Water from Tap

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Megstertex

Post by Megstertex » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:44 am

My tap water here is the coldest, purest tasting water anywhere I've been in the world.

When I leave Finland for more than a week, I start to really miss the water (okay, I know that sounds weird, but that's mostly what I drink all day-- no coffee, tea or soda) and the milk. So fresh and pure, they're the best!

Better than any expensive bottled water I've had. And, I actually prefer my bathroom tap--it's colder than in the kitchen. It is really funny to me that many Finnish friends will comment on this making faces as if I am going to get e. coli or something from tap water from the bathroom!

Megs

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

JohnWatson

Post by JohnWatson » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:56 am

Drink what you will / but before spending \idiot money\ check that you really know what you are buying

Read labels / but also know what you read. ALL non/distilled water will give an analysis list showing traces of a long list of MINERALS. Please do familiarize yourself with the amounts /most will be in TRACES / basically parts per million

Tap water yields a very MARKETABLE list / rhat is why many companies just bottle it and add 2 zeros ro the price

Read the following article and find there are even things you DO NOT WANT in the water

http://www.organicconsumers.org/foodsaf ... 121003.cfm

I often like carbonated water / and buy Lidl at inconsequential prices / but at rhe same rime I see Kshops Sshops kiosks etc LOADED with total scams / these folks only give shelf space if it sells/ so there sure are JERKS by the millions out there

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:12 am

JohnWatson wrote:/ but at rhe same rime I see Kshops Sshops kiosks etc LOADED with total scams / these folks only give shelf space if it sells/ so there sure are JERKS by the millions out there
Why would somebody who buys bottled water be more of a jerk than somebody who buys Coca Cola?

Don't get it.

:?

Karhunkoski

Post by Karhunkoski » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:33 am

I'm with Pen on this one. I can't see any difference between someone ordering a fizzy sugary drink and someone who orders a mineral water. OK actually I can see a difference, the water option is healthier. Perhaps choosing a healthy option might make you a jerk in some countries, but I don't see the problem here.
Political correctness is the belief that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

JohnWatson

Post by JohnWatson » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:33 am

OK / you said it I didn\t !!!! :)

I agree with your logical conclusion COMPLETELY!!!!!!!!!

I think I have bought 10 soda pops TOTAL in the last 5 years / and almost usually under duress because I was desperately thirsty or it was included etc / of course it never helped with the thirst as soon as the sugar hit

btw / has anyone noticed there is no public fountain at the Hki airport? If u need to take a pill eg you can cup the water in your hand from the bathroom / or buy a bloody coke or coffee for 3 euro / I use the bathroom water

only airport I\v ever found like that

Karhunkoski

Post by Karhunkoski » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:35 am

Or you can just ask for a glass of water form one of the restaurants/bars. :)
Political correctness is the belief that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

JohnWatson

Post by JohnWatson » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:45 am

Or you can just ask for a glass of water form one of the restaurants/bars. Smile
Well I have been at the airport several hundred times / and have asked for water many times / it DOESN/T work unless you do a routine or happen to find a friendly type / or have the pill in your hand and almost implicate you will have a heart attack otherwise

For the most part they just tell you they charge for the drinks or will charge you 1 Euro etc

Look / the thing has been set up so that you have to pay for any drink so why would they defeat it

But that/s not really the point /why is Helsinki the exception to 1000 airports?

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:41 am

Well, time to make my appearance over here since I would like to add couple things..

Tap water being perfectly fine has been dealt with, good.

Anyway, many towns (since speaking of cities is bit of a stretch even for native when dealing with most places in Finland).

There are huge differences in tap waters, I originate from Mikkeli (little place somewhere far, far away) where tap water is artificial groundwater.

Studied in Jyväskylä, and for some reason water there did not taste good. Ended up taking advantage of juice concentrate we have stockpiled back at home from all those berry bushes at cottage. Made water drinkable.

Of course question of getting used to something. Right now I worry what water will be like in Tampere where I will move next week.

But that was bit offtopic, purchasing bottled water for one or another thing is ok. But trying to get something "beneficial" out of it is rather foolish. Of course every bit of calcium could count, but better drink milk. It has benefit of tasting always good unless you let it stand on table, you can put all kinds of tasty stuff in it and it has vitamin D supplemented.

And comes in many nice nonlactose forms which tend to remain good longer than regular. Personally I would recommend "Laktoositon kevyt/rasvaton maitojuoma". Tastes same as milk but no lactose and does not go bad quickly. I know since my dear nephew tends to have problems dealing with lactose so we always stock up on stuff suitable for him.

And when we look at how most of the water is stored, room temperature for example in shops, it is no surprise that it tends to grow microbes far faster than tapwater which is constantly in movement due to consumption (ok, not in the end of the line but that is why you let water run for a while). Something far more concerning for me at least.

To each his own, I never quite got into bottled water.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:41 pm

Tiwaz wrote:maitojuoma
I'd tell people to steer clear anything labelled "juoma" or "drink"; they're fake. I made the mistake of buying something I thought was orange juice; well it said "juoma" on tha carton. Diluted horsepiss.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:07 pm

Hank W. wrote:
Tiwaz wrote:maitojuoma
I'd tell people to steer clear anything labelled "juoma" or "drink"; they're fake. I made the mistake of buying something I thought was orange juice; well it said "juoma" on tha carton. Diluted horsepiss.
I think it's because most likely due to some odd piece of law they cannot call it milk or something like that.

