Owning a motorcycle in Finland.

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Taimen

Post by Taimen » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:49 pm

Touring on motorcycle is my biggest hobby. Now I'm planning to study here and thus I wanted to figure out if it's doable to own a motorcycle as a student. What are the monthly costs? I heard somewhere that it are pretty high costs compared to other countries.
Anyone any idea?

Thanks.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Pursuivant

Re: Owning a motorcycle in Finland.

Post by Pursuivant » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:25 pm

Insurance is expensive, and then you teally need some place to garage it.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Taimen

Post by Taimen » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:47 pm

Pursuivant wrote:Insurance is expensive, and then you teally need some place to garage it.
Thanks for your reaction. A place to garage it won't be a problem. I was more aiming for the usage costs and insurance. Any idea of how much an average insurance costs? And what the usage costs every year are?

Piet

Post by Piet » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:24 pm

Taimen wrote:
Pursuivant wrote:Insurance is expensive, and then you teally need some place to garage it.
Thanks for your reaction. A place to garage it won't be a problem. I was more aiming for the usage costs and insurance. Any idea of how much an average insurance costs? And what the usage costs every year are?
The costs of an insurance greatly depend on the type of motorbike and varies enormously between different companies.

As a personal advise I would recommend an insurance that you can stop in winter time and activate in summer. the year price is much higher than a normal insurance, but if you only drive for 3 months, sure worth the difference. finnish name is something like seisontavakuutus

Shop around for your insurance and really take the time for this, it can make a difference of more than 1000 euro's a year!!!! (depending on the bike and the insurance type).

I have my bike insured with that kind of insurance with the company IF and I pay about 3 euro's a day when it is insured, downside is that to get bonus years increasing, you need to be insured for at least 90 days between September and August the next year (insurance year).

Oh and I only talk here about the mandatory traffic liability insurance, NO CASCO that is not worth it for a bike older than 3 years...

Happy hunting for an insurance..

Usage costs depend on your driving style, type of bike etc (for the tires, gasoline, drive belt or chain, sprockets, engine overhaul,) No road tax and no "katsastus"
If god would give us the source code, we could change the world

Taimen

Post by Taimen » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:53 pm

The costs of an insurance greatly depend on the type of motorbike and varies enormously between different companies.

As a personal advise I would recommend an insurance that you can stop in winter time and activate in summer. the year price is much higher than a normal insurance, but if you only drive for 3 months, sure worth the difference. finnish name is something like seisontavakuutus

Shop around for your insurance and really take the time for this, it can make a difference of more than 1000 euro's a year!!!! (depending on the bike and the insurance type).

I have my bike insured with that kind of insurance with the company IF and I pay about 3 euro's a day when it is insured, downside is that to get bonus years increasing, you need to be insured for at least 90 days between September and August the next year (insurance year).

Oh and I only talk here about the mandatory traffic liability insurance, NO CASCO that is not worth it for a bike older than 3 years...

Usage costs depend on your driving style, type of bike etc (for the tires, gasoline, drive belt or chain, sprockets, engine overhaul,) No road tax and no "katsastus"[/quote]

Thanks for your reaction! Really appreciate the help here.
I didn't expect there wouldn't be any taxes!
I only have an A2 license. So I don't know if that would be more expensive to get insured.
Do you have any recommendation for websites where you can find the insurances? In English?

Thanks again.

Piet

Post by Piet » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:18 pm

Taimen wrote: Thanks for your reaction! Really appreciate the help here.
I only have an A2 license. So I don't know if that would be more expensive to get insured.
Do you have any recommendation for websites where you can find the insurances? In English?

Thanks again.
A2? must be new, my license mentions only A1 and A and A can be divided in light and heavy motorbikes.

I will assume you mean you have just for the light motorbikes the license (under 35KW??) that is all from after I got my license but think about the following system here in Finland regarding insurances for motorbikes (and maybe cars too):
The price of the insurance is depending on the amount of accidents that happen with your age, the license type and your model motorbike in Finland.

For example a 6 year old KTM offroad 125CC might be more expensive to insure than a Honda CBX 650E of 30 years old, why? Because the KTM is mainly driven by young inexperienced people that like to drive offroad and therefore have more accidents compared to the motor biker of age being careful with his classic Vtwin bike which is still running after 25 years of ownership. Get the idea?

So I guess you will pay more than me 8)

Best thing to do is visit some offices and get an appointment with someone that speaks very good English, in my experience the English versions of a lot of Finnish websites are missing information that might be important (biggest examples maestraatti, kela TE office, and those are not even companies but state owned). Take your time, you might need to cue for a long time in these offices.... but trust me it is saving you a lot of money in the end..

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:09 pm

Piet wrote:

Thanks again.
A2? must be new, my license mentions only A1 and A and A can be divided in light and heavy motorbikes.
A = motorcycle, no limits
A2 = 35kW and 0,2kW/kg max
A1 = 125cm3 and 11kw (15 if trike) max

The middle one came in 2013.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:00 am

I got an A and a B when I did my C, which for B I kind of understand, but I could legally drive a Hayabusa, no, I may legally drive a Hayabusa, can I drive one... :lol:
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Taimen

Post by Taimen » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:12 pm

Piet wrote:

Thanks again.

I will assume you mean you have just for the light motorbikes the license (under 35KW??) that is all from after I got my license but think about the following system here in Finland regarding insurances for motorbikes (and maybe cars too):
The price of the insurance is depending on the amount of accidents that happen with your age, the license type and your model motorbike in Finland.

For example a 6 year old KTM offroad 125CC might be more expensive to insure than a Honda CBX 650E of 30 years old, why? Because the KTM is mainly driven by young inexperienced people that like to drive offroad and therefore have more accidents compared to the motor biker of age being careful with his classic Vtwin bike which is still running after 25 years of ownership. Get the idea?

So I guess you will pay more than me 8)

Best thing to do is visit some offices and get an appointment with someone that speaks very good English, in my experience the English versions of a lot of Finnish websites are missing information that might be important (biggest examples maestraatti, kela TE office, and those are not even companies but state owned). Take your time, you might need to cue for a long time in these offices.... but trust me it is saving you a lot of money in the end..
Thank you again for your reaction! It's getting a lot clearer now. There are no websites on which I can get an indication per motorcycle?

Taimen

Post by Taimen » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:14 pm

roger_roger wrote:I dunno what to say as from one side its worth having a motorbike as its sooo fun to ride and on the other hand its bloody expensive too....

I once had it for a year, the net loss for me for owning a motorbike in a year was 3000 euros and I ride maybe 30 times makes around 100 euros per ride. If you are too enthusiastic then might worth having it, specially when you are still student and have money to spend but do expect your motorbike to drink your booze money :lol:
On what were those 3000 euros spent exactly?

deepsudeep

Post by deepsudeep » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:38 am

Piet wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:24 pm
Taimen wrote:

Usage costs depend on your driving style, type of bike etc (for the tires, gasoline, drive belt or chain, sprockets, engine overhaul,) No road tax and no "katsastus"
What insurance company do you have? I would only need liability

Piet

Post by Piet » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:19 pm

I have "If " ,

but you might want to check out Lähitapiola too.