How does Finland looks like in eyes of immigrants?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Lamauttaja

Post by Lamauttaja » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:55 pm

Hi everybody, I was just reading the news, and this come in front of my eyes:
http://www.hs.fi/kotimaa/Ulkosuomalaise ... 5554423622
And i'm thinking what do you think about Finland before you come here? Or how do it look's like nowdays?
are finnish people friendly or something else? Do you think Finland as a racist country,
Or have you ever spotted racism in here?

Thank's for your answers, i really want to hear you opinnons and experiences :)

(And i havent got any clue is this in right place, please move it if necessary. Finland forum just look's like a only place in the internet, where i can speak to Finnish immigrants, and there is no place to put these kind of texts...)

There is news for english language: http://www.yle.fi/uutiset/news/2012/01/ ... 14211.html
Last edited by Lamauttaja on Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Lamauttaja

Re: How does Finland looks like in eyes of immigrants?

Post by Lamauttaja » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:41 am

Cory wrote:What is your definition of an immigrant?
Thank you that wery friendly and positive answer, it is nice to feel as a welcome in this forum.

I am from that kind of areas, where is no immigrants at all. In my schooltime (grade school 1-9grades) we haven't got any immigrants in my whole shcool, and in vocational school no one of them was in my class. I don't even have spoken english much, only a 2-3 times in my life (and that's why there could be much of misspellings, try to hang on :D). so i do not have much experiences of immigrants.

This year looks like pretty bad for Immigrants.
In finland, there are lot of people who haven't been with immigrants and these are wery easy to manipulate and they are weak for that propaganda against immigrants. I'll say, that the finnish government did a big mistakes for taking too much fugitives in last spring, and that is one reason of 'jytky'. I don't know a much of these things, and these are just my opinnons, but i do not know, how to tell peoples that the immigrants are same people as we, most of them are from developed coutries and these who aren't, we need to help them to live in here and get some job/school place. I think as a western, people agree more easily than cases when immigrant are from africa etc.

And im sure, in some jobs are lot of racism, but sometimes it's just that some people are not nice for new ones in work.
Somewhere i have read; "Finnish people are not racists, they evenhandenly hate all, even them own citizen". I have read, that in Finland there are wery hard to have a job. Is there some limit, that you can live down there before get a job? Do you get a social security without job or a school?

Thanks for answers allready, just tell your own experiences in finland bravely, im more than excited to hear you :D
Last edited by Lamauttaja on Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lamauttaja

Post by Lamauttaja » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:44 am

'It would be nice if you could stick around to answer questions of immigrants honestly'
yes, im doing that, but i do not know a much of moving in finland and these paperwork and stuff... But i answer what i can :)
Last edited by Lamauttaja on Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lamauttaja

Post by Lamauttaja » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:46 am

And please tell how can i remote comments :)
i always push the Quote button when i want to edit...
Last edited by Lamauttaja on Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lamauttaja

Post by Lamauttaja » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:58 am

ajdias

Post by ajdias » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:31 am

Lamauttaja wrote:Hi everybody, I was just reading the news, and this come in front of my eyes:
hs.fi/kotimaa/Ulkosuomalaise ... 5554423622
And i'm thinking what do you think about Finland before you come here? Or how do it look's like nowdays?
are finnish people friendly or something else? Do you think Finland as a racist country,
Or have you ever spotted racism in here?
Yes, finnish people are friendly. Educated and polite, too. Lovely people.
And there are racists and people with prejudices, too.
Nowadays you can spot them easily because they feel more free to express themselves. That is not necessarily a bad thing. IMO having to suppress your feelings and ideas in the name of "common decency" and political correctness only makes one more bitter and negative towards immigrants and/or refugees... The other side of the coin is that plenty of people go along with those statements and many believe that Finland's problems steam from the generous payments for refugees (yes, it is a problem) or for bailing out Greece and other EU countries.

The Hs poll you quote (english version: http://www.yle.fi/uutiset/news/2012/01/ ... 14211.html ) is not necessarily reliable because it's self reported. People living abroad are more sensitive to the image of their own country in local media, and usually feel the need to defend the image of their country. You can imagine that most of them have a very open view of the world and immigration, since they are immigrants themselves, ans thus feel themselves a bit of pain when nationalists and more extreme views are given a spotlight in the international media or are seen as representing their country.