And they don't want to call it Hyla since that would make people think it's horribly sweet.

It's nothing but milk from which most of lactose has been removed (how, dunno) and rest broken with enzymes.

Tastes just like regular milk. Try it!

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:08 pm

Yes, I agree with Hank on that one. Milk...
There are plenty of good reasons not to drink cows' milk (unless you are a baby cow). I tend to buy organic milk, which is not homogenised and not full of the usual cr@p that gets stuffed into cow feed (and it is the same price as the Hyla Juoma stuff). BTW my fourteen year old who has never ever drunk cows milk (except once when a baby and he ended up in hospital) is a strapping healthy youth, no weight problems, no health problems, no acne, hardly ever catches a cold.... There are plenty of other sources of calcium, and vitamin D. But the likes of Valio and Danone like to think they have a monopoly on children's health :roll:

JohnWatson

Post by JohnWatson » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:28 pm

What is 'organic milk' made from?

(Certainly not organs :) )

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:36 pm

penelope wrote:Yes, I agree with Hank on that one. Milk...
There are plenty of good reasons not to drink cows' milk (unless you are a baby cow). I tend to buy organic milk, which is not homogenised and not full of the usual cr@p that gets stuffed into cow feed (and it is the same price as the Hyla Juoma stuff). BTW my fourteen year old who has never ever drunk cows milk (except once when a baby and he ended up in hospital) is a strapping healthy youth, no weight problems, no health problems, no acne, hardly ever catches a cold.... There are plenty of other sources of calcium, and vitamin D. But the likes of Valio and Danone like to think they have a monopoly on children's health :roll:

Not many equally good sources of calcium actually. And D-vitamin is vital for it's absorption.

I wouldn't worry about lack of calcium having effect on your youth now, I would be more worried on effect possible lack of calcium has in future. It's harder to get solid bones in later age than it is in youth.

Oh, and amount of cr@p in cow feed is rather low here. Tradition of feeding cattle antibiotics for sake of doing so is yet to land here.

But yeah, milk straight from cow is preferable. I myself love ternimaito... Guy renting the fields from us tends to bring us lots of it every year. Great for pancakes...

Juha H.

Post by Juha H. » Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:14 pm

Tiwaz wrote: Studied in Jyväskylä, and for some reason water there did not taste good.
That must have been before the present system where the water is mainly ground water (tekopohjavettä) from Laukaa. The quality changed completely some ten years ago. Before that the water was taken from Lake Tuomiojärvi, in other words it was what they call in Finnish pintavettä.

http://www.jenergia.fi/Resource.phx/jen ... /index.htx

Meri-Tuuli

Post by Meri-Tuuli » Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:43 pm

Tiwaz and anyone else for that matter.....

I'm with Penelope on this.....

Its a complete myth that cows milk is 'good for you'. Sure, its not really bad, but drinking milk or diary products are not in any way essential for health. Actually, I've read quite alot of reports that they are bad for you, giving you breast cancers etc. Well thats probably abit too much for the milk drinkers at the moment so we'll just stick to the fact that not drinking milk won't do you any harm.

There are plenty plenty of other sources of calcium.

For instance, to prove this point, sesame seeds contain far more calcium than milk does -- in fact:

100g sesame seeds = 975mg of calcium
100g milk = 143mg of calcium. (http://www.nutritiondata.com)

Granted, its probably more easier to drink 100g of milk, but then, sesame seeds make up halva (hmmmmm) and also humous (again hmmmm) both of which you could easily eat alot of, so I just want to show you that it'd be better if you got munching on some sesame seeds if you're worried about your calcium!

OK. Here's a test for you.

Think of non-Western cuisine. Think Thai, think Chinese, think Japanese, think African.....and how many of their dishes are based largely on dairy products? Not very many.

Which is trying to prove my point that around 80% of the worlds population do not rely on calcium from dairy products (I read that somewhere and it stuck in my mind - we largely think we're the world, ie the Western World, but we don't make up that much in numbers!). So.

Japan, for instance, has one of the highest life expectancies of anywhere - a diet of fish, green tea, veggies etc. But no dairy! When was the last time you had abit of cream or cheese in your sushi?

Anyway, for instance, I've never eaten red meat in my life. I tried some bacon once and didn't like it. Am I anemic now? No. I have no problems whatsoever with anemia. And I get the doom and gloom all the time about how meat is the best source of iron, I'm ruining my health by not eating red meat etc.

Actually I read that its weight bearing exercise that helps most with prevention of osteoporosis.

People have just been brainwashed throughout the decades that milk is the best/only source of calcium. Which is complete nonsence. Perhaps 200 years ago when people didn't have access to lots of different foods all year round, then perhaps, it would be sensible to drink milk, particulary in the winter. But farming practices would have been different then, the cows would be allowed to eat pasture, ie grass and whatever else they happened to like. Not the feed that they have to eat nowadays which leaves the milk nutrient poor not to mention the pus from the udders.... etcetc. I would not like to be born a modern dairy cow nowadays.