Any negative effects on my Finnish citizenship application?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
madsum

Post by madsum » Sat May 14, 2016 5:23 pm

Hello,

I'm a Bangladeshi citizen. My spouse(husband) is a Finnish citizen. I lived in Finland for last 4 years and recently I got the permanent resident permit. I would like to apply for Finnish citizenship as well. Due to my husband job, he had to move to the UK. Now he is living in the UK. Also, I would like to move to UK and stay with him.

As a Bangladeshi citizen, I can only stay in UK for 6 months maximum as a visitor. So I would like to apply for UK resident permit. So my question is that if I apply for Finnish citizenship and at the same time I apply for UK resident permit. I don't know Finnish immigration rules. Are there any negative effects on my Finnish citizen application? Please let me know. Thanks in advance!

Br,
Islam

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Pursuivant

Re: Any negative effects on my Finnish citizenship applicati

Post by Pursuivant » Sat May 14, 2016 8:18 pm

No effect, but if you have your Finnish citizenship its way different (and a few hundred pounds cheaper)
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun May 15, 2016 8:21 pm

madsum wrote: As a Bangladeshi citizen, I can only stay in UK for 6 months maximum as a visitor. So I would like to apply for UK resident permit. So my question is that if I apply for Finnish citizenship and at the same time I apply for UK resident permit. I don't know Finnish immigration rules. Are there any negative effects on my Finnish citizen application? Please let me know. Thanks in advance!
Just remember that you need to be resident in Finland when your citizenship application is processed. It is expected to take 8 months so if you apply for citizenship you will only be able to move temporarily to UK.

http://www.migri.fi/services/processing ... ions_16597

madsum

Post by madsum » Mon May 16, 2016 2:01 am

Pursuivant wrote:No effect, but if you have your Finnish citizenship its way different (and a few hundred pounds cheaper)
Well if I get Finnish citizenship. I shouldn't need any UK visa or resident permit to live in UK. Isn't it?

madsum

Post by madsum » Mon May 16, 2016 2:21 am

Just remember that you need to be resident in Finland when your citizenship application is processed. It is expected to take 8 months so if you apply for citizenship you will only be able to move temporarily to UK.
Could you please clarify me. After citizenship application, do I have to be inside Finland all the time? Can't I go outside and live there when my application is processing? Application processing takes 6 to 13 months. We have our own apartment in Finland. So we will have Finnish contact address and Finnish phone number to reach us anytime. If anything is required by the immigration personnel, they can contact me all the time.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon May 16, 2016 4:33 pm

madsum wrote:
Could you please clarify me. After citizenship application, do I have to be inside Finland all the time? Can't I go outside and live there when my application is processing? Application processing takes 6 to 13 months. We have our own apartment in Finland. So we will have Finnish contact address and Finnish phone number to reach us anytime. If anything is required by the immigration personnel, they can contact me all the time.
http://www.migri.fi/finnish_citizenship ... de_finland

If you have no previous trips, under 6 months: no problem
6-12 months: I don't know
>12 months: problem

aloha_2018

Re: Any negative effects on my Finnish citizenship application?

Post by aloha_2018 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:58 am

Hi madsum,

I am in a similar situation.

Could you please let me know how it went for you? Anything that I need to pay attention to?

Thank you!

albacore

Post by albacore » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:23 am

During the four or five years that you need to stay in Finland to get Finnish citizenship, you have some limitations on travelling ouside Finland. Just yesterday someone's application got rejected because they were out of Finland for 13 months.

The following periods of absence from Finland will not interrupt your continuous period of residence, and their time will be calculated as continuous residence time:

absences of a maximum of one month
a maximum of six periods of absence that last 1–2 months each
a maximum of two periods of absence that last 2–6 months each
So read this page very carefully
https://migri.fi/en/how-to-calculate-th ... -residence

aloha_2018 wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:58 am
Hi madsum,

I am in a similar situation.

Could you please let me know how it went for you? Anything that I need to pay attention to?

Thank you!
FinlandList.com useful links for living in Finland
AskFinnish.com to ask your Finnish language questions.

aloha_2018

Post by aloha_2018 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:52 pm

Hi,
Yes, I have read that carefully. However, the point here is that I have fulfilled the period and submitted my application. About 3 months after that, I have plan to move to another EU country and stay there for 6 months. Would it create any complication for the application, provided that my application is online and I still have my Finnish phone number ?

Thank you!

albacore

Post by albacore » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:03 am

aloha_2018 wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:52 pm
Hi,
Yes, I have read that carefully. However, the point here is that I have fulfilled the period and submitted my application. About 3 months after that, I have plan to move to another EU country and stay there for 6 months. Would it create any complication for the application, provided that my application is online and I still have my Finnish phone number ?

Thank you!
I remember reading somewhere that: "during the time the decision is getting made you need to be in Finland".

Would you have the option to come back to Finland when your application goes to the "in progress" stage?

If yes, and you haven't used that maximum six month absent option before, I'd say it should be fine.

There's a phone line that you can use to talk to a migri officer, but they speak only Finnish or Swedish though.
FinlandList.com useful links for living in Finland
AskFinnish.com to ask your Finnish language questions.

Voliksenda

Post by Voliksenda » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:23 am

aloha_2018 wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:52 pm
Hi,

Thank you!
It's quite common for Finnish officials to enquire you about the foreign trips you made after applying for the citizenship, but before the decision is made. If they are too long, it might turn your continuous residence into an interrupted one. As a result, it will increase the amount of years you are required to live in Finland before you get rights for a citizenship.
Also, once you get a positive citizenship decision, your residence permit becomes invalid. So, you might have problems when coming back to Finland with it.

inkku

Post by inkku » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:21 pm

albacore wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:03 am

There's a phone line that you can use to talk to a migri officer, but they speak only Finnish or Swedish though.
If you apply for citizenship, should you not be able to ask for advice in national languages???????

inkku

Post by inkku » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:24 pm

madsum wrote:
Sat May 14, 2016 5:23 pm
Hello,

I'm a Bangladeshi citizen. My spouse(husband) is a Finnish citizen. I lived in Finland for last 4 years and recently I got the permanent resident permit. I would like to apply for Finnish citizenship as well. Due to my husband job, he had to move to the UK. Now he is living in the UK. Also, I would like to move to UK and stay with him.

As a Bangladeshi citizen, I can only stay in UK for 6 months maximum as a visitor. So I would like to apply for UK resident permit. So my question is that if I apply for Finnish citizenship and at the same time I apply for UK resident permit. I don't know Finnish immigration rules. Are there any negative effects on my Finnish citizen application? Please let me know. Thanks in advance!

Br,
Islam
I don't understand, if you are married to a EU person who is in the UK for employment, why would you not get a residence permit as a family member?

aloha_2018

Post by aloha_2018 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:22 pm

I could but I might not want to draw unnecessary attention though.
I don't understand, if you are married to a EU person who is in the UK for employment, why would you not get a residence permit as a family member?
She would, but will it cause any negative effect on the submitted application (by having RP from another country)?

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:37 pm

I don't know about the citizenship law in Finland, but at least in the US if you're planning to apply for citizenship with the intent of leaving the country right after you're naturalised, then that's ground for revoking your application and further fraud charges.

I wonder how it is in Finland.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.