Experiences: Parking Fines

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
MikeD

Re: Experiences: Parking Fines

Post by MikeD » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:46 pm

umit wrote:Finns have a sadomasochist obsession to obey the rules and defend the authorities against individuals. They behave like robots and do nothing outside the code (Three Laws of the Robotics) their programmer wrote. Everything is either white or black, no such color like gray. Discussing something which falls beyond the boundaries of the current rules is out of their perception, therefore pointless.
Maybe Finns have realized that having (and obeying) a set of rules makes life easier and reduces unnecessary stress in everyday situations?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

umit

Post by umit » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:56 pm

MikeD wrote:Maybe Finns have realized that having (and obeying) a set of rules makes life easier and reduces unnecessary stress in everyday situations?
It may be true only if you are isolated from the rest of the world. If you are to interact with Italians and Swedes, sticking to rigid rules makes life difficult (for both sides) and increases unnecessary stress in everyday situations.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:01 pm

umit wrote:
MikeD wrote:Maybe Finns have realized that having (and obeying) a set of rules makes life easier and reduces unnecessary stress in everyday situations?
It may be true only if you are isolated from the rest of the world. If you are to interact with Italians and Swedes, sticking to rigid rules makes life difficult (for both sides) and increases unnecessary stress in everyday situations.
Only if the Italians and Swedes don't know how to park here... I'm prepared to diskutera and drive like a maniac if I'm going to Sweden or Italy (not, I'm not going to drive in Italy).
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:08 pm

umit wrote:
Or, to echo Uppher, Italians and Swedes could learn to act more responsibly and effectively.

Meaning they would have system which WORKS (instead of miserable excuse of corruption called Italy) and would spend less time in meetings and more time doing something useful!

filecore

Post by filecore » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:14 pm

I agree. Saying we should do it badly and inconvenience others just because "they do it too", just makes us as bad as them - it doesn't make their behaviour any better.

To paraphrase something parents often say to their children when giving the same excuse, "if all the Italians went and jumped off a cliff, would you do the same thing too?"

Bavarian

Post by Bavarian » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:38 pm

Upphew wrote:Only if the Italians and Swedes don't know how to park here... I'm prepared to diskutera and drive like a maniac if I'm going to Sweden or Italy (not, I'm not going to drive in Italy).
Example #54398572, as if we needed any more, of how "multiculturalism" always seems to wind up meaning that the Finns are expected to give up their culture in favor of the other guys'.

When in Finland, do as the Finns do.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:40 pm

umit wrote:[ If you are to interact with Italians and Swedes, sticking to rigid rules makes life difficult (for both sides) and increases unnecessary stress in everyday situations.
Well you don't have to take any unnecessary stress. The 15.05 train leaves 15.05. The Italian guy dawdling to the train station at 15.15 will cause me stress at 15.45 coming to whine for a taxi, so I'll take a coffee break and go diskutera with the Swedes. :lol:
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

MTB

Post by MTB » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:57 pm

The 15.05 train leaves 15.05.
Allow me: ROTFL.

I think life in prison or concentration camps is great, you don't have issues with planning, everything is already planned and works perfectly.
And don't remind me of the lady speaking on the phone and driving 65 km/h on the second lane (barely, I should give her credits as she was keeping the first lane busy also) for the whole keha II. Finns like to obey the law ;)

DMC

Post by DMC » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:27 pm

Pursuivant wrote:The 15.05 train leaves 15.05.
Whilst reading that, at 18:22, I got an SMS from my wife that said:
The train should be at 18:28 in Orivesi but it is late. Still in Tampere.
Says it all really. To be fair, I have used Finnish trains quite a lot and they are usually reasonably punctual. Certainly not the worst I have used, just nowhere near as good as most Finns believe them to be.

umit

Post by umit » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:57 pm

I repeat...
umit wrote:Discussing something which falls beyond the boundaries of the current rules is out of their perception, therefore pointless.
Here I offer you a choice between two pills: A blue pill that would return you to your old masochist robotic life, and a red pill that would allow you to learn the meaning of Matrix. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

AldenG

Post by AldenG » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:24 pm

MTB wrote:
The 15.05 train leaves 15.05.
Allow me: ROTFL.

I think life in prison or concentration camps is great, you don't have issues with planning, everything is already planned and works perfectly.
Point taken, but I believe historians tell us that contrary to the popular quip, Hitler and Mussolini actually did NOT make the trains run any more on time than they were running before.
As he persisted, I was obliged to tootle him gently at first and then, seeing no improvement, to trumpet him vigorously with my horn.

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:21 am

umit wrote:Here I offer you a choice between two pills: A blue pill that would return you to your old masochist robotic life, and a red pill that would allow you to learn the meaning of Matrix. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
And I offer one pill. It is called Reality...

And Reality shall reveal to thee, that nations which consider rules to be something to avoid instead of obey...

Never account for anything significant. Look at Italy. PIIGS rings any bells? There is no F for Finland there, but ther is I for Italy...
And G for Greece. And P for Portugal. And S for Spain. All "relaxed" nations. And Ireland is there too.

Meanwhile, "masochist" robots are doing rather well. So, which example is superior? One which produces successful nation, or one which does... Not...

umit

Post by umit » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:05 am

Tiwaz wrote:Meanwhile, "masochist" robots are doing rather well. So, which example is superior? One which produces successful nation, or one which does... Not...
Then why do Finns whine when it comes to save the a$$es of those "relaxed" nations? You should be happy and proud for obeying and fulfilling EU rules... You should feel a masochist joy for working harder to pay their debts.

Anyway, discussing on the fallacies doesn't help anyone. I never said not obeying the rules is good. What I have been saying is applying a rule strictly as it is written is not necessarily the best approach. If the law says "You cannot park your car less than 5 meters to a pedestrian crossing" and a parking warden gives me a ticket for parking my car 4,99 meters away then for me he is an idiot a$$hole. If you are defending him for doing his job properly and criticizing me for not obeying the rules than you are either a "helpless monkey" or a "masochist robot".

Further reading:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statutory_interpretation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purposive_approach

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:29 am

umit wrote:If the law says "You cannot park your car less than 5 meters to a pedestrian crossing" and a parking warden gives me a ticket for parking my car 4,99 meters away then for me he is an idiot a$$hole. If you are defending him for doing his job properly and criticizing me for not obeying the rules than you are either a "helpless monkey" or a "masochist robot".
Yet you would be moaning, if you bought something that needs to be 500cm long and it would be 499cm? Thus reducing yourself to idiot a$$hole?
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

CH

Post by CH » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:37 am

umit wrote:If you are defending him for doing his job properly and criticizing me for not obeying the rules than you are either a "helpless monkey" or a "masochist robot".
I see you were the star of the Debate Club.