KELA social benefit and citizenship

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
mois_2012

Post by mois_2012 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:58 am

Hi all

I have applied for citizenship some months ago and after my residence permit expired, I got A type residence permit for one year with a part-time job. After I applied for citizenship, I did not have any kind of job for few months (while waiting for applying for new residence permit). Now, I do not earn more than 400 €/month from the part-time job. I have been told that I can get KELA partial benefit. In the citizenship application, there was an option that KELA benefits can be considered as a source of income. However, I have been told by a friend that one guy (He had 4 years of A type permit) was deported when he applied for citizenship after taking social benefits for 2 years (he still had 1 years residence permit at the time of deportation). The unemployment rate in Finland is very high and there are so many refugees in Finland at the moment. So, I am confused about it. Besides, in the citizenship application, there was an option of other source of income of me or my family member (Wealth or income from abroad). I have shown my savings account in this section.

Therefore, my question is: If I take KELA benefit to show that my income is at least 1000 €/month (400 from job+ the rest from Kela), can I still get citizenship? Will it influence me to get a negative decision?

I would appreciate answers from those who have got citizenship (or people who know cases like this from friends who have got citizenship) even after getting social benefits. I would also appreciate thoughtful answers or some cases which have internet links.

BR

M

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: KELA social benefit and citizenship

Post by betelgeuse » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:23 am

mois_2012 wrote: Therefore, my question is: If I take KELA benefit to show that my income is at least 1000 €/month (400 from job+ the rest from Kela), can I still get citizenship? Will it influence me to get a negative decision?
Kela is fine for citizenship purposes. The only requirement is that you can provide a reliable account of your livelihood.

http://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/2 ... 0359#L3P13
mois_2012 wrote:However, I have been told by a friend that one guy (He had 4 years of A type permit) was deported when he applied for citizenship after taking social benefits for 2 years (he still had 1 years residence permit at the time of deportation). The unemployment rate in Finland is very high and there are so many refugees in Finland at the moment.
The catch is that relying on benefits is not fine for residence permit. Job termination is cause for cancellation of residence permit which leads to deportation

http://www.migri.fi/working_in_finland/ ... lationship

"If your employment contract has terminated, you must leave Finland when your right to reside expires or earlier."

http://www.migri.fi/working_in_finland/ ... the_permit

"Your residence permit may be cancelled also if the grounds that you received your residence permit on no longer exist. This may be the case if, for example, your employment has ended and your residence permit was granted on the grounds of employment in Finland."
mois_2012 wrote: I have applied for citizenship some months ago and after my residence permit expired, I got A type residence permit for one year with a part-time job. After I applied for citizenship, I did not have any kind of job for few months (while waiting for applying for new residence permit). Now, I do not earn more than 400 €/month from the part-time job.
Since the part time job gave you a residence permit, you should be fine assuming the 400 € / month was disclosed as part of the application. You can temporarily rely on Kela.

http://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/kaannokset ... 040301.pdf

"When issuing extended permits, the alien’s means of support shall be secure as provided in subsection 2, provided, however, that temporary resort to social assistance or other similar benefit securing the alien’s means of support does not prevent the issue of the permit."

Rip

Post by Rip » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:43 am

Cory wrote: Just an addendum.. Loss of work (after years of being employed) and reliance on Kela does not allow the state to cancel a Permanent Residence permit and force one to exit the country. I believe the links that were given were for A or B permits, right?
Yes, that is correct.

mois_2012

Post by mois_2012 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:54 pm

Thanks all for your answer. I have got citizenship few days ago and I did not take KELA support. I am going to apply for passport.

mois_2012

Post by mois_2012 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:38 pm

It took more than 9 months for me.

moonlightway

Post by moonlightway » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:27 am

Hello Mois_2012,

May I know that;

- Whether you had income of 400 e only/ per moth during your citizenship application was on processing?

- Did they asked additional information regarding your income after applying? If yes, then after how many months of applying, they asked from you?

I would appreciate if you can write me.

Thank you in advance and wish you all the best.