Microwave combi oven and grill

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
riku2

Re: Microwave combi oven and grill

Post by riku2 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:37 am

Rosilla wrote: I see why it can be hard for foreigners to move there without a valid reason... Personally I'm so used to getting items cheep, I'm not sure if I could handle the prices (even if I can afford them) just out of principle...
I have found that if you don't travel a lot from finland then you get used to the prices and don't notice and so are reasonably happy. But now that I travel back to the UK every few months i'm painfully aware of the price differences, happily lufthansa give me 40kg luggage allowance so finnish shops don't get too much of my money now.
Aspirin: 10x UK prices (since you can buy aspirin from Lidl in the UK).
Deodorant: 2x UK price (same product)
Sodastream concentrate: 3x UK price (same product)
Laura Ashley curtain fabric: 3x UK price
Designers Guild: similar 3-4x price difference due to good sales and free delivery from their webstore.
Lonely Planet Ireland: UK price 8.80e (delivered from amazon). Finland price: probably about 30e!
jams and marmelade: don't even bother to look at finnish prices (or the selection. don't agree that what they call "marmalade" is actually marmalade
Tea Bags: approx 2x UK price, plus each tea bag contains 25% more tea (comparing twinings 100x earl gray UK with twinings 100x earl gray Finland)
dried filled torellini: about 2x the price in italy. Similar for any kind of rice.
Blu ray players: bought mine at less than 1/2 finnish price. Similar for the AV amp and DVD recorder.
shower gel: paid 1 pounds for original source. Finnish shops do not get such brands and certainly nothing good at that price.
Biscuits: I paid 5pounds for a large tin of 800g. Finnish price about 4x that (not that you can buy nice tins of biscuits for presents in finland, you should buy a box of panda chocolates instead).
Shaving foam: a lot more, have never bought any in finland.
Disposable razors: about 2-3x the price, wilkinson sword/scheck not imported to Finland.
Family size fresh tiramisu: 2e at tesco, same product over 7e in Finland (sadly cannot put this in my suitcase)
Clarks shoes: have paid 30pounds for pairs at clarks owns stores. 33e for a pair of good shoes in finland - forget it.
Helly Hansen jacket (and pretty much any top brand clothing): about 1/2 or 1/3 the price of finland when you visit bicester village.
Dyson vacuum cleaner: 160e from argos. same model is 380e at verkkokauppa.

There is almost nothing cheaper in Finland than the UK, perhaps electricity and water (especially if you consider you either have to buy bottled water or a water filter in england). But that's about it.

And the finnish idea of a sale .. 20% off and they think they're doing you a favour. In the UK 50 or 60% is what makes a good sale.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:42 am

Reality is, that if Finnish shops started selling at same prices as British ones, they would go bankrupt.

As for sale... Mmm. What it tells us about air in the prices if cutting half off is where sales start?

