, but my parents still do a tree!! It's so much a part of the 'feeling' of Christmas...Needles?? Well all you have to do is water frequently and there should not be that much of a problem. One big clean up when the holiday is over and really that's it aside from small clean ups you would do anyway...

Am I even slightly convincing? :lol:
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

George Bernard Shaw

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Nov 18, 2003 1:26 pm

No, can't be convinced. I have legal papers documenting I am a bachelor so no need to get reminded people have families. I'd rather be dead than see my relatives giving me the looks and asking their stupid questions or being uncomfortably silent and whispering to my dads deaf ear trying to milk information out. I'd rather be somewhere on a beach drinking a mojito and maybe eating lobster in a white tux listening to merengue than looking at this effin drizzle and overcast and listening to some jingle.

Besides I just weighed myself and was 110 so I need to go on the cabbage & vichy diet and try to break the magic threshold of being weighed at the nursery - so I'll rather not making any dishes at all.
Cheers, Hank W.

MinnaRaisanen

Post by MinnaRaisanen » Tue Nov 18, 2003 1:35 pm

well, I tried.... :roll:
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

George Bernard Shaw

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Nov 18, 2003 1:40 pm

Yes, I know. I can't be cheered up. The malady called life is transmitted by sexual intercourse and is always fatal.

I'd need the ghosts to come haunt me like Scroodge, though I'd probably bottle them up and sell as curios :mrgreen:
Cheers, Hank W.

Dara

Post by Dara » Tue Nov 18, 2003 3:27 pm

Hm, the first Christmas I am back in Finland, Hank (will be will be will be... keep positive thinking up!) you definately should have a Christmas tree so I can 'bottle up' some nice girl for you and leave it there! That should definately change your poor habbits! :twisted:

Rincewind

Post by Rincewind » Wed Nov 19, 2003 1:17 pm

The story about the two old Christmas Tree thieves has reached as far as Riyadh. I think it shows that old guys can still be young at heart. I hope they escape and nick some more trees.
When you are cool, calm and collected while all around you panic, perhaps you do not understand the situation.

grahamb

Post by grahamb » Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:53 pm

We've been false the last few years because we've not been in Helsinki on Christmas Day. To me, that's not the real thing so we want to do it properly this year seeing as we'll be here and we're surrounded by them (and yes, I knew it wasn't the done thing just to help yourself...)

We've seen places selling real trees but usually in the second half of December just before we leave (by which time the false tree is up...). Is there anywhere that anyone can recommend for the first half or do we just have to keep looking?

Thanks again,

Graham

brumlee

Post by brumlee » Wed Nov 19, 2003 10:51 pm

dont worry bout fines for robbin trees from the forest . Come and get 1 from mine. Every year a couple of guys turn up in Kontula with so many trees 2 sell they have to leave them there over night in the open. not like its me whose cuttin them down so i usualy get myself 1 when i get tossed out of the bar .