Exchanging a Foreign Driver's License for a Finnish One

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
jwesthues

Post by jwesthues » Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:52 am

This was taken from the Police web site regarding exchanging a foreign license (from a country signing the Vienna Convention on road traffic...) for a Finnish license.

"When applying for a driving licence permit, the following must be included:
* 2 photographs (preferably black-and-white)
* driving licence medical certificate (obtained no more than six months earlier)
* a document stating that the applicant has been driving a car in Finland for at least six months
* driving licence issued in a country that has signed the Convention."

Has anyone done this? And if so, what kind of a document suffices for the six month rule? Can it simply be a letter written by oneself?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Kemars

Re: Exchanging a Foreign Driver's License for a Finnish One

Post by Kemars » Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:49 am

jwesthues wrote:This was taken from the Police web site regarding exchanging a foreign license (from a country signing the Vienna Convention on road traffic...) for a Finnish license.

"When applying for a driving licence permit, the following must be included:
* 2 photographs (preferably black-and-white)
* driving licence medical certificate (obtained no more than six months earlier)
* a document stating that the applicant has been driving a car in Finland for at least six months
* driving licence issued in a country that has signed the Convention."

Has anyone done this? And if so, what kind of a document suffices for the six month rule? Can it simply be a letter written by oneself?
I have done it. and it was so easy. You can get all the documents needed at the police station (Helsinki police station - upstairs against the wall toward the doors leading in and out) You may want to bring a friend to make sure you get the proper papers (or if you speak finnish well, just ask someone..)
Just drive around for 6 months with someone that is finnish to get used to all the rules of the road / plus road signs so that you at least have some sense of understanding of what they mean, and your done. No need for winter school driving if you understand not to drive during the winter and take public transportation. ( :wink: ) after the six months, go back with the paperwork + money + 2 pictures + medical check up + and your country of origin drivers licenses (as you have to forfiet this license to them - but you can get it back if you need it)

I am from the US, so we are part of that "convention" agreement or something or other.... and I paid something like 200 or was it 150 Old mummi markkas...

In return, I got a EU drivers license. kinda kewl. 8)
hope this helps.
How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

peteh

driving in finland

Post by peteh » Sat Aug 23, 2003 1:22 am

no worries - i had a british driving license, just went to the police station and exchanged - like for like. All my finnish friends are rather pee...d off, as I now have a BCD grade, I passed my test in the UK over 15 yrs ago, no need for winter test or anything great !!!!!!!!!!

Juha H.

Post by Juha H. » Fri Aug 29, 2003 8:49 pm

Peteh, is it still acceptable in England to show by hand where you are turning? If you were turning right, you raised the right arm, of course, but if you turned left, you raised, believe or not, again your right arm, but made circles with it inside your car.

At least this rule was still in force about 25 years ago, when I lived in England.

tjawatts

Post by tjawatts » Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:44 pm

I think that is what you would do on the way home/to the garage if your indicators stopped working.

Not so funny to raise the right hand for a left turn, a bit hard to reach across and put your left arm out the passenger window!! I think you make the circles outside the window.

Tony

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:44 pm

I'm still driving with my Dutch license.
No prob... Never changed it.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sat Aug 30, 2003 3:42 am

No- turn left you put the arm out, turn right you put the hand up, to break, you put the hand down... atleast to my 1948 manual...
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

AndyJ

Post by AndyJ » Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:13 am

No need for anyone with a licence from another EU country to change to a Finnish licence. Same for my partner when we were in UK, she kept her Finnish one. Just because you leave your home country is no reason to be ashamed of being identified as coming from it...or is it? :lol:

And Hank and Tony are right. The sign for turning left is to circle your right hand outside the right window. It kind of indicates to the guy behind to come past. But obviously 99.9% of cars in the UK have indicator lights to do the job for you...perhaps fewer in Finland have them judging by some of the antiques and (former) Eastern Bloc wonders you see on the road here! Hehe
Controversy? You've come to the right place!

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:25 am

AndyJ wrote:The sign for turning left is to circle your right hand outside the right window.
How the hell can you accomplish that if you drive alone? Even in the mini the right seat is some 70-80 cm wide and I can't stretch my arms *that* far. Isn't it a traffic hazard trying to reach for the right window?

:ochesey:
Cheers, Hank W.

Frypan

Post by Frypan » Sun Aug 31, 2003 6:49 pm

I got my licence no problem - although rarely drove. I had a friend at work write and sign a freeform letter saying I had driven their car.

The weird thing is, they take your foreign licence and keep it at the police station. When you leave Finland, you have to give your licence back to the police and they return the foreign one.

AndyJ

Post by AndyJ » Sun Aug 31, 2003 7:03 pm

Hank W. wrote:
AndyJ wrote:The sign for turning left is to circle your right hand outside the right window.
How the hell can you accomplish that if you drive alone? Even in the mini the right seat is some 70-80 cm wide and I can't stretch my arms *that* far. Isn't it a traffic hazard trying to reach for the right window?

:ochesey:
Err Hank, in England you sit in the right hand seat to drive!!!!!!

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sun Aug 31, 2003 8:53 pm

We are in Finland. You better not drive on the wrong side of the road :mrgreen:
Cheers, Hank W.

AndyJ

Post by AndyJ » Mon Sep 01, 2003 9:52 am

Hank W. wrote:We are in Finland. You better not drive on the wrong side of the road :mrgreen:
As if I could forget where we are! I guess we have kind of lost the thread of the original post which was:
Juha H. wrote:Peteh, is it still acceptable in England to show by hand where you are turning? If you were turning right, you raised the right arm, of course, but if you turned left, you raised, believe or not, again your right arm, but made circles with it inside your car.

At least this rule was still in force about 25 years ago, when I lived in England.
Now I'll go take my medication.

Juha H.

Post by Juha H. » Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:46 pm

Juha H. wrote:Peteh, is it still acceptable in England to show by hand where you are turning? If you were turning right, you raised the right arm, of course, but if you turned left, you raised, believe or not, again your right arm, but made circles with it inside your car.

Sorry, I must have been a little confused myself. In England you drive on the left-hand side of the road, but sit on the right-hand side of the car, so you can't make circles with your right hand INSIDE the car. You have to make them OUTSIDE, but if you lived in Finland and...

Anyone else coming to a circus?

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:10 pm

I have a 1946 driver's ed book someplace. Time to scan :D
Cheers, Hank W.