Finnish Grammar?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
filecore

Re: Finnish Grammar?

Post by filecore » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:00 pm

tuulen wrote:So, begin easy, and then build on what you have learned.
I once heard a pithy little truism about English compared to Finnish. Basically, if you imagine a triangle, point downwards, then that's English. You start at the bottom, and it seems dead easy to grasp a little and say some basic things. Then, as you learn more, it gets more and more complex the more you learn, until you're into a mass of synonyms, homonyms, rules that are more exception than rule, and random things that just don't make any sense at all, even to native speakers.

Finnish, on the other hand, is like a triangle point up. You start at the bottom, and when you come to it, it's really complex looking and there's a lot to learn - but, like moving upwards in the triangle, you build upon everything you struggled to learn at the start. The further you get, the less you need to learn, because it already fits within the structure of what came below! When you're finally at the top, it's largely a matter of learning new vocabulary and keeping up with changing slang - just as the other native speakers have to, anyhow.

Hope that mental image helps :-) it certainly got me through many nights filled with tears and Finnish homework.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Adelina

Post by Adelina » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:12 pm

Hei Pursuivant!
No, I am not using that exact same book, but I do use one written by the same authors. It is yellow and you can see it on that link you sent me if you scroll down a bit. Actually I started learning after Florin Dimulescu's and Lea Luodes's guidebook and it is very good, but this one(the yellow one) isn't bad either, it contains a lot of usual expresions and sentences, it even has a small dictionary at the end, but it doesn't contain any grammar, at least not this version.
Do you want to learn romanian or you were just curious about this book? If you want to learn I'll gladly help you with it! :)
bye

tuulen

Post by tuulen » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:03 pm

filecore wrote:...Basically, if you imagine a triangle, point downwards, then that's English.

Finnish, on the other hand, is like a triangle point up...
I can see both of those views, and they do seem fairly accurate. And yes, Finnish has a vertical wall for a learning curve. Whew!

Bubba Elvis XIV

Post by Bubba Elvis XIV » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:08 pm

filecore wrote:tears and Finnish homework.
I'm just doing some exercise about the perfekti and imperfekti... :cry:

Mind you, the longest I have lasted on a Finnish course...so not all bad, I guess.
Black Flag kills ants on contact

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:09 pm

Adelina wrote:Do you want to learn romanian or you were just curious about this book? If you want to learn I'll gladly help you with it!
Well, not really, I'm having two Romanian people to teach some Finnish, and I was wondering if it was any good from the Romanian POV... I don't really need any other Romanian except some phrases like eu nu vreau să cumpere binocluri
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Canuck77

Post by Canuck77 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:18 pm

I have finished my Finnish for Foreigners I at Turun kesäyliopisto, and Leila White's Finnish for Beginners
was the best book for my course (suggested by the course itself), and for my everyday learning.

Thanks all! I am sticking to Leila White's book, and to summer university.

:D