80 Euro Fine

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
hmu18

80 Euro Fine

Post by hmu18 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:33 pm

So I'm an exchange student and I was taking the train from Hämeenlinna to Helsinki. I didn't have time to buy my ticket before the train came (the station doesn't have very many ticket sale machines and the office is slow) so I got on the train with the intention to buy my ticket there. I fell asleep (dumb, I know), missed the conductor, and when the inspectors came they woke me up and refused to let me buy a ticket, instead issuing me an 80 euro fine.
I gave them my student visa as ID, but the birthdate is wrong. The penalty form he gave me has my full name, my incorrect birthday, and nothing else. I went to the office to try to explain to the worker there what happened, and she did not waive the fee. However, I have absolutely no income here and only receive about 80 euros a month. She gave me an extra month to pay the fine, but I also leave the country at the end of June (so in 4 months). I'm wondering if the fee is worth paying. Is this the kind of thing they'll be able to track down, or force me to pay after I've left the country?

80 Euro Fine

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

rinso

Re: 80 Euro Fine

Post by rinso » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:18 pm

Within the EU there are systems to collect fines in other countries. I don't know if they include tickets from VR.
Also unpaid fines might end up on a list at the passport control.
my student visa as ID, but the birthdate is wrong
This could be considered as fraud.

Better safe than sorry, pay the fine.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:47 am

roger_roger wrote:These sending bills, sending warnings, bill collector's biil, bill collector's legal threat and asking date in court will take 3-4 years in total for court to say you have to pay fine, in that time you'll obviously be earning good money and the total fine would be 100 (in case you loose the case and you have to pay).
Inspection fees don't need court to be subjected to recovery proceedings.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

DMC

Post by DMC » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:16 am

rinso wrote:Within the EU there are systems to collect fines in other countries. I don't know if they include tickets from VR.
Do these systems really exist/work or are they nothing more than rumour? If so, what fines are collected this way? Does anyone have personal experience of a fine in one country being collected in another? I know of 2 traffic tickets issued in Estonia (1 speeding for a UK-resident Brit and 1 parking for a Finland resident Finn) not being followed up at all. Based on that I doubt a VR ticket would be chased across international borders. (Not that I would advocate ignoring it, just curious to know the true situation).

Rip

Post by Rip » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:46 am

Most likely there will be no adverse consequences, though if somebody would suggest selling those old tickets even for one cent for each euro to a some foreign collecting agency, I'd very much approve.

rinso

Post by rinso » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:55 am

DMC wrote:
rinso wrote:Within the EU there are systems to collect fines in other countries. I don't know if they include tickets from VR.
Do these systems really exist/work or are they nothing more than rumour? If so, what fines are collected this way? Does anyone have personal experience of a fine in one country being collected in another? I know of 2 traffic tickets issued in Estonia (1 speeding for a UK-resident Brit and 1 parking for a Finland resident Finn) not being followed up at all. Based on that I doubt a VR ticket would be chased across international borders. (Not that I would advocate ignoring it, just curious to know the true situation).
Iirc those regulations are quite recent. The administrative systems might not even be implemented everywhere.
Some bilateral agreements were in place already longer.
though if somebody would suggest selling those old tickets even for one cent for each euro to a some foreign collecting agency,
Isn't Intrum Justitia operating internationally? And they are the pit-bulls of the collecting agencies.

rio

Post by rio » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:09 am

hmu18 wrote:I gave them my student visa as ID, but the birthdate is wrong.
How's that even possible?
roger_roger wrote:Even if you come back, don't live in same address as now.
So.. do a crime and change the address, and everything is cool?

foca

Post by foca » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:40 pm

I wonder how you can survive here on 80 EUR a month. i would not be able even on 100 a day....
But being serious , collection even within EU is a problem. for example for years Italian authorities have been issuing fines for zoning traffic violations in some cities ( one can not drive in certain areas in Florence for example without a residency registration/hotel in the area )- these fines are generally ignored throughout EU (Italy itself has been fined on a number if occasions for zoning regulations). but traffic violations nowadays can be traced and collected , but mostly depending on the country where the violation happened. I do not think that VR fine will be collected, but it us worth paying , since (willingly or not) it was a violation.
What do you want from me?????

cors187

Post by cors187 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:29 pm

hmu18 wrote:So I'm an exchange student and I was taking the train from Hämeenlinna to Helsinki. I didn't have time to buy my ticket before the train came (the station doesn't have very many ticket sale machines and the office is slow) so I got on the train with the intention to buy my ticket there. I fell asleep (dumb, I know), missed the conductor, and when the inspectors came they woke me up and refused to let me buy a ticket, instead issuing me an 80 euro fine.
I gave them my student visa as ID, but the birthdate is wrong. The penalty form he gave me has my full name, my incorrect birthday, and nothing else. I went to the office to try to explain to the worker there what happened, and she did not waive the fee. However, I have absolutely no income here and only receive about 80 euros a month. She gave me an extra month to pay the fine, but I also leave the country at the end of June (so in 4 months). I'm wondering if the fee is worth paying. Is this the kind of thing they'll be able to track down, or force me to pay after I've left the country?
1 worker i had who has his home details at my home resident , then a fine comes.
After a while they created an extra cost in the paperwork, he paid some of the amount i think.
>anyway i am also his employer so now the fine info comes to the company he was last registered in, i cant truly understand the exact Finnish directions , but in anycase the fines are filtering down into the workers life. I dont think there is a reason to not pay one of these auto fines. You will probably regret not paying it at a later date.

rinso

Post by rinso » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:54 pm

but in anycase the fines are filtering down into the workers life.
Yes, if you're in the computer in Finland, they can find you anywhere.

Post by 007 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:11 pm

How about a tourist with no ID card. In that case, the tourist can provide wrong information about his/her name & address. Tourist = anyone who can hide Finnish accent.

This has been bugging me for a while.

I know a case where a conductor threw a passenger out of a long distance train because the passenger was unavailable to pay for a ticket with a card. How about in metro?
“Go where you are celebrated – not tolerated."
"Aina, kun opit uuden sanan, opettele samalla sen monikko!"

cors187

Post by cors187 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:37 pm

If your gutsy enough , take no ID with you and try to avoid the conclusion from inspection,the conclusion as its been told to me is poliisi will create the correct contact info.

cors187

Post by cors187 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:43 pm

I know a case where a conductor threw a passenger out of a long distance train because the passenger was unavailable to pay for a ticket with a card.
I traveled to Helsinki by train on friday and for the lack of my train experience found out that visa electron is not a valid payment method.The ticket seller just lowered his voice and said , "ok,next time you pay on the station platform , the machines accept electron".

mmkhi

Post by mmkhi » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:55 pm

hmu18 wrote:...She gave me an extra month to pay the fine,...
Do not pay, talk to her again if needed but don't let her know your correct birthday.

lolalo

Post by lolalo » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:15 pm

Hi! I got a fine 2 days ago (my card didn't work at the bus machine and I completely forgot to pass it again when entering the metro... The inspectors came and put a fine. I did tell her what happened but I had the penalty anyways... she was right, it was my responsability but it was just a mistake! I normally pay!!). I don't have a finnish ID yet and gave her my national one. She "created" an ID based on my date of birth and put my second surname as if it was my first name. I'm unemployed (currently looking for a job here) and I can't afford paying the 80€ fine... I went to the office and told them what happened and they told me to go penalty office but I didn't dare going (in case they asked me for my ID and put the fine correctly). Does anybody know what happens if I don't pay the fine? :? She told me I had a week to pay but didn't tell me anything about what happens afterwards...
I'd really appreciate if you could help me please.
Thank you.