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:29 pm

riku2 wrote:Aspirin: 10x UK prices (since you can buy aspirin from Lidl in the UK).
Painkillers are like manuals, used as a last resort
riku2 wrote:Deodorant: 2x UK price (same product)
We don't smell/man should smell like a man to be a man!
riku2 wrote:Sodastream concentrate: 3x UK price (same product)
Sodastream concentrate? uh? Should I go to UK ask for the price of mämmi?
riku2 wrote:Laura Ashley curtain fabric: 3x UK price
Who the F is Laura Ashley and why should I buy curtain fabric with funny name? Fabric is fabric?
riku2 wrote:Designers Guild: similar 3-4x price difference due to good sales and free delivery from their webstore.
No comments.
riku2 wrote:Lonely Planet Ireland: UK price 8.80e (delivered from amazon). Finland price: probably about 30e!
In Finnish or in some marginal language?
riku2 wrote:jams and marmelade: don't even bother to look at finnish prices (or the selection. don't agree that what they call "marmalade" is actually marmalade
Haven't looked at prices nor selection as I don't use marmelade... no wonder if there is no selection and prices are sky high if there are lots of people like me.
riku2 wrote:Tea Bags: approx 2x UK price, plus each tea bag contains 25% more tea (comparing twinings 100x earl gray UK with twinings 100x earl gray Finland)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... per_capita
riku2 wrote:dried filled torellini: about 2x the price in italy. Similar for any kind of rice.
We don't have filled torrellini trees here. Btw, what is filled torrellini? Kind of rice? There are multiple kinds?
riku2 wrote:Blu ray players: bought mine at less than 1/2 finnish price. Similar for the AV amp and DVD recorder.
No comments here
riku2 wrote:shower gel: paid 1 pounds for original source. Finnish shops do not get such brands and certainly nothing good at that price.
So? I wonder how easy it would get proper shampoo in England... like Erittäin hieno Suomalainen terva shampoo
riku2 wrote:Biscuits: I paid 5pounds for a large tin of 800g. Finnish price about 4x that (not that you can buy nice tins of biscuits for presents in finland, you should buy a box of panda chocolates instead).
What does pulla cost in England?
riku2 wrote:Shaving foam: a lot more, have never bought any in finland.
Iirc my Pirkka shaving foam cost less than 2€, but I haven't used it a lot, so the bottle is probably in risk to explode as it is so rusty. (note to self, hide it properly from missus so it won't get thrown away)
riku2 wrote:Disposable razors: about 2-3x the price, wilkinson sword/scheck not imported to Finland.
True, razors cost arm and leg (no wonder they have security devices), but they do last for long long time imho.
riku2 wrote:Family size fresh tiramisu: 2e at tesco, same product over 7e in Finland (sadly cannot put this in my suitcase)
Tiramisu... probably something to eat? Vegetable? I'm happy with my carrots and apples, no need to get fancy veggies.
riku2 wrote:Clarks shoes: have paid 30pounds for pairs at clarks owns stores. 33e for a pair of good shoes in finland - forget it.
My Adidas Spezials cost that! What does Nokia's rubber boots cost in England?
riku2 wrote:Helly Hansen jacket (and pretty much any top brand clothing): about 1/2 or 1/3 the price of finland when you visit bicester village.
True, brands cost waaaaay too much here... probably HH's webshop lists Offshore racing jacket at 450, exactly the same as Scandinavian outdoor shop in Finland. Care to check the price when you next visit Bicester village? Relly, I'm in desparate need of new cold weather gear.
riku2 wrote:Dyson vacuum cleaner: 160e from argos. same model is 380e at verkkokauppa.
verkkokauppa.com is not always the cheapest source. But Dysons do cost too much for my taste too here.
riku2 wrote:There is almost nothing cheaper in Finland than the UK, perhaps electricity and water (especially if you consider you either have to buy bottled water or a water filter in england). But that's about it.
Reindeer meat? Sauna equipment? Skis?
riku2 wrote:And the finnish idea of a sale .. 20% off and they think they're doing you a favour. In the UK 50 or 60% is what makes a good sale.
True. Screaming letters "ALE 20%" makes me giggle :)
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

riku2

Post by riku2 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:32 pm

Tiwaz wrote:What it tells us about air in the prices if cutting half off is where sales start?
It tells us that british stores keep more inventory and at sale time have to sell off their products perhaps even at a loss.
Or that they can buy in such bulk that they can negotiate a huge discount from the manufacturer.

When argos was selling those dyson vacuums at half price (160e) they probably bought a few thousand from dyson. Stockman is probably buying fifty or a hundred at a time and probably gets no discount at all. This is why you pay 400e for a dyson in finland.
With such a small market and so little inventory to clear, you do not get end of line sales in Finland. One small branch of Richer sounds could probably clear all end of line AV gear for the whole of Finland.

