dialysís in Finland

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Amandine.K

Re: dialysís in Finland

Post by Amandine.K » Sun May 24, 2009 11:43 am

The older you get the worse it is. My uncle had it at 35 when his own kids got it. He had blisters everywhere! in the mouth (so couldn't eat, in the ears, in the nose, eyelids... He said it was a nightmare compared to his sons who were at the time 3 and 6 and had it pretty mild.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Sun May 24, 2009 3:27 pm

My middle one had it when he was 8 months old and ended up in hospital (but he was on cortisone for asthma and eczema and that made it so bad the infection was going INSIDE his body). But if you are still feeding the baby (I wasn't) then he benefits from your immunisation.

Be careful with hubby though. I would DEFINITELY mention it to the hospital before they send him home because you CAN catch it twice and you can also get shingles etc If he is on any kind of cortisone treatment then you don't want him catching chickenpox.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Sun May 24, 2009 3:34 pm

Shingles... vyöruusu... rose belt sounds more poetic but thats _nasty_
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » Mon May 25, 2009 8:06 am

biscayne wrote:Hi again!

I am so glad things are looking up for you! It is great to hear your husband will be on the transplant list, and the doctor was correct, Finland is a world-leader in transplant of organs. So,it seems he will be on "normal" dialysis for a few weeks and then on CAPD - continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis, this is the one he can do at home, and it will be much easier for him than going to a dialysis centre. It says "ambulatory", but most people do it at night, or begin it in the evening when they have more or less finished what they are doing for the day. And all the people who mentioned about the taxes etc. are absolutely right. THIS is when you see your tax euros in action, and at least you will not have the financial stress and won't lose your home. I am very glad for you. Husband will probably realistically not recover his full energy levels until he gets a transplant, so things will be heavier for you, but you will both overcome it. When he does get a transplant, bear in mind that he will be on immuno-suppressants for the rest of his life (likely) in for his body not to reject the kidney. These can cause side effects. So, things may never be exactly as they were before, but they will be pretty good.

Well, more likely (unless we make great breakthrough in medicine before that) he WILL have side effects.
I recall one of the Sairaala-series mentioning that prolonged (which "as long as you live" tends to mean) use of immuno-suppressants will end up in plentiful issues with skin. Cancer and variety of other problems.

But then again, choice between that and death...

RA

Post by RA » Mon May 25, 2009 10:09 pm

Allie! Good to hear you finally got some peace of mind or clarity after visiting the hospital and talking to the doctor. Been thinking of you and your family a lot and hope everything turns out okay. You've a lot to deal with so do please continue to write, if we your 'virtual' friends here can ease your burdens somehow it's all for the better. Hugs!!
saving chimpanzees is a big hairy deal

oompah18

Post by oompah18 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:31 am

Back again! Been too tired to write lately, but now hubby has been home a week, visiting hosp for dialysis 3x a week & soon to start CAPD at home.... He looks sooooo much better, and has gained a little weight & a lot of colour & seems to have got his mind back (he was very far gone with anemia that he had lost it I think!). He no longer wakes me with his tossing & turning at night & we all sleep better. The KotiApu service haven´t dome as promised & I only get 3 hrs a week, but I need about 3 daus of 3 hrs, to give me a break, I a totally exhausted, but kids still being angels! Eldest especially happy to see Isi.
It has really made me realise that I need to take things more slowly, not to worry about the mess, disorganisation & chaos of the house, nothing seems more important right now than seeing my hubby happy :D , he is sooo relaxed & plans to go to work after the summer break, but we see........... Money is tight as usual, as the reduced summer bus service ´means he has to take a return taxi trip 3x a week, about 40 euros each way. We haven´t got that kind of money at all, & even though KELA will give him 200eur a month towards expenses, we are living on loans from friends & family till the end of the month. Then at least, he SHOULD be ok for home, night time dialysis. dreading the bills from hospiatl for they long stay he had & now the treatment, because it is that thing of paying first & reclaiming later. he hasn´t had a salary yet, since being ill, so we shall see. But good news is that the bank have let him off the next 2 months mortgage payments, only wanting the interest payments, that should help a lot too. Shopping is not too difficult, it has made me more aware of the rubbish that goes into food, especially E numbers, which he has to be very careful of. But he is happy as he can still have 2dl of milk & 2 slices of cheese a day & he assures me that he can have sausages on the barbeque, well certain ones anyway :D .
Life is not totally easy right now of course, but it IS life, I am so happy & appreciating every minute of it from now on, I can tell you.
Tired Allie
Allie the Britmum, "äiti" to 3 boys, 10,9 and 7, & little princess, 4.

