Omega 3 Pills anywhere?:)lol

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
anja

Re: Omega 3 Pills anywhere?:)lol

Post by anja » Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:48 am

katrina wrote:Yep, it's that dark..not very nice time of the year:( I was wondering where can you buy fish oil (not appetizing but oh well) omega 3 fatty acid pills ?

I have SAD which hasn't been helped by the fact of homesickness, so I am going to start taking the pills to see if it helps.

Does anyone know a cheap place for them? or how expensive they are?

Thanks!:)

Kat *who would kill for an arby's roast beef right about now:)lol*

There are special stores that only sell natural products and such, for example IKIVIREÄ-stores (http://www.ikivirea.fi), they have several stores around Helsinki, Espoo, Vantaa etc.. all the way up to Oulu (they have the locations mentioned at their web page under "Myymälät").

I have also bought these Omega-3 -capsules at Stockmann or Sokos, for example, because they (as many department stores do) have a separate section or aisle for natural products. Even regular grocery stores have some sorts of selections of these products, but I am not sure what they have exactly. But I am sure you have several options :)

"Did you ever walk into a room and forget why you walked in? I think that's how dogs spend their lives."
-- Sue Murphy

Re: Omega 3 Pills anywhere?:)lol

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:54 am

One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

deojuvame

Post by deojuvame » Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:40 am

Alternatively, you could just load up on herring... Probably cheaper than the overpriced vitamins too :D

MinnaRaisanen

Post by MinnaRaisanen » Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:54 pm

Okay, what is the skinny on this?! Does the oil really work? Last winter (my 2nd here) was horrible. I was a total wreck by Spring. The first year I got to go home for 3 weeks but last year I was not able to and this year am trapped here. I do not want to go through the hell that is the winter here feeling all mopey and angry. I am not a big fan of winter to begin with, but the complete lack of sunshine is just too much to bear...

Let me know any thoughts any of you might have...
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

George Bernard Shaw

deojuvame

Post by deojuvame » Tue Nov 18, 2003 1:00 pm

MinnaRaisanen wrote:Okay, what is the skinny on this?! Does the oil really work? Last winter (my 2nd here) was horrible. I was a total wreck by Spring. The first year I got to go home for 3 weeks but last year I was not able to and this year am trapped here. I do not want to go through the hell that is the winter here feeling all mopey and angry. I am not a big fan of winter to begin with, but the complete lack of sunshine is just too much to bear...

Let me know any thoughts any of you might have...

People have sworn up and down that St John's Wort was going to help with wintertime depression, so I bought a bunch of it last year and tried it, and I think I may have had better results investing in a keg of snake oil.

This year I'm trying one of those gigantic full spectrum lights, and so far I really like it.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Nov 18, 2003 1:29 pm

MinnaRaisanen wrote: I do not want to go through the hell that is the winter here feeling all mopey and angry.

After getting used to this baing the way "normal people are" you start to appreciate the summers more... and understand why "going south" is a thing people do here.
Cheers, Hank W.

MinnaRaisanen

Post by MinnaRaisanen » Tue Nov 18, 2003 1:31 pm

I tried St. Johns Wort too and it made me feel like I had bugs under my skin :roll:

I was told that those lights should only be used during the day - morning is the best. Well, I'm not home and if I were to use it at night I understood that it would keep me up all night. What have you heard about that and how do you use yours? One other thing: cost?
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

George Bernard Shaw

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Nov 18, 2003 1:32 pm

Dunno about "magic pills" or just the placebo effect, but I used these:
http://www.walgreens.com/store/product. ... prod373333

Just would need someone coming over to go stop at walgreens and bring me a few family value packs to last until spring comes.
Cheers, Hank W.

deojuvame

Post by deojuvame » Tue Nov 18, 2003 1:51 pm

I've got one light at work and one at home. I keep the light on during "normal" daylight hours, but sometimes I forget to turn it off until much later in the eveing, and then I have trouble falling asleep. Which is evidence enough for me that it works :)

They're kind of pricey (around 60-70 EUR), but worth it I think. Probably easier than repeated solarium visits or medication!

Riko

Post by Riko » Wed Nov 19, 2003 5:45 pm

I just moved here a couple months ago but lived 20 years in Anchorage Alaska which of course has very similar seasons or lack there of. The 2 things that seemed to help me with "cabin fever" the most were 1. try to be outside during the daylight hours as often as you can and 2. force yourself to get outside in the evening. For example, go for walks, strap on a pair of ice skates or cross country skiis. Other suggestions from friends were to use the S.A.D. lights, decorate with bright colors, add pictures of bright outdoor scenery to name a few. Hope some of these help.
I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strangely, I am ungrateful to these teachers.

Mai

Post by Mai » Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:12 am

There was a study few years ago about those bright light lamps. They seem to be very effective but some brands on the market were not bright enough to make difference. My parents have one of those big panel like ones and having it next to table on breakfast certainly wakes you up. I don't have one at home because i am too cheap to buy one. My survival methods for winter are small habbits and rituals that make winter special. Hot drinks, candlelight... And getting my amount of sunlight on those few days when sky is clear, sun is shining and reflecting from the snow 8)

Penny

Post by Penny » Thu Nov 20, 2003 10:35 am

Fish is so cheap in Finland so I wouldn't think that anyone there would be lacking in Omega 3 fatty oils. For lack of sunlight you need to take vitamin D and they started putting that in the milk earlier this year. Not sure why they waited this long to do it.