And i'm sure finnish pharmacies could sell a pack of 10 ibuprofen at 40cents instead of 4e, but they use the "air" in the price to pay for the large amount of highly qualified staff they have prowling the aisles. No competition (neither from supermarkets or even other pharmacies since chain pharmacies are not allowed in finland apart from the University Pharmacy) means high prices. (with this someone is bound to chip in that the general public must be protected from buying too much aspirin or even strepsils, although at finnish prices I think they would have to be quite rich to overdose in the first place, so the poor are automatically protected).

riku2

Post by riku2 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:40 pm

Upphew wrote: Reindeer meat? Sauna equipment? Skis?
yes, you have a good point here. I have bought Iittala glasses for only a couple of euros each from their factory shop, including some mid-colour type (when they change the colour of the glass and the machine is switching from one colour to the next). They were a steal.

One UK newspaper wrote that you could finance the flight of a trip to Helsinki just on buying finnish tableware, since in the UK it's seen as very stylish with high prices to match (just like dyson and clarks is seen in Finland).

But the original poster is a foreigner coming to finland, so the thought of cheap reindeer meat or sauna buckets is hardly going to be a big attraction. I have taken some jars of cloudberry jam from finland to the uk though, and return with roses lemon and lime marmalade.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:46 pm

riku2 wrote:yes, you have a good point here. I have bought Iittala glasses for only a couple of euros each from their factory shop, including some mid-colour type (when they change the colour of the glass and the machine is switching from one colour to the next). They were a steal.

One UK newspaper wrote that you could finance the flight of a trip to Helsinki just on buying finnish tableware, since in the UK it's seen as very stylish with high prices to match (just like dyson and clarks is seen in Finland).

But the original poster is a foreigner coming to finland, so the thought of cheap reindeer meat or sauna buckets is hardly going to be a big attraction. I have taken some jars of cloudberry jam from finland to the uk though, and return with roses lemon and lime marmalade.
True, true... you just had so good list that it demanded a reply :)
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:28 pm

Don't forget the peanutbutter
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Rick1

Post by Rick1 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:57 pm

Tiwaz wrote:Reality is, that if Finnish shops started selling at same prices as British ones, they would go bankrupt.

As for sale... Mmm. What it tells us about air in the prices if cutting half off is where sales start?
Little bit contradiction. Also not true, if the owner of Tokmanni (cheaper shop) is able to buy a few appartments in Helsinki for a couple of millions I do not think that cutting the prices will make them go bankrupt (more bad business organisation will do). Also the K-markets owners were among the best earners years ago and have nice parties.
Profit of Kesko doubled last quarter so there is a lot profit made on the products.

It is just amazing how Finns swallow all that !"#¤% and still ; if there is a problem; lets tax it even more. Lidl is doing every month better even with their big investments here so there are some people who think competion might be ok.

But then again Finns know best

DaveKirk

Post by DaveKirk » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:05 am

Hey, thanks everyone for replying!
Rosilla wrote:well, as it turns out Stockmann's has one on sale right now for 199 Euros down from 249 Euros(reg price) so if thats not too costly David maybe that would be an option... they have them in stock now and they do deliver them also for an extra 40 Euros, but it is small enough that you can take it by metro I'm sure:) and sice it is new you would have the manufactures warrenty on it and Stockmanns is a very reputable company so it sounds like a safe buy to me...

Edit: if it is too much Im sure you can find one cheeper, just might take abit more legwork...
Oh don't worry about looking into one from o'er yonder, if worse came to worse I could get one back in Ireland easily enough and then I wouldn't need a converter.

I had a browse in Stockmann's and haven't seen it, but I'll take another look and ask around!
Helsinki, here I come!

Mook

Post by Mook » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:53 am

Upphew wrote:Reindeer meat?
I wouldn't even count on that. Finland isn't the only place that has reindeer..
---
Image http://blog.enogastronomist.com | http://blog.enogastronomisti.com

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:18 am

Rick1 wrote:[
Little bit contradiction. Also not true, if the owner of Tokmanni (cheaper shop) is able to buy a few appartments in Helsinki for a couple of millions I do not think that cutting the prices will make them go bankrupt (more bad business organisation will do). Also the K-markets owners were among the best earners years ago and have nice parties.
Profit of Kesko doubled last quarter so there is a lot profit made on the products.
Of course there is profit to be made! Nobody runs a business without making profit.
Are owners of British store chains poor then?
It is just amazing how Finns swallow all that !"#¤% and still ; if there is a problem; lets tax it even more. Lidl is doing every month better even with their big investments here so there are some people who think competion might be ok.
Big investments and big chain backing it up to pay for the losses.
riku2 wrote: It tells us that british stores keep more inventory and at sale time have to sell off their products perhaps even at a loss.
Or that they can buy in such bulk that they can negotiate a huge discount from the manufacturer.

