Living in Finland as a foreigner

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Upphew

Re: Living in Finland as a foreigner

Post by Upphew » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:42 pm

Nimi wrote:I am not a muslim neither a Somalian, but before and during my language courses in Finland i did understand that Before Praying Muslims (Not only Somalis) go through a routine washing ritual, cleansing themselves in preparation for prayer. I am so perplexed by your constant ranting and generalization about a set of people (Somalis) here in this thread. Dirty toilets can also be found in the clubs and pubs but we cannot blame it on a particular set of nationals and it is not nice to do so, it is a public area and as such quite difficult to point fingers.

The condition or state of being dirty is not a one way street!
http://www.lansi-savo.fi/uutiset/kotima ... sanpytylle

http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Marsh04

Post by Marsh04 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:16 pm

Nimi wrote:Dirty toilets can also be found in the clubs and pubs but we cannot blame it on a particular set of nationals and it is not nice to do so, it is a public area and as such quite difficult to point fingers.

I was going to point out the same but I thought it was useless to argue with a person who is so paranoid. Finns who are used to see pee, vomit and what else in pubs,bars and the worse in Ruotsilaivat toilets that water on the floor of a toilet shouldn't be a reason to hate black Somalis. And actually it is not the reason it's just an excuse for the racist/low life minority!

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:57 pm

tummansininen wrote:Ok, now I hope we are all finished with these stupid and racist rants about how disgusting certain races, nationalities and religions are. Of the three biggest schools I have attended (all of which had many Muslims) two had a shower stall with spray hose, and one had an actual foot-bathing sink. Perhaps those three schools had half a brain to realise that washing is an integral part of a large proportion of the students' culture and behaviour, and knew it would be stupid to put up signs or complain about people washing in the sink, and thus provided a way for people to wash their feet. It's not the Muslim students' fault that justaguy's school was totally stupid and made no attempt to accommodate their students appropriately.

This thread has turned stupid. OP, come to Finland, forget about the ridiculous arguments over foreigners. You will enjoy your time here and learn so much by experiencing a new culture.
I'd use baby wipes or something like that, instead of splashing around with water in toilet.

justaguy

Post by justaguy » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:45 am

Nimi wrote:I am not a muslim neither a Somalian, but before and during my language courses in Finland i did understand that Before Praying Muslims (Not only Somalis) go through a routine washing ritual, cleansing themselves in preparation for prayer. I am so perplexed by your constant ranting and generalization about a set of people (Somalis) here in this thread. Dirty toilets can also be found in the clubs and pubs but we cannot blame it on a particular set of nationals and it is not nice to do so, it is a public area and as such quite difficult to point fingers.

Good choice of adjective.

1. I don't care about the generalisation. It's still a fact.
2. I don't go to clubs and bars and I don't expect those toilets to be clean either with a bunch of wasted people pissing all over the walls. If anything you just compared the way that Somalis treat public toilets like they are wasted, boozed up people who piss all over walls. To be honest I'd say you're not that far off.
3. Even the streets I have seen are cleaner than the toilets I have begrudgingly walked into after these people have left it.

P.S. No need to mention what race/religion you are as you're free to your opinion here regardless of all that. :wink:

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:53 am

tummansininen wrote:While we're at it, people do not pee in every building corner and in every train station elevator in Australia. Nor do they walk along and spit on the ground everywhere they go.
Oh my god! That was one of the very few things that shocked me the most about life in Finland! Pissing in the street and spitting.. a lot of spitting. Many years so far and I still haven't gotten used to seeing it, though. Hey, maybe I should integrate better in the Finnish culture and start doing it myself :D

Another thing that shocked me in general about Europe was about 12-13 years ago or so when I was watching American TV/movies and noticed that all the people who poop don't wash their arses. I remember asking my German penpal back then about it, and he confirmed. I still remember my reply to him
"So you walk around with small poop pieces in your underwear and, inevitably, pants all day until you shower?!"

