Humidifier - ilmankostutin

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
clarissasc

Post by clarissasc » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:13 pm

Moi kaikki!

I've been wanting to buy a humidifierfor my flat, since my skin and lungs are suffering too much right now.

What would you recommend? The cheapest, the best. ;)

Thanks!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Karhunkoski

Re: Humidifier - ilmankostutin

Post by Karhunkoski » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:20 pm

There was a thread about this last week, but of course you did a search first before your own posting, and you already read that I guess? ;)

My summary:

The flash electronic ones require cleaning, sometimes filters, can harbour bacteria, and cover your home with a fine dust.

The best basic ones I've found are UFOX. (Link on the other thread on this subject).
Political correctness is the belief that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Mook

Post by Mook » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:22 pm

Cheapest - sit a dish of water on your radiator.
---
Image http://blog.enogastronomist.com | http://blog.enogastronomisti.com

clarissasc

Post by clarissasc » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:39 pm

Karhunkoski wrote:There was a thread about this last week, but of course you did a search first before your own posting, and you already read that I guess? ;)
Oops. Image Sorry about that. Image

Thanks anyway. :) I'm gonna do a search for the other thread now. Image

arithon

Post by arithon » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:34 pm

I tried to search for the other thread mentioned but I could not find it

I am an exchange student studying in Helsinki right now. Can anyone tell me where I can buy a cheap humidifier? the dry air is really killing my skin, it's flaking like mad

is there a shop near, say, the central railway station where i could get a humidifier? or does anyone have a second hand one they would like to sell?

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:10 am

Clas Ohlson is in Kamppi and also on Mannerheim:

http://www.clasohlson.fi/Siteseeker/Sea ... ankostutin

But I'm sure there are cheaper ones. You need a Tarjoustalo (in Kaisaniemi) or a Gigantti or a Biltema. Or a big supermarket like Prisma (Itäkeskus).

For a secondhand one try the UFF and FIDA shops around town.

clarissasc

Post by clarissasc » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:53 am

arithon wrote:I tried to search for the other thread mentioned but I could not find it

I am an exchange student studying in Helsinki right now. Can anyone tell me where I can buy a cheap humidifier? the dry air is really killing my skin, it's flaking like mad

is there a shop near, say, the central railway station where i could get a humidifier? or does anyone have a second hand one they would like to sell?
I had the same problem and gave up searching, then came upon the post by accident.

It's this one: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=43100&start=0

arithon

Post by arithon » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:07 am

i just came back from the prisma at kannelmaki and they don't sell humidifiers there :(
but i did stock up on groceries though
they are substantially cheaper than at the alepa near my place

arithon

Post by arithon » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:37 am

i just checked up on the stores mentioned and only Biltema sells a decent humidifier at 30 euros
but it's really far from where i live argh

and i can't find anywhere that sells the Ufox brand (although i've emailed the company)
anybody has any idea?

umit

Post by umit » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:48 am

I dont recommend you to buy those "cool mist" humidifiers (see the other post ;) ). The best option seems that 2 euro hang off containers... I couldnt find them yet, though :roll:
biscayne wrote:Yeah, I just bought a few of those little containers which hang off the radiators, they were 2 euro each, and they are working well enough for me. Obviously, you can put distilled water in them if you want to. I just put normal water in and a few drops of oils which smell nice and it's cheaper than those ambi-pur thingees. I put lavender oil in the ones in the bedrooms and fruity ones in the living area.
Edit: A week ago there was an ufox humidifier at Musta Porssi in Kamppi. It was about 80e.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:12 am

arithon wrote:i just checked up on the stores mentioned and only Biltema sells a decent humidifier at 30 euros
but it's really far from where i live argh
You are aware that Biltema is known as a mail order business?
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

arithon

Post by arithon » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:15 am

80euro is expensive =/
but i guess you can't really put a price on comfort and good rest

my current skin is so dry and itchy that i can't even sleep properly at night

i hope they still have one in stock...

interleukin

Post by interleukin » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:26 am

Have you considered going to the pharmacy and buying a big bucket of moisturising cream? It will hardly cost you more than a few euros. I put on cream every evening before going to sleep and I would itch to death if I did not. Get a cream that you can put on your whole body (including face), the people in the pharmacy can surely help you out.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:41 pm

If you have radiators you can put wet towels on them to humidify the room.

If you have underfloor heating you can place any container of water on the floor to humidify the room.

Hanging up wet laundry to dry in your bedroom, rather than in the bathroom or wherever might help also.

I think you can get the plastic "hang over the radiator" thingies from Etola ???

arithon

Post by arithon » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:44 am

2 days ago i bought a humidifier from stockmann

they had one of the Ufox models, the bigger one. it was selling for 119 euro. far too expensive
so i bought a smaller travel model from air-o-swiss, described to me by the sales assistant as a "steam" humidifier

when i got back i discovered it was an ultrasonic one and i emailed the manufacturer, and found out that it does not come with a demineralization cartridge (filter)

does anybody know if stockmann has a return policy? (ie, will i be able to refund the humidifier?)