Experiences: Parking Fines

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
jmakinen

Re: Experiences: Parking Fines

Post by jmakinen » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:26 am

Which way did the Supreme Court decision go? I don't regard outsourcing as profit-seeking so much as cost-saving. There is a difference, and I would want all councils to do all their work, including controlling parking, as cheaply as possible.
This is NOT outsourcing!! - it is private companies handling private property using public law (to me in a very dubious way - regardless of KO decision)

Public enforcement of public property parking areas can indeed be a revenue-generator if administered properly. (Along with the function of disciplinary consequences encouraging lawful behavior)

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:42 am

Well you look at the UK where they have outsourced tho these cowboy-clamping companies.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

DMC

Post by DMC » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:17 am

jmakinen wrote:This is NOT outsourcing!! - it is private companies handling private property using public law (to me in a very dubious way - regardless of KO decision)
What exactly is not outsourcing? Do you mean the situation described by Rip:
the parking company operating principle where they set up large boards (having made a contract with the land owner) stating the condition under which you are allowed to park on that piece of land, and containing the sentences "you'll be charged a fee of 40€ if you park here in violation of these terms" and "by parking here you accept these terms"
If so I agree with you that it is not outsourcing, and has nothing to do with this discussion. Yet you didn't quote that you quoted my reference to outsourcing, which was related to MTBs statement about
There was a decision from Finnish Supreme Court if it is constitutional or not not let private companies to issue fines on public domain (ie Esplanadi for example).
I think this IS outsourcing.

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:19 am

MTB wrote:3. I generally considered sufficient proof if somebody is complaining about your parking, and of course the rules are on his side, you should get a fine. If the truck can still get out within a decent time, and without doing a lot of extra maneuvers, and the driver does not call the police/parking wardens, you should not get fined for leaving your car 1 or 2 meters over the sign. I ask for a little judgement of the situation, given the fact that there is lack of parking places almost everywhere - not blindly obeying the law.
Maybe I should not get punished for trashing your car if it inconveniences me by being parked wrongly.

Then I would agree. There is ZERO point in making fining somehow "voluntary" and requiring someone overworking already overworked police or having to call parking wardens.

Simply make it a law that should car be parked illegally, everyone owning a sledgehammer and feeling inconvenienced by someones parking habits has right to take the mentioned sledgehammer and deliver very clear message of the habits of person who parked the car.

If there is shortage of parking places, how about learning to use public transportation or parking further away and walking?

Rick1

Post by Rick1 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:51 am

As soon as I can I outsource myself from this SM-country. And yes it is outsourcing, this means paying a !"#¤% of taxes and paying extra if you need the services earlier paid by the taxes. Finns love it.

umit

Post by umit » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:54 am

Finns have a sadomasochist obsession to obey the rules and defend the authorities against individuals. They behave like robots and do nothing outside the code (Three Laws of the Robotics) their programmer wrote. Everything is either white or black, no such color like gray. Discussing something which falls beyond the boundaries of the current rules is out of their perception, therefore pointless.

However, I see more and more Finns (pedestrians) crossing the deserted streets while the lights are red for them. :thumbsup:

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:04 am

The idea of "everybody obeying the rules" means that for example you can leave your door open (or have a front door without a lock) and if you leave a broom leaning it means you are not at home. If there are people then not abiding to the rules, like using this information burgling, then this means a lot of people have to change their habit because of one arshole. If you can trust everyone obeys the rules, then you have it much easier in planning things. Like if the meeting is set at 14, the Finns will be there 13.55, the persentation is 10 minutes, so 14.20 the decision is made and you can promise your boss he can sign the tender 14.30 and you can promise the wife to pick up the kid from the creche at 15. If you then have peoiple "breaking the rules", with Italians coming 15 minutes late to the meeting and Swedes discussing every point you cannot plan your evening.

Rick1

Post by Rick1 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:07 am

Well since you were so happy with the EU and its open borders you can forget about that if you do not want to search your stuff somewhere in Romania, Lithuania or elsewhere.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:17 am

Actually I've seen that broom on the door in rural Estonia still in 2009, and in Finnish movies from the 1950's...

Rick1

Post by Rick1 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:18 am

Knowing some ladies here, that is quite handy if you want to fly away quickly :lol: (No parking space needed:-)

filecore

Post by filecore » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:31 am

Pursuivant wrote: Like if the meeting is set at 14, the Finns will be there 13.55, the persentation is 10 minutes
*snigger*

Edit 1: interesting, 'snigger' triggered the profanity filter. I wonder if the same applies to 'Arsenal', 'Scunthorpe', 'grapes', et al .
Edit 2: yes it does to the ones in italics, but not to the football team (context) :-)
Last edited by filecore on Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:39 am

The profanity filter causes niggardly vocabulary use.

filecore

Post by filecore » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:41 am

I was going to persecute you for your use of 'persentation', but it seems the profanity filter doesn't work per se - because it doesn't filter Finnish swearwords!

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:43 am

Oh but it does, albeit the vituperation of St.Vitus dance crashes in basic forms only, voi v!%#

umit

Post by umit » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:13 pm

Pursuivant wrote:The idea of "everybody obeying the rules" means that for example you can leave your door open (or have a front door without a lock) and if you leave a broom leaning it means you are not at home. If there are people then not abiding to the rules, like using this information burgling, then this means a lot of people have to change their habit because of one arshole. If you can trust everyone obeys the rules, then you have it much easier in planning things. Like if the meeting is set at 14, the Finns will be there 13.55, the persentation is 10 minutes, so 14.20 the decision is made and you can promise your boss he can sign the tender 14.30 and you can promise the wife to pick up the kid from the creche at 15. If you then have peoiple "breaking the rules", with Italians coming 15 minutes late to the meeting and Swedes discussing every point you cannot plan your evening.
If everybody is a little bit more flexible, then planning things would be even easier...