Cardamom question

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Spencerville Slim

Cardamom question

Post by Spencerville Slim » Mon May 30, 2016 10:59 pm

Sorry if this has already been asked. Searched the site for "cardamom" and didn't see this same question, although there were plenty of other cardamom discussions.

When we buy ground cardamom here, it is usually ground to a very fine powder that does not much resemble the coarser grind that the Finnish people I know like use for their pulla and so on. One friend told me that he just buys the whole seeds and grinds them at home. Getting ready to do a little baking for our Finnish class's end-of-term seisovapöytä, I thought I'd do the same. So I've bought the whole seeds, but I don't know if I'm supposed to grind them outer hull (or is it a shell?) and all, or just the pod or kernel that's inside. I will be using an electric coffee grinder rather than mortar and pestle. Any advice?

Also, the shop I was at had green cardamom seeds and black ones, which appear to larger and perhaps tougher. I bought the green ones. Right choice?

Cardamom question

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rosamunda

Re: Cardamom question

Post by Rosamunda » Tue May 31, 2016 8:35 pm

I wouldn't grind the pods if I'm using the spice in cakes.
But I rarely buy the pods as it is so easy to get the ground spice here (fine and coarse).

Rip

Post by Rip » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:55 am

I usually buy the whole (near black) seeds, which I grind (whole, as they are) just before use in 'pulla' or what ever. Available in almost every shop "kardemumma, kokonainen".

For the actual pods (greenish usually, I think) that contain multiple seeds I you probably need to visit some speciality shop.

Chaapa

Post by Chaapa » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:17 am

We need to make a distinction here between seeds and pods. The pod is the complete unit including an outside husk, while the seeds are the tasty little nuggets inside. The pods actually come in three different colors: green, white and black. You did well by choosing the green ones. Now don't grind the whole pod. You'll have to break each one open to release the seeds, which you can then grind. I'm having trouble imagining that you can use an electric coffee grinder to do the small quantity you'll need. I strongly recommend a mortar and pestle.

Spencerville Slim

Post by Spencerville Slim » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:09 am

Thank you, all. Good advice. And thanks particularly to Chaapa for clearing up my confusion regarding the difference between "pod" and "seed." Crikey! Can't master my own language; no wonder I struggle with Finnish :) .

Separated out the seeds from the pods and of course ignored your advice and tried the coffee grinder first. Naturally, for the samll quantity I needed, it resulted in either whole seeds or fine powder. No happy medium. The mortar and pestle worked just fine, however. Next time I am in Finalnd, I will be sure to buy some of the coarsely ground stuff to save myself the trouble. Now, if only my baking were better . . . Well, one thing at a time!

And, Roger, I have saved the hulls to try out in my tea. Great idea!

inkku

Post by inkku » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:31 am

I use pepper mill for grinding the seeds.

Jukka Aho

Post by Jukka Aho » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:01 pm

As an aside, I just stumbled upon this article about the traditional packaging for ground cardamom in Finland:
znark

CaroleInDFW

Post by CaroleInDFW » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:16 am

Where can I order this coarsely ground cardamon from Finland? I just tried some pulla that my brother ordered from a girl who stated that she buys the coarsely ground cardamon from Finland and her friends from Finland bring it over to her. Is there someplace online where I can purchase it? Thanks.

We do have quite a few Indian stores here in the Dallas, Texas area. What pods should I be looking for? Thanks again.

wolf80

Post by wolf80 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:43 pm

For "where to find Finnish food in the USA" questions I would recommend the Facebook group "Finnish cooking & culture". There you can find many descendants of Finnish immigrants in the USA, Canada and Australia, and many recommendations on where to buy things in these countries.