Lamauttaja wrote:And please tell how can i remote comments :)
You can only delete the last post on the discussion. Thus I just made it impossible for you to delete the previous comment. :D

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:45 pm

ajdias wrote:The Hs poll you quote (english version: http://www.yle.fi/uutiset/news/2012/01/ ... 14211.html ) is not necessarily reliable because it's self reported. People living abroad are more sensitive to the image of their own country in local media, and usually feel the need to defend the image of their country. You can imagine that most of them have a very open view of the world and immigration, since they are immigrants themselves, ans thus feel themselves a bit of pain when nationalists and more extreme views are given a spotlight in the international media or are seen as representing their country.
First HS makes brouhahah how racism is rampant here, then HS polls people who get their news from HS? I'd say in this case HS got the results they wanted, nothing more, nothing less.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

Lamauttaja

Post by Lamauttaja » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:59 pm

ajdias wrote:The Hs poll you quote (english version: http://www.yle.fi/uutiset/news/2012/01/ ... 14211.html ) is not necessarily reliable because it's self reported.
Thanks for answer :)

yes, i know that everyone have they own opinnons of this, and of course media pics up what they want or what look like good in the newspaper And that is the reason, why i wrote this text, i want to hear opinnons of many people, themselfs.

Racism is always a problem, but i think it is wery hard to stop it politically. There are lot of people, who tried to turn people against "perussuomalaiset"-party In government and that is not the right way. Not everyone of "persut" are racist.
But i can tell some of them are it, and that is not acceptable.

Pretty wierd, that there can't remove texts.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:07 pm

Lamauttaja wrote:yes, i know that everyone have they own opinnons of this, and of course media pics up what they want or what look like good in the newspaper And that is the reason, why i wrote this text, i want to hear opinnons of many people, themselfs.

Racism is always a problem, but i think it is wery hard to stop it politically. There are lot of people, who tried to turn people against "perussuomalaiset"-party In government and that is not the right way. Not everyone of "persut" are racist.
But i can tell some of them are it, and that is not acceptable.
Some of Finns are racist thus I think that some of the MPs should be too. Just like some of them should be ecohippies and others christian, etc. Hard, nasty things won't go away by shooing them. Things that people criticizing immigration (many of who are not racist per se) use as ammunition won't change or cease to exist by ignoring them. Money and electricity must be made somewhere, it doesn't just pop out of the wall.
Lamauttaja wrote:Pretty wierd, that there can't remove texts.
Not weird, but logical, imho. If you called me stupid w4#73r and I replied that above my post you see how stupid troll writes, after you removed your post I would call someone troll that maybe had nothing to do with our argument.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

Kutittaa

Post by Kutittaa » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:39 pm

Nothing wrong with Finns at all.

Given the horrid, slack behaviour of many people who come into this country only to help suck it dry, I can imagine the attitude of some Finns.
Same thing is happening in Australia/the world over because some people just don't want to pull their own weight. I outright oppose this sort of lazy behaviour.

Whilst not all immigrants are bad, there are definitely enough 'eyes' on the potato to make said potato look ugly.
One just has to make sure that they don't label everyone bad. Finns and foreigners alike.

What's worse:

Those who are causing trouble?
Or those who are complaining about trouble?

Those who claim that they are being affected by racism will complain about it and make it out to be a big deal. Thus everyone knows 'negative feedback' is a lot louder than 'positive feedback'.
To everyone else it just looks like a boring mess of 'who said what'.

Racism is dead... no one cares about colour/location/etc. people only care about HOW MUCH YOU TAKE AND HOW MUCH YOU GIVE.
People always love to mistake this for racism, and enjoy throwing up the racism card the moment they can.
I̶f I can find any way to insult someone, believe me I will.

Lamauttaja

Post by Lamauttaja » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:09 am

Kutittaa wrote:
Racism is dead... no one cares about colour/location/etc. people only care about HOW MUCH YOU TAKE AND HOW MUCH YOU GIVE.
People always love to mistake this for racism, and enjoy throwing up the racism card the moment they can.
i have to question this, There are still racism. Somewhere it's even that way, that the Black people discriminate against white, but in finland, there are still racism and hate against different cultures. I don't know how things are in helsinki, but in norther part of finland there are lot of villages & towns where racism is part of life. I'd born that kind of area.

In my home village there was lot hate against immigrants for someones, and usually it was because we doesn't got any immigrant. If we saw these in City near of our home village, some of us inmediately think they was some kind of bad people. I think nowdays people are smarter, and when we have more different people, finnish people saw that immigrants are not so bad as they think about ten years ago. But in north part finnish there are unfortynately still a much of racism. it is not "dead" yet.

(sorry again if there was some misspellings, there was pretty hard sentences. If you don't understand some of these, please ask for these :) )

CH

Post by CH » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:11 pm

Kutittaa wrote: Racism is dead... no one cares about colour/location/etc. people only care about HOW MUCH YOU TAKE AND HOW MUCH YOU GIVE.
Pure BS. Let me guess... you are white? How is a random person just walking on the street going to know how much you give or take... or how much the guy next to you, who happens to be non-white, is giving or taking? Somehow I would guess your experience about racism would be quite different, no matter if you both are employed or not.

I've got a friend who quite often is out and about without her husband (both are Finnish and white) but with her adopted children (non-white) and yes, she gets every now and then obscenites yelled at her (that she is a foreigner loving wh*re and other nice thing for kids to hear). I don't get yelled at, but I'm seldom out with only my daughter so people can easier put one and one together. But that is not racism but just how much we give and take, right?

Lamauttaja

Post by Lamauttaja » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:44 pm

IraniSuomi wrote:You started a very useless and worthless topic.
well, thanks for your opinnon, we all have one.

but i don't have any idea, why you call us jesters? i just want different opinnons, with every immigrant. And i honestly want to hear what they think about finland and finnish. Maybe this topic is useless for you, but there are others who like this.

I hope someone tell me about their experiences and opinnons of these causes. You can have different opinnons than me, but why you come here to tell we are stupid? if we are, then enlighten us with your opinnon. And i don't have any friends who is an immigrant in finland, so i can't know what the immigrants think about Finland. (and that is why i put that topic here)
Last edited by Lamauttaja on Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rob A.

Post by Rob A. » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:30 pm

Lamauttaja wrote:
IraniSuomi wrote:You started a very useless and worthless topic.
well, thanks for your opinnon, we all have one.

but i don't have any idea, why you call us jesters? i just want different opinnons, with every immigrant. And i honestly want to hear what they think about finland and finnish. Maybe this topic is useless for you, but i like this. I hope someone tell me about their experiences and opinnons of these causes. Not that you come here to attack against our opinnons.

Well if you think that i don't have a clue of racism, tell me it for yourself.

Yes...I wouldn't be concerned too much with Iranisuomi....he's still "fighting" some old thread war... :wink:

I'm not an immigrant, but for what it's worth from my three week visit to Finland last June...Helsinki and eastern Finland.... I was very impressed and pleasantly surprised. I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting, but Finland was much nicer than I had expected.

Clean, tidy, well-organized and polite.....not perfect, of course....but pretty darn good. I was also impressed with the quality of construction of even fairly utilitarian buildings...residential and commercial.

I like museums and because I was on vacation I had the time to look at a number of these....very well done....though Europe in general has lots of excellent museums.... One of the most fascinating for me...probably because of my "logical bent", is the Deutsches Museum in Munich.....amazing...but, hey, I digress...that isn't Finland ... :wink:

Lamauttaja

Post by Lamauttaja » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:08 pm

Rob A. wrote:...I'm not an immigrant, but for what it's worth from my three week visit to Finland last June...Helsinki and eastern Finland.... I was very impressed and pleasantly surprised. I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting, but Finland was much nicer than I had expected.
It is always nice to hear positive things in our coutry. Before i just think that finland have a very bad reputation as a racist country. But im not pushing away these Iranisuomi's opinnons and maybe i want to hear more of him/her.
Now when i'm watching for a different cultures and finnish immigrants, try to help them, and i'm trying to think different things that way as they're thinking, why they turn back against me?

I'm not sure, but i think i didn't say anything insulting to iranisuomi... and even i did, i didn't mean to hurt.