Contract or prepaid with a smartphone?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
einafets

Post by einafets » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:01 pm

Hi!
I know there has been lots of threads about phone companies here but I just can't find an answer and my Finnish girlfriend doesn't know anything about it either :lol: The websites are confusing and I don't want to go to every store there is since they'll probably sell me some crap contract.
I've been thinking about buying a new Samsung since my old one is a touchscreen but not a smartphone. I had a prepaid from Saunalahti with it so far. Are there even prepaid cards for smartphones or should I get a contract? Is that even possible as a foreigner? I might also not even live here for 2 years or how long the contract would last. I was looking for a phone on Ebay which I'm interested in or should I buy one here that comes with a contract?
These things are complicated in every country I believe, I had a pretty good deal in Germany but now I'm clueless :D Thanks!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

wolf80

Re: Contract or prepaid with a smartphone?

Post by wolf80 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:39 pm

As far as know there are no prepaid offers with reasonable internet included. Contracts are normally for two years, but if you haven't been here long (like two years) you will be asked to pay a security deposit of around 600 Euro, if you get it at all.

I have the same problem, I would like to have a contract, but just don't have 600 Euro to spare for a security deposit right now, and even if I would not be prepared to pay such a ridiculous deposit. So I'll stay on prepaid, which is very uncomfortable as I have no internet on my smartphone, and it's not working abroad which is particularly bad for me.

riku2

Post by riku2 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:01 pm

The operators in finland are not subsidising the phones like in the UK or Germany. The phones have a price which you can either pay up front and so use it on any network and with any subscription. Or you can pay a higher subscription and less for the phone. But over the two year (normal term) contract, you will normally end up paying what you would have paid if you paid for the phone and subscription separately (since the subscription for contracts which included a discounted phone are much higher than a subscription only deal). Finland is not heavily based on phone+subscription contracts unlike the UK where it's assumed you will want a phone as well, so they don't take out the full cost of the phone if you just take a subscription only contract.

So there is not really anything to consider about subscriptions when choosing the phone. Choose the phone and buy it. Then choose a subscription.

I would hate to live in the UK where your choice of phone can be linked to what networks are offering it and people talk about "O2 launching the latest HTC".

einafets

Post by einafets » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:41 pm

Ok, thanks. The 600€ deposit sound rather awful. Of course I wouldn't have the money for that.

Yeah, in Germany it's more common to get a phone with a contract and a new phone every two years. At the moment I can't even use my prepaid card to send text messages from foreign countries :evil: Maybe I have to go around and ask in the store. But although I have been with O2 for years in Germany it was impossible to get out of the contract when I moved to Finland.

wolf80

Post by wolf80 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:54 pm

einafets wrote:Maybe I have to go around and ask in the store.
If you mean about a contract, problem is they can't tell you anything specific as your case first goes to the companys credit department, which will send you a letter telling you the amount you have to pay.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:00 pm

I just paid off my iphone...err.. 2? from Sonera, I cracked it and got an UK SIM-only deal. I'm just waiting for a few years for it to totally crap out and lets see what offers they'll have. i use mostly internet/skype so I am never using my minutes or texts... (maybe I should get a life)
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

einafets

Post by einafets » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:34 pm

wolf80 wrote:
einafets wrote:Maybe I have to go around and ask in the store.
If you mean about a contract, problem is they can't tell you anything specific as your case first goes to the companys credit department, which will send you a letter telling you the amount you have to pay.
Didn't know that, thanks. In Germany you just get a flyer or something with the different options and you pick the one that's best for you.

einafets

Post by einafets » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:37 pm

Pursuivant wrote:I just paid off my iphone...err.. 2? from Sonera, I cracked it and got an UK SIM-only deal. I'm just waiting for a few years for it to totally crap out and lets see what offers they'll have. i use mostly internet/skype so I am never using my minutes or texts... (maybe I should get a life)
I could do that since it would be easy to get a sim from Germany but it's just not conveniant since I do get calls and write texts :( This all sounds rather unnerving.