Amandine.K

Post by Amandine.K » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:49 am

Do check on that taxi thing. I remember seeing patients flying from Oulu to Helsinki to receive special treatment!

Im happy to read that things are settling and that your hubby feels much better.

Take care :)

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:56 pm

Same with the hospital bills. Isn't there a ceiling and when you reach that amount they don't charge you anything else? If you have private insurance then you should be able to arrange for the hospital to send the bill straight to the insurance company.

Great news your husband is getting better. Hopefully he can relax during the summer (after all he would be on holiday anyway wouldn't he?) and think about going back to work after he's really got into the swing of the dialysis and the new diet. How's the chicken pox? Did all the kids get it in the end?

Take care!
P

jhnn

Post by jhnn » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:48 pm

There is a ceiling to the hospital payments but yet again they won't tell you when you have reached it. Keep all the hospital bills and get in touch with someone from hospital's financial department when you've reached the ceiling (590 €). Then your husband will get a card that he has to show when he goes for his treatment and they won't send any more bills. At least that is the way it works in Helsinki.

All the best,
jhnn

oompah18

Post by oompah18 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:58 pm

by the way, no one else has chickenpox yet, 12 days after eldest got it, but I expect it will come soon.......
I nust check out what you say re payments of transport & treatment, but it sure seems that he must pay first then claim after. we have less than 40eur between us right now for living, till he gets paid his salary on the 15th, so we shall see! Just found out that our Kunta are stopping the extra money they have been giving mums with babies from 9mths to 2 yrs, in Aug, so I just miss out on getting a little more money :evil: . But, thanks to many friends taking me to REAL supermarkets, not our lonely Siwa, I have got loads of food in, much cheaper than normal, especially plenty of protein for hubby, meat in the freezer!
more anon

ilikepeanutbutter

Post by ilikepeanutbutter » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:13 pm

Sorry to hear about your husband geting sick and all of it, yikes. Praying for him and you as well as your kids!

Kat

oompah18

Post by oompah18 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:14 am

:evil: :evil: :evil:
Apparently he can only claim free taxi ride if he goes to hemodialysis permanently, but because he is only on it for 6 wks or so, then doing peri. dialysis at home, he cannot get it free. Who makes up these rules anyway? He needs hemo d. now to stay alive :evil:
I just bought a book, Dialysis Without Fear, a guide for patients & their families. It really explains a lot to me
I take a deep breath & am thankful for every day we have together now. Anyway, he seems so relaxed & happy now, can´t believe he was so sick & miserable for so long before .........
Allie

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:24 am

You should watch the movie "Unknown Soldier" theres two lines you find quite familiar...

"I am hungry bit its calories or colories, they present you a paper that has these calories and explain you cannot be hungry. can you eat these calories?"

"lieutenant told me to get new boots"
"come now take everything, a man comes in and wants new boots. you think as if we were in america, come on now take everything"
"I can understand a man who loves beautiful womens, but a man who loves in such manner rags and clothes thats a bit too far"
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

oompah18

Post by oompah18 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:25 am

Ahhh, now the other 3 have vesirokko, chickenpox, even the exclusively breastfed, 6 month old, life goes on........
Kotiapu came today & I begged for more than 3 hrs a week help, so they said I may be lucky & get 2 hrs 3x a week from next week...... anything. Hubby bought a wonderful book of recipes for dialysis patients (in Finnish of course), only 2 problems, 1. can we get all this nondairy substitute stuff in SIWA? 2. Have we enough money to buy it all anyway? Still, he plans to restart baking bread again from this weekend.
Have a good weekend everyone (please don´t mention the cricket :beamer: )

EP

Post by EP » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:33 am

You really have it tough right now. My sympathies.

What do you mean by non-dairy? If it just means lactose free they certainly must have it, so many Finns are lactose intolerant. But if it means soymilk and other such stuff they might not have it in a small Siwa. But my guess is that they would order it if you ask for it. The small market next to me orders what people want/need if it is not something they carry normally. Just ask for the "myymälävastaava" or "kauppias" and tell him/her about your situation. I am certain you will get what you need.