Sahres in a company and unemployment

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Honest

Post by Honest » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:26 pm

What happens if a person who has a normal job but also some shares in a company becomes unemployed?

How union/kela pays the unemployment benefit? Let's say he'll get a profit of 10000 or 7000 after tax from his shares but no other income. How his unemployment benefit will be calculated?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rip

Re: Sahres in a company and unemployment

Post by Rip » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:24 pm

I assume here that this is not a case where the employed person would be considered an entrepreneur.

Neither the basic unemployment allowance and the one tied to your previous wage (ansiosidonnainen) are means tested - your possible capital income has no effect on the amount. For the Labor market subsidy the situation is different.

Honest

Post by Honest » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:30 pm

Rip wrote:I assume here that this is not a case where the employed person would be considered an entrepreneur.

Neither the basic unemployment allowance and the one tied to your previous wage (ansiosidonnainen) are means tested - your possible capital income has no effect on the amount. For the Labor market subsidy the situation is different.

What if the person is considered entrepreneur? (If he had been paying YEL)?

rinso

Post by rinso » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:11 pm

What happens if a person who has a normal job but also some shares in a company becomes unemployed?
It depends on the amount of shares. If he owns more than 15% of them (iirc) he's considered an entrepreneur.
I don't know if there is also a limit for the amount of profit from shares.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:13 pm

Honest wrote:
Rip wrote:I assume here that this is not a case where the employed person would be considered an entrepreneur.

What if the person is considered entrepreneur? (If he had been paying YEL)?
Assumption: the shares are from the company the person worked in. If so, the person is not considered unemployed as long as the company is active (in VAT or Withholding register). Even if it's not active, assets in the balance sheet will delay the beginning of benefits.
rinso wrote:
It depends on the amount of shares. If he owns more than 15% of them (iirc) he's considered an entrepreneur.
I don't know if there is also a limit for the amount of profit from shares.
The limit is 15% in the case the person is in a leading position. Otherwise the limit is higher.

https://ytk.fi/ansioturvan-abc/yrittaja ... n-kannalta

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:48 pm

rinso wrote: It depends on the amount of shares. If he owns more than 15% of them (iirc) he's considered an entrepreneur.
If the OP is paying into YEL, then (iirc) they would have more than 30% of the shares.

http://en.ytk.fi/benefits-abc/entrepren ... t-security

In unemployment security, you are considered an entrepreneur firstly always when you are required to take an insurance for your full time work either under the entrepreneurs’ pension legislation (YEL) or farmers’ pension legislation (MYEL). In this case your formal position or holdings in the employing company do not matter.
There are two unemployment funds for entrepreneurs: SYT and AYT. But contributions are voluntary.