Hi - need info (lots of...)

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
thunggakiran

Post by thunggakiran » Thu Nov 27, 2003 12:53 am

Hi friends,

I am an undergrad student studying in India. I am planning on applying for the masters programme in telecommunication at Helsinki University of Technology(HUT). I need some info on...

1. About HUT and its reputation and education standards?. What do finnish people think of HUT and its programmes?.
2. About job oppurtunities in telecommunications field in finland?
3. About part-time jobs and the payscales in and around HUT.

Any HUT students can who can provide more info??

Any Indians studying at HUT??

Bye

Kiran T

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

PeterF

Re: Hi - need info (lots of...)

Post by PeterF » Thu Nov 27, 2003 8:17 am

thunggakiran wrote:Hi friends,

I am an undergrad student studying in India. I am planning on applying for the masters programme in telecommunication at Helsinki University of Technology(HUT). I need some info on...

1. About HUT and its reputation and education standards?. What do finnish people think of HUT and its programmes?.
2. About job oppurtunities in telecommunications field in finland?
3. About part-time jobs and the payscales in and around HUT.

Any HUT students can who can provide more info??

Any Indians studying at HUT??

Bye

Kiran T

Answers to some points:
1: High to very high the HUT international reputation in telecoms is what you might expect from a university within walking distance of Nokia Head Offices. I doubt there is better in North Europe.
2: Nokia and companies who are sub contractors to Nokia and their spin offs do have some vacancies, but until you get your masters you will find competition to fill these vacancies tough. You will also need to have some skill with the Finnish language to be considered by some companies.
3: If you mean telecoms related ..part time very occasionaly..perhaps some summer tasks...non telecoms related..read the cries for help in our Jobs section.

Sorry I am not a student and I am not Indian.

Ace

Post by Ace » Thu Nov 27, 2003 8:27 am

I just did a Neural Networks course taught in a different polytechnic in Helsinki but the lecturer was from HUT:

http://www.cs.hut.fi/~framling/index.html

I've done a course on web programming with the same guy. Well I got 4/5 in both courses so I'd say he's fairly good :-)

They've done some pretty groundbreaking stuff on Neural Networks this guy:

http://www.cis.hut.fi/research/som-research/teuvo.html

Is legendary in his field.

I'd say HUT is a fine University and well respected. I know of two other Indians who are on that telecommunications course too.

distantspaces

Post by distantspaces » Thu Nov 27, 2003 9:50 am

Hi,

In case you have not already checked, this group for Indians studying at HUT might help you. You could post a message there and try to find others studying in the Telecom program.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/india_hut/

Hope this helps, and best of luck!

thunggakiran

Thanks mate

Post by thunggakiran » Thu Nov 27, 2003 2:09 pm

Hi friends,

Thanks for the reply.

I have seen the cries for help regarding part-time jobs. All the messages posted here indicate a very bad situation of jobs in finland. Is it really that bad?

and what are the payscales generally?. what are the oppurtunities for a student to work part-time? Restaurants and ...??. and the payscales??

How do you compare the masters education in finland to tthat in germany?.

bye

kiran t
Kiran T

PeterF

Re: Thanks mate

Post by PeterF » Thu Nov 27, 2003 2:43 pm

thunggakiran wrote:
I have seen the cries for help regarding part-time jobs. All the messages posted here indicate a very bad situation of jobs in finland. Is it really that bad?

and what are the payscales generally?. what are the oppurtunities for a student to work part-time? Restaurants and ...??. and the payscales??

How do you compare the masters education in finland to tthat in germany?.

Yes bad..but show some indication that might be getting better..WE HOPE

Peanuts....and too many profesionals willing to work for low rates in cleaning/waiting/dishwashing..hourly rate...10-20€...if you can find work.
If you dont speak Finnish..then it makes it very very tough.

In Germany you will need to be Fluent in German but the standards of degree and expected demands/quality of your work/thesis etc are also high. By the way have you seen German un-employment statistcis...
They are worst than here!