When argos was selling those dyson vacuums at half price (160e) they probably bought a few thousand from dyson. Stockman is probably buying fifty or a hundred at a time and probably gets no discount at all. This is why you pay 400e for a dyson in finland.
With such a small market and so little inventory to clear, you do not get end of line sales in Finland. One small branch of Richer sounds could probably clear all end of line AV gear for the whole of Finland.
There you go. Think for a while and you get answer to prices.

Now, how about answering this question... Why Stockman does not buy as big loads of dyson vacuums as Argos?
And i'm sure finnish pharmacies could sell a pack of 10 ibuprofen at 40cents instead of 4e, but they use the "air" in the price to pay for the large amount of highly qualified staff they have prowling the aisles. No competition (neither from supermarkets or even other pharmacies since chain pharmacies are not allowed in finland apart from the University Pharmacy) means high prices. (with this someone is bound to chip in that the general public must be protected from buying too much aspirin or even strepsils, although at finnish prices I think they would have to be quite rich to overdose in the first place, so the poor are automatically protected).
And our medical safety is extremely high in the end.
Let's again ask something...

If you have so often aches which are bad enough to require medication... Why you insist on doing self medication with crap which is sold off the shelf in British supermarket instead of going to doctor and figuring out what is wrong with you?
Having pains often enough and serious enough to warrant need to get cheap painkillers from supermarket hints that there is something wrong in you, pain is a warning from your body.

We have mainly problem of our painkillers passing their "Use by"-date as opposed to them running out.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:18 am

Mook wrote:
Upphew wrote:Reindeer meat?
I wouldn't even count on that. Finland isn't the only place that has reindeer..
Russia exports reindeer meat to Finland...
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

riku2

Post by riku2 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:03 pm

Tiwaz wrote:
Now, how about answering this question... Why Stockman does not buy as big loads of dyson vacuums as Argos?
Well probably because finland is several years behind in volume sales of any high value consumer electronics. Plasma tv's started out really expensive (4000e) and then dropped to well under 1000e. Finland was several years behind UK in this happening. The same with blu-ray players. The same with blu-ray disks. The same with ultrasonic cleaners (my dentist was in shock when i said i had one at home which I bought from the UK).

And the same with dyson. Finns don't have the disposable income to buy them, so there is almost no word of mouth on how good they are. Finns are happy to carry on paying for vacuum cleaner bags again and again. Give it another ten years and every finn will know someone who's got one.

Mook

Post by Mook » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:43 pm

Tiwaz wrote: If you have so often aches which are bad enough to require medication... Why you insist on doing self medication with crap which is sold off the shelf in British supermarket instead of going to doctor and figuring out what is wrong with you?
So how come Finns are off work for a week every time they so much as sneeze?

The crap you get off the shelf in British supermarkets is the same crap that in Finland needs
- a 4 hours in terveyskeskus
- to see a doctor who looks at you for 20 seconds
- before writing a sick note and a prescription for ibruprofen and duact

yeah. lots of added value there from Finnish healthcare.
---
Image http://blog.enogastronomist.com | http://blog.enogastronomisti.com

Rosilla

Post by Rosilla » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:49 am

DaveKirk wrote:Hey, thanks everyone for replying!

I had a browse in Stockmann's and haven't seen it, but I'll take another look and ask around!
A friend of mine in Helsinki called the main number and someone said they did have them in stock, so Im sure if you ask they will be able to help you;)
Image Image