Finnish funeral, how to?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Pursuivant

Re: Finnish funeral, how to?

Post by Pursuivant » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:25 pm

Black gloves, white scarf, dark over/trenchcoat, black hat...

"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

abraxasss

Post by abraxasss » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:21 pm

Well yes it has been also a bit of a surprise for me how the finnish funerals go on.
Interestingly there was a priest and all was in the chapel but there was not really a lot of prayers. But I have assigned it to difference between faith.
I found this whole say couple of words about the dead one very nice and thoughtful.
However, the priest on the funeral reception was odd for me (he almost demanded to be there)... and I am a catholic. Felt weird. One more thing I found weird after the priest left started the drinking (ok, not like it doesn't happen in my country) but the fact that Finns took out a karaoke set and started singing and dancing was quite shocking for me.

After all when we want to say to somebody we will be happy when he dies (meaning we hate him) we say - "I will dance and sing on your funeral/above your grave".

So it was a bit of a shock for me. I didn't know what to say or how to behave in this situation.

EP

Post by EP » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:35 pm

So it was a bit of a shock for me. I didn't know what to say or how to behave in this situation.
I would not either. I have been to many, many funerals and not even in a single one there has been alcohol or dancing or karaoke. OK, in one funeral a son of the deceased poured some cognac on the grave, that is the only alcohol I have seen in funerals. He just said that his dad would have liked it.

Maybe karaoke was the deceased person´s wish. I remember my father had written instructions what he wanted his funeral to be like. The orders were that nobody looks sad, and everybody must eat well. Then there was a list of 5-6 songs he wanted people to sing. They were popular hits from 1950´s.

CarmenfromTexas

Post by CarmenfromTexas » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:00 pm

EP wrote:Maybe karaoke was the deceased person´s wish. I remember my father had written instructions what he wanted his funeral to be like. The orders were that nobody looks sad, and everybody must eat well. Then there was a list of 5-6 songs he wanted people to sing. They were popular hits from 1950´s.
I'm willing to bet that was the case. After the proper respect is paid towards a person's passing away, some people want their life celebrated too. It's hard to figure out how to get that right but I respect people trying to please the deceased. I think it's very nice your Dad has his favorite songs chosen, EP. That is a very nice touch to remind friends and family of some of the tunes he enjoyed most.
Eat the chicken and spit out the bones