Am slowly going insane over being jobless HELP!!!!

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 25, 2003 8:32 pm

I hope you have been here for a long time already, because if you've been here for not too long, and you're already going insane about being jobless, you're going to be in for a rough ride.

A lot of us have been here for over a year, or even several years, and all that time without a (proper) job.

But well... Keep an eye on the job sites, enough links in the job-section to those sites.
Seeing the amount of adverts in the newspapers and on the sites, it appears as if Finland is crawling out of the dust slowly. So there is still hope :D
Goodluck with your hunt!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Nov 25, 2003 8:43 pm

The problem is not especially you are Kenyan, the problem is you are in Vaasa. Say for me finding a job in Nairobi vs. finding a job say in Wajir...

http://www.mol.fi/cgi-bin/search?DB=TMP ... ae+paikat+

90 free jobs in Vaasa, only 3 jobs in cleaning; ISS would be a safe bet of those. Atleast in Helsinki region they prefer foreigners. Finnish skills though are the issue.

Anyhow, don't let yourself be depressed too easily, and good luck for the search.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Ace

Post by Ace » Tue Nov 25, 2003 8:44 pm

Hei illnana are you a Foxy Brown fan? (your username).

richard berman

Post by richard berman » Tue Nov 25, 2003 8:48 pm

sorry to hear your bad news with your job hunting, when i first came to finland i tried looking for cleaning jobs but was told that i had to speak finnish (you no those finnish hoovers dont understand english). Well I have been to vaasa a couple of times and no there is not alot there, but with christmas on the way you might find some work in the bars or the clubs glass washing glasses etc. well good luck in your hunt for work let us no if you get any think

neil

Post by neil » Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:47 am

Jambo Illnana,

Welcome to the group. Frustrating isn't it? It took me 4 or 5 months to get a cleaning job and I only got that through word-of-mouth. I guess Vaasa is not the best place to be unemployed either. Have you tried asking around the University? That must be a big place that needs to be cleaned regularly. Do they help out the sutdents there at all?

Like Hank said, ISS is probably worth a shot. I know they employ foreigners as there are some working here in the office where I work now.

Hang in there and you'll get there eventually. Everybody does. It's just a matter of time.
Neil

Please add a link to https://www.finlandforum.org*

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Nov 26, 2003 12:09 pm

Funny, in Helsinki I'd think the niceness level between mwn/women would be totally opposite. Then again I have no trouble as I've made a decision not to bother with Finnish woman as they seem to be running after foreign men so let them.

he thing is, the Vaasa women may have encountered some sweet-talking foreign guy before whose strategy is woman+pregnant=marriage=residence permit=goodbye -so they might be slightly apprehensive for that reason. This si one of those things nobody will say straight to your face. It is not racism/xenphobia per se - just read the statistics. Do you get little children staring at you if you go to say Seinäjoki?
Cheers, Hank W.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Nov 26, 2003 12:16 pm

Ah, yes, I know understand your problem exactly. Yes, no "työvoimatoimisto" for you. Just apply to the companies directly. But as I said, come a muzungu like me into Kenya, I'd be looked funny in the countryside as well? What is your major ther in Vaasa BTW?
Cheers, Hank W.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Nov 26, 2003 12:35 pm

OK Illy, so the thing is you are probably the first black person seen by hese persons. Like not in tv or magazine but alive. I have a friend from Malawi he said he came here in 1970's little children come to him to touch and see if the color rubs off... reason - Finland was never an imperialistic nation so there is never been any indigenous black population. The roma (gypsies) are called "black" which is a racial slur so better say 'afrikkalainen'... Statistics I have showed here - before 1990 or so there were virtually no foreigners in Finland... so do not feel so upset, in 10 years you canniot change 60 years of life even for the grandfather. And they all mistake you to be shifta from east of Wajiri anyways...
Cheers, Hank W.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:14 pm

Ulipendalo hupati, hupata ujaliwalo.
Cheers, Hank W.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:31 pm

I am not *that* good in suahili. :mrgreen:

But yes, what I am saying you will not get a 'snap finger' answer to you problem. But you will get one eventually. Just do not become depressed.

I am depressed also but for different reasons, byt as they say:
Penye kuku wengi hapamwagwi mtama
Cheers, Hank W.

distantspaces

Post by distantspaces » Wed Nov 26, 2003 6:29 pm

Illnana,

I can understand what you are going through. I have been through it myself, and so have many others. Life for foreigners here can be tough and the problem is compounded for some of us since we don't 'look like them'.

All I can say is, don't give up hope, never. I am also a student here. My first year here was spent as either being unemployed or then as a toilet cleaner. But I managed to hang around, despite all the depression. Things have now improved significantly.

Believe in yourself - it could only get better from here.

Dara

Post by Dara » Thu Nov 27, 2003 2:54 pm

Yeah Illnana, Finland does have that affect on people... the one thing I still cannot figure out is why we all can't help crawling back to it?! :roll:

PeterF

Re: post subject

Post by PeterF » Thu Nov 27, 2003 3:06 pm

illnana wrote:beng so alone sometimes the silence is too loud am going bonkers???? :cry:

Lonelyness is the killer especially at this time of the year..I hate a Wet Slushy November Sunday. :x
I know it is easier said than done and as a student social life is restricted by available funds etc. :cry: ..but try to get out of your silent lonely room ..go walk and find others to meet with somewhere ...search them down...at least the search gives you something to do.
Or invite a few to your place..but tell them.."bring your own coffee and biscuits!"