UK Passport/ EU/ Sweden

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
gavin

UK Passport/ EU/ Sweden

Post by gavin » Fri Nov 21, 2003 2:51 pm

Hej

Small problem? I just heard I have to fly to Sweden next week, for 1 day.

My problem is that my UK passport is at the Russian consulate, getting my visa renewed :?

Do you think I can fly to Sweden without a passport?

I might get my passport back just in time, but given past experiences with Russian visa applications, I'm not hopeful.

And I can't change the date of the meeting in Sweden...

Anyone know about this?

Tack så mycket
Gavin

UK Passport/ EU/ Sweden

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Ace

Re: UK Passport/ EU/ Sweden

Post by Ace » Fri Nov 21, 2003 2:59 pm

gavin wrote:Hej

Small problem? I just heard I have to fly to Sweden next week, for 1 day.

My problem is that my UK passport is at the Russian consulate, getting my visa renewed :?

Do you think I can fly to Sweden without a passport?

I might get my passport back just in time, but given past experiences with Russian visa applications, I'm not hopeful.

And I can't change the date of the meeting in Sweden...

Anyone know about this?

Tack så mycket
Gavin
Don't need one on the boat, so why should you need one on the plane? I've only boated it there though so not sure!

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:04 pm

I have been to Sweden 5 times this year never even saw a passport controller...at Vantaa there is a seperate area for non EU flights where you go through pass ports..at Arlanda it is another terminal ..but..suggest you take your Finnish resident permit just in case murphys law puts your flight to the wrong gate.. OR could be so that when you come back and find that Wales has declared war on Lapland because Father Christmas ploughed up the leek and daffodill beds with his sleigh and they will not let you back in. :wink:

paulrenn

Post by paulrenn » Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:17 pm

Take driving license in case you're asked for ID. Normally you won't need *any* ID when travelling within Scandinavia...at least that's what I have observed at the airports :)
Paul

mof

Post by mof » Sat Nov 22, 2003 1:24 am

been to sweden a few times since I have been here and generally am never asked for a Passport....but the last time...3 weeks ago, they did ask me to show it at the checkin counter...so I guess it's a gamble

angbill

Post by angbill » Sun Nov 23, 2003 2:31 pm

Hello,
You do not need your passport to travel to Sweden. I have been flying back and forth between Finland and Sweden for the past 3 years and never have my passport with me. If I am not mistaken there is a special agreement between the Nordic countries which allows you to cross the borders without a passport. I would however, recommend that you have some sort of photo identification with you just in case.
Good luck!

neil

Post by neil » Sun Nov 23, 2003 2:56 pm

You are inside Schengen so in theory you don't need a passport. A drivers licence will be sufficient if asked. I have never gone to S without taking my pport, but at the same time I have never been asked for ID either but that was with the boat.

I would imagine with airport security being tighter nowadays, a phone call to the aiport would not hurt, just to be sure.
Neil

Please add a link to https://www.finlandforum.org

Anders

Post by Anders » Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:31 am

This is the fact:
No passport needed.
Valid Photo ID _REQUIRED_!

It's not 'cause of schengen, EU or nordic rules. It's becuase of Airline policies. SAS is more strict than FinnAir.
"Snowboarding is an Art form. The rider is the artist and his board his tool. Together they make art worth die for."

mof

Post by mof » Mon Nov 24, 2003 7:04 pm

Hmmm..

come to think of it, she (check-in counter chick) asked for my passport, but while I was digging around for it she asked if I had any other ID....

So I guess I must have misread the situation...

MOF

gavin

Post by gavin » Mon Nov 24, 2003 9:22 pm

Thanks everyone.

I think I can safelky leave my passport at the Russian consulate (like I had a choice :roll: )

Anyway, I'll take my Finnish drivers licence and my residence permit with me. I'm sure they're glad to get rid of me, might be trickier getting back in :wink:

Cheers
Gavin