Luckily, pillupuhelin ( :lol: at the name) is not uncommon in Finland. Sweet sweet 100% poopless bum.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

justaguy

Post by justaguy » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:55 am

tummansininen wrote:While we're at it, people do not pee in every building corner and in every train station elevator in Australia. Nor do they walk along and spit on the ground everywhere they go. Finns really are disgusting. Not even kidding here, I am continually disgusted by the way that Finns behave in public.
Plenty of people piss against trees etc. in Australia but obviously they go about doing it far enough away from people so that others can not either see them, or smell what they did afterwards. I've seen just as many immigrants (read asylum seekers) in this country pissing up against walls in parks as I have seen Finns doing it. Just 3 days ago I saw an African guy pissing up against the freaking Musiikkitalo! I mean sheesh there was a FREE toilet within earshot! I'd say it's pretty even, but you're welcome to argue. Either way, Australia isn't all that clean either. I guess you haven't been to Sydney's metro lately. Also wtf are you talking about, everyone in Australia spits!
tummansininen wrote:And every restaurant toilet in Helsinki is seriously gross. I have pay a euro for using a revolting and grimy shoebox where I don't dare to touch the door? What sort of foul stupidity is this? Not even places like Sokos can keep them clean.
Sorry what 'restaurant' do you have to pay 1 euro to use the WC? Pretty sure you mean fast food joint, those are the only places that charge to use the toilet. Let's call a spade, a spade please.
tummansininen wrote: It's not the Muslim students' fault that justaguy's school was totally stupid and made no attempt to accommodate their students appropriately.
Why should my school (read Finns/Finland) have to accommodate these people and their filthy archaic traditions? Why can't they bring their own foot-basins or whatever to wash their own feet in, instead of lowering hygiene standards for ALL of us? I was surprised to think that they are even happy to wash their feet in the same place that they wash their hands given that their own religion states how filthy their feet are. But then I guess I realised that many of them don't even flush the toilet so what would they care/know about hygiene.
tummansininen wrote:OP, come to Finland, forget about the ridiculous arguments over foreigners. You will enjoy your time here and learn so much by experiencing a new culture.
Yeah hopefully he won't just outright ignore it like all the others eh? :twisted:
Anyway all these ridiculous justifications and excuses for such disgusting behaviour are hilarious. I'm really enjoying all these fallacious strawman retorts. The only way you guys can discredit someone's opinion is to try and compare it to something else? Pathetic.

Infin333

Post by Infin333 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:52 am

A Muslim living in any European country is more safe and less likely to face any discrimination on basis of there skin color or religion than a christian or any other religious group living in any Muslim dominated country .

Marsh04

Post by Marsh04 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:34 am

tummansininen wrote:
justaguy wrote:I've seen just as many immigrants (read asylum seekers)

Why should my school (read Finns/Finland) have to accommodate these people
Let's call a spade a spade indeed, you're nothing but a racist and clearly don't like immigrants. Time to go home perhaps, since you are one?
If you read his other threads it will be obvious that he has psychological and personality issues so better just ignore him at least in this argargument.

Oho

Post by Oho » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:59 am

Infin333 wrote:A Muslim living in any European country is more safe and less likely to face any discrimination on basis of there skin color or religion than a christian or any other religious group living in any Muslim dominated country .
But its not a problem because its in accordance with their cultural tenets and in the ultimately nihilistic view of cultural or rather moral relativism all cultures or moral codes are equal and must be judged against their own standards....

Oho

Post by Oho » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:01 am

justaguy

Post by justaguy » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:08 pm

tummansininen wrote:
justaguy wrote:I've seen just as many immigrants (read asylum seekers)

Why should my school (read Finns/Finland) have to accommodate these people
Let's call a spade a spade indeed, you're nothing but a racist and clearly don't like immigrants. Time to go home perhaps, since you are one?
Of course just because I'm an immigrant that means that none of my opinions are valid! I guess we could say the same for you and every other immigrant in the whole world then if you want to apply that sort of rationale!
Me not being pleased with the filthy and unhygienic behaviour of one cultural group has nothing to do with my overall satisfaction of living and working in this country.

