Recommend Places to Live in Helsinki

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
TampereOwl

Re: Recommend Places to Live in Helsinki

Post by TampereOwl » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:06 pm

Actually reading the OP, he only had one district on the wrong side of the bridge. The others would be fine (don't know ruoholahti, but it's got to be better than espoo), and better than Töölö, if you can afford them.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

gurmukh

Post by gurmukh » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:53 pm

Hey Guys!

I'm loving the replys, the sense of humour is great! Thanks once again for your input, so try to avoid Espoo at all costs, got it!!

If you are near Helsinki, I must buy you all a round to say thanks!!

G

EP

Post by EP » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:20 am

What is wrong with Espoo? I have lived here since 1976 and I have no complaints. Near enough to services, near enough to nature.

Mikie

Post by Mikie » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:05 am

EP wrote:What is wrong with Espoo? I have lived here since 1976 and I have no complaints. Near enough to services, near enough to nature.
I think the complaint about Espoo are coming from people born after 1976. It is a very nice place, just not really all that exciting. If you're younger and single, staying closer to the center is best. Especially if you're an English only speaker.

Töölö is a great neighborhood, I live here and absolutely love it. Quiet with parks, close to the sea and close to the center with great transportation routes. Depending on where in Tööló you look, it won't be too bad of a commute, but still a commute.

Rip

Post by Rip » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:47 am

gurmukh wrote:Thanks very much, what are your thoughts on Töölö?

Is this a nice safe area with good transport links?
It's a good reputation area, which also means it is fairly pricey. It has very good connections to city center, so you'd probably switch there (in Kamppi) to bus towards Otaniemi. Check the YTV link. There are at least some smallish supermarkets in area, but I assume the locals often shop at the center. As others have indicated, it has definitely more bars and restaurants than mentioned areas further from center have.

Lehtisaari was mentioned by Amandine. I'm skeptical about the local shopping possibilities.Otherwise I'm sure it would be nice, but it is a pricey area, and the number of suitable apartments for you must be small.

There is point in the preceding discussion about Helsinki (central) vs Espoo - in the end can it get too quiet and peaceful for you in the evenings?

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:51 am

Then again someone expecting "vibrancy" ought to settle in the Hakaniemi-Sörnäinen area. Also with bars and clubs and thai massage parlors...
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

gurmukh

Post by gurmukh » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:08 am

Someone has made a very good point, being an English only speaker (initially) I would need to live in a place where basic english is understood. Would I be ok in Hakaniemi? (thai palours for me are a no no!! lol )

Checking out YTV, the transport link to the office is great!

zax

Post by zax » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:28 am

gurmukh wrote:Someone has made a very good point, being an English only speaker (initially) I would need to live in a place where basic english is understood. Would I be ok in Hakaniemi? (thai palours for me are a no no!! lol )

Checking out YTV, the transport link to the office is great!
You worry too much! I survived out in the sticks with no Finnish (pretty much still do :D). You're talking about the suburbs of Helsinki, not some reindeer herding station up north! Hakaniemi will be fine. But if forced to live in the city, personally I would prefer Lauttasaari.