Freelance and Tax question - complicated?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
jwesthues

Post by jwesthues » Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:09 am

Okay, okay, we all agree that this is complicated s%*t.

Does anyone (prefarably US citizens) have any practical experience dealing with income from the US while being a resident of Finland? Maybe from the year that they moved here...

The first problem I see is a mismatch in the dates. I think I am supposed to return my Veroilmoitus by the end of January. US employers are not even required to send you your offical income earned/taxes paid statements (W-2) until January 31st.

And the inconsistencies, uncertainties, and potential problems/hazards snowball from there...

Oh, and how good is Verohallituksen ability to track down foreign-earned income? Just curious...

- Jukka

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

tjawatts

Post by tjawatts » Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:29 am

It may be difficult to not take the US work if you are only getting freelance work from one company in Finland. Because then vero will consider you their employee and they will be liable for social security costs. BTW as a freelancer in Finland you have to pay 21.4% of your pre-tax profit into YEL (if you earn over 5000 eur) a compulsory pension scheme. If you are an employee most of this (TEL) is paid by your company.

The tax isnt that difficult. As long as you declare in both places and you are not earning over 75k USD or whatever the limit is, then you will just pay tax here. If you do not declare all income then you will likely be taxed in both places and fined!

BTW I am involved in adult language training perhaps you could pm me and let me know who you are going to be working for. Perhaps I might even be able to get you some more work.

Tony

Michael

Post by Michael » Wed Nov 26, 2003 5:44 pm

There is an Expat Tax service for foreigners living and working in Finland which is available if you follow the following link. Hope this helps, it saves having to understand those difficult rules!

http://www.pwcexpatclub.fi/cgi-bin/www3 ... nguage=eng

Tom and Jerry

Post by Tom and Jerry » Wed Nov 26, 2003 6:22 pm

The expat service from pricewateringatthecoopershouce costs 350 euro, for a piece of information you can get for free elsewhere....????

Is that service worth it for individuals????