Nice to know that you can't remotely have a debate without resorting to fallacious retorts. :wink:
Marsh04 wrote:If you read his other threads it will be obvious that he has psychological and personality issues so better just ignore him at least in this argargument.
Yes let's just ignore the overwhelming amount of evidence and personal experience on the matter and resort to ad hominem attacks because you're out of valid replies. :wink:

AldenG

Post by AldenG » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:35 pm

justaguy wrote: Nice to know that you can't remotely have a debate without resorting to fallacious retorts. :wink:

Throwing cold water on a phallacious retort, circa 1830
As he persisted, I was obliged to tootle him gently at first and then, seeing no improvement, to trumpet him vigorously with my horn.

Piet

Post by Piet » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:32 pm

I will tell you that it does not matter what colour you are, discrimination because you are not Finnish is always there... even for me... and then to know that Finns are actually most related (genetic wise) to the people from my country.
[start rant]
This o so beautiful country has one big downside, it is filled with a lot (read carefully...) of xenophobic humans that smile and laugh to you very friendly but behind your back will turn devious, jealous, arrogant and treacherous.

Hidden discrimination is everywhere and with the wrong last name it will be virtual impossible to get a well paid job, even when you have the papers for it. In some cases it is so bad that a person with skills no one else has in Finland, will just because of that, not get the job: he is a threat to the one that hires him...

Most employers do not want to hire people when they are not fluently Finnish speakers (see the job adds) ... the only fluent Finnish speaker is someone who was born here or is so good with languages that he will leave this country for a far better paid job elsewhere. The language requirement in job adds is just to make sure that a Finnish one is hired and they will have a valid reason for not hiring you.

But for studying, this country is great, it is (still) free, but as said: don't expect as a foreigner to get a job afterwards unless it is in the supermarket, as a bus driver or in healthcare when properly educated. Finland has 10% jobless and another 10% is working for free with unemployment benefits, another 3% is working as part of their education (that means 23% is not having a normal salary and is on or below poverty-line). Just imagine how these figures are for youngsters...[end rant]

So my advise: get your study finished here and move to Germany, Holland or Canada, so very much more tolerant there.. and sooo much better job opportunities there too.
If I could, I would do the same.. :wink:
If god would give us the source code, we could change the world

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:57 pm

Piet wrote:So my advise: get your study finished here and move to Germany, Holland or Canada, so very much more tolerant there.. and sooo much better job opportunities there too.
Bonus points if you get the job there without good Germany, Dutch, English or French skills.

Kayttaja1

Post by Kayttaja1 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:11 pm

Piet wrote:I will tell you that it does not matter what colour you are, discrimination because you are not Finnish is always there... even for me... and then to know that Finns are actually most related (genetic wise) to the people from my country.
[start rant]
This o so beautiful country has one big downside, it is filled with a lot (read carefully...) of xenophobic humans that smile and laugh to you very friendly but behind your back will turn devious, jealous, arrogant and treacherous.

Hidden discrimination is everywhere and with the wrong last name it will be virtual impossible to get a well paid job, even when you have the papers for it. In some cases it is so bad that a person with skills no one else has in Finland, will just because of that, not get the job: he is a threat to the one that hires him...

Most employers do not want to hire people when they are not fluently Finnish speakers (see the job adds) ... the only fluent Finnish speaker is someone who was born here or is so good with languages that he will leave this country for a far better paid job elsewhere. The language requirement in job adds is just to make sure that a Finnish one is hired and they will have a valid reason for not hiring you.

But for studying, this country is great, it is (still) free, but as said: don't expect as a foreigner to get a job afterwards unless it is in the supermarket, as a bus driver or in healthcare when properly educated. Finland has 10% jobless and another 10% is working for free with unemployment benefits, another 3% is working as part of their education (that means 23% is not having a normal salary and is on or below poverty-line). Just imagine how these figures are for youngsters...[end rant]

So my advise: get your study finished here and move to Germany, Holland or Canada, so very much more tolerant there.. and sooo much better job opportunities there too.
Well sorry if employers tend to hire ones they can understand and employees can understand them. It is not a secret that Finnish language is quite hard, if your English is okayish you are good to go in any English speaking countries. In case your Finnish is same level of okayish, only language teachers can understand you. :roll: