Private health insurance in finland

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
betelgeuse

Re: Private health insurance in finland

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:17 pm

obakesan wrote: However I would not like to have my finances ruined by an unexpected health crisis (such as perhaps being hit by a car walking around town, or slipping and falling on some ice or ...) and so I'd like to try to understand the situation so that I can make decisions in the light of facts.
The fees will never ruin you. They are capped for most payment types (total over all) at 691 euros / per year in Joensuu. In addition a daily fee at a hospital can be charged (again one that would not financially ruin you).

http://www.joensuu.fi/maksukatto

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

obakesan

Post by obakesan » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:45 pm

betelgeuse wrote: The fees will never ruin you. They are capped for most payment types (total over all) at 691 euros / per year in Joensuu. In addition a daily fee at a hospital can be charged (again one that would not financially ruin you).
thanks ... I even went out to the hospital to ask (both of them) and was basically told nothing (even though they seemed to speak english quite well) other than to say they don't know.

For interest the ExPat cover I've picked is not trivially priced ... its AU$320 per month PLUS I have a co-pay of AU$1600 in every month before they begin to reimburse me for charges. So essentially it would seem that (based on what you've said) I'll actually almost never need that.

When my wife was hospitalised (and passed away there) on a trip home (from Australia) I was initially told (after I'd got home) that there was a bill of some 20,000 euro which needed to be paid, however in discussion with the hospital staff they decided to reclassify her as "returning home" .. I guess this experience really drove home to me that if I'm here I need to be careful about these things.

So is it correct to say (so that I can understand correctly) that Kela is distinct (separate) from the Town Hospital?

Thanks again for your answer ...

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:21 pm

obakesan wrote: So is it correct to say (so that I can understand correctly) that Kela is distinct (separate) from the Town Hospital?
Yes.

Rip

Post by Rip » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:08 am

obakesan wrote: When my wife was hospitalised (and passed away there) on a trip home (from Australia) I was initially told (after I'd got home) that there was a bill of some 20,000 euro which needed to be paid, however in discussion with the hospital staff they decided to reclassify her as "returning home" .. I guess this experience really drove home to me that if I'm here I need to be careful about these things.
If you're not in the national health insurance system (or have a relevant reciprocal agreement with your home country/country of residence) there is basically no cap and you can be charged the actual costs. Finnish citizens not living here are probably bit on a grey area. Not in the KELA system, but on the other hand are free to officially move here any time they wish.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:29 pm

Rip wrote:Finnish citizens not living here are probably bit on a grey area. Not in the KELA system, but on the other hand are free to officially move here any time they wish.
But they also have to record their move in the population information system. Usually it's pretty easy to see from the facts whether they are actually intending to move (living in a hotel, having return tickets, doing the official paperwork etc).

obakesan

Post by obakesan » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:42 pm

Rip wrote: If you're not in the national health insurance system (or have a relevant reciprocal agreement with your home country/country of residence) there is basically no cap and you can be charged the actual costs. ...
but as an Australian I do come from a country which we have a reciprocal agreement with ... at least that's how I understand it.

but I'm keen to understand the details to see if I do or do not need this health cover

obakesan

Post by obakesan » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:54 pm

betelgeuse wrote:...But they also have to record their move in the population information system. Usually it's pretty easy to see from the facts whether they are actually intending to move (living in a hotel, having return tickets, doing the official paperwork etc).
indeed ... and as I live in the apartment in Joensuu that I own one can make a decent case of my intention to live here. However does this then obviate me from the point:
Australia
Persons who are resident in Australia are entitled to immediate medical treatment while staying temporarily in Finland.
What determines if am I staying temporarily or permanently? The questions I answered at the Maistraatti?

harryc

Post by harryc » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:07 pm

Just curious:

What do the 'authorities' say about your questions?

Have you made inquiries?

I find that - often -people working in these various places can be quite helpful - and actually give a lot of good advice for the 'citizen/resident.'

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:29 pm

obakesan wrote:What determines if am I staying temporarily or permanently? The questions I answered at the Maistraatti?
It's recorded in the population information system which is updated by Maistraatti so yes. If you have the permanent bit on, the Australian insurance is probably a waste of money.

Rip

Post by Rip » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:20 pm

obakesan wrote:
Rip wrote: If you're not in the national health insurance system (or have a relevant reciprocal agreement with your home country/country of residence) there is basically no cap and you can be charged the actual costs. ...
but as an Australian I do come from a country which we have a reciprocal agreement with ... at least that's how I understand it.
Yes. I was talking in more general terms (and also possibly this reciprocal has not existed for long. It seems to refer to residents and not citizens and therefore should have applied to your wife as well)

obakesan

Post by obakesan » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:36 pm

harryc wrote:Just curious:

What do the 'authorities' say about your questions?
as I mentioned above I went to both hospitals and they weren't sure ...

obakesan

Post by obakesan » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:38 pm

hi
Rip wrote: Yes. I was talking in more general terms
*nods* understood ... this of course can't be "legal advice" ...
(and also possibly this reciprocal has not existed for long....
well at least since 2009 when I was in hospital with the appendix issue mentioned