Signing kids up for day care

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
bf421

Re: Signing kids up for day care

Post by bf421 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:27 am

Thanks for pointing me to the paper form. That's exactly what I need. I don't know why I didn't find that before. When I searched, all I found was the e-service, so maybe I wasn't doing the right search, or maybe I just overlooked it or something. So thanks again.

It says I post it or deliver it to the daycare... So can I literally go to the daycare centre nearby to me and knock on the door and hand it to them? I'm a little nervous because I don't speak Finnish. I emailed that daycare centre a few weeks ago and didn't receive a response. I also tried to call the city's daycare/early child services phone number. The first time I called, I asked if they speak English and the lady hung up on me (I'll give the benefit of the doubt and assume it was a mistake). I called later and was able to talk to someone who transferred me to a different line where I left a voicemail. I also heard no response. Maybe this was part of my discouragement, and why I was focused the past couple of days on trying to get an online application done.

Regarding FACTA... Yes the US has dumb laws about people living abroad. They want to prevent people from hiding money in overseas accounts to avoid paying taxes, but the result is that it makes every expat's life difficult. Since that law has passed, many banks have been completely refusing to open accounts for Americans. However, Nordea was happy to help me, and my experience so far is that the people were very helpful. Not being able to use bank credentials to authenticate myself online seems to be a different issue, one of their bank "rules" which all of the banks seem to have. I'd still like to figure that out because logging in with bank credentials seems common in Finland. For example using my student card for payment requires it, as does paying my rent, and probably many other things.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Flossy1978

Post by Flossy1978 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:43 am

Have you tried privately run daycares? My son went to one. It had the same costs as the Government one he went to earlier. I called them and got the papers and within a few days my son had a place.

You could also apply for in home daycares. Some Mums who stay home with their kids and take on 1-3 more children. It is regulated. They are signed on with the city, so I think they are usually decent and good. I think they might also be easier to get into. It might be quicker. You could then transfer over to a normal daycare later on.

Good luck!

nanghelo

Post by nanghelo » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:49 pm

Thanks for pointing me to the paper form. That's exactly what I need. I don't know why I didn't find that before. When I searched, all I found was the e-service, so maybe I wasn't doing the right search, or maybe I just overlooked it or something. So thanks again.
There's just so much information in so many different places; I think it's easy to overlook things, especially when you're dealing with all the other logistics of moving abroad with a family!
It says I post it or deliver it to the daycare... So can I literally go to the daycare centre nearby to me and knock on the door and hand it to them? I'm a little nervous because I don't speak Finnish. I emailed that daycare centre a few weeks ago and didn't receive a response. I also tried to call the city's daycare/early child services phone number. The first time I called, I asked if they speak English and the lady hung up on me (I'll give the benefit of the doubt and assume it was a mistake). I called later and was able to talk to someone who transferred me to a different line where I left a voicemail. I also heard no response. Maybe this was part of my discouragement, and why I was focused the past couple of days on trying to get an online application done.
Wow, that does sound discouraging! We've personally had luck e-mailing daycare centres; it may be that you e-mailed while they were still on break/just getting back? Perhaps try calling, perhaps with a Finnish acquaintance to help you? And if that fails, then yes, maybe just try walking there and asking someone. You probably won't be able to see the director without an appointment, but you will at least get your foot in the door, so to speak.

Like I mentioned, there might be the possibility of getting "emergency" day care within two weeks because you are starting studies and a job; it will be up to the daycare to determine whether you qualify. The downside is that many day cares are already full, so you might not get your top choice and may wind up having to travel a bit, at least for the first few months. The ideas mentioned about family day cares, etc., are also good things to look into.

One important thing to know is that after you've made the paper application, you shouldn't make an electronic application, because it will cancel your paper application and reset the waiting period. (That happened to us. They will probably be merciful as they were with us, but still, it was a hassle and we felt stupid.)
I'd still like to figure that out because logging in with bank credentials seems common in Finland. For example using my student card for payment requires it, as does paying my rent, and probably many other things.
Yes, you get so much done much more easily with bank credentials. However, I would think you should be able to pay your rent with just online access to your bank account (code card or code app) and the payment information, unless your apartment has a very particular system.

Getting the ID card is a hassle but it is possible with time and patience (getting registered first, then applying with the police and waiting until it's ready). I think the bank needs to see a card with both your picture and your ID number on it (does the residence permit have that now?) to "officially" know it's you, although as they told me, it's obvious it's really you, but they have to follow bank policy. Which, from a broader perspective, is a good thing, because I wouldn't want my bank to bend policies as a general practice...

If you're willing to wait another 6-8 months, you could also get a Finnish driver's license and use that as your official ID for banking and so forth. (You'll want to do that anyway if you're staying longer than 2 years and might be driving, and you'll avoid paying twice that way for ID forms. On the other hand, it's quite a long time to wait without access to online services. Although you CAN still do most things with paper forms and some grit.) :-)

misu

Post by misu » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:52 pm

I don't know what all y'all are complaining about. The bureaucracy here is pretty straightforward, simple, and humane (well, except maybe for the TE office asshats). OP sounds really entitled. You can't just walk in here and demand daycare delivered to your feet within a matter of a few days! That's insane. Most daycare spots in actual cities tend to be booked up way in advance. It took almost a year for us to get a spot in our nearby daycare. If we had an emergency reason for a spot we could have taken one way across town but we opted to wait until a nearby spot opened. OP, don't blame the country because you didn't do apparently any homework on the matter before coming here.

Flossy1978

Post by Flossy1978 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:07 pm

I don't think the poster is acting entitled. She's probably very stressed. Many posters on this site come here for help and advice. They're new to Finland and should be helped in a stressful situation, not harrassed by mistakes they have made. She's clearly not one of the losers who expects a job, free KELA money etc. Give her a break.

To the poster..... Call the privately run daycares. I think you will find you will have more luck. That is how I got the place for my child.

bf421

Post by bf421 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:10 am

I'm not trying to sound entitled. I'm just.... annoyed. (In my opinion, at least) Why can't those services (register with the municipality, get an id card, etc.) be done together, or at the very least nearby to each other? I'm also not used to opening hours here, for instance these offices are open from 10:00 - 4:00... exactly the same hours I need to be at school and work.

I've looked more in-depth into a few private daycares. It seems like the price can vary from 300EUR/month to as much as 900EUR/month per child. Is there a difference in quality between various daycare centres that would warrant such a big discrepancy in price? The ones on the lower end are probably closer to what I can afford. Also, I might be able to get the Kela benefit to pay part of that cost, or at least the person in the Kela office seemed to think so. Again, not to sound like an entitled foreigner/American, but since I'm working and thus paying taxes here, I might as well take advantage of the benefit.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:49 pm

bf421 wrote:I'm not trying to sound entitled. I'm just.... annoyed. (In my opinion, at least) Why can't those services (register with the municipality, get an id card, etc.) be done together, or at the very least nearby to each other?
Only one physical visit during the day in Finland is required with the following steps:

1. Get the id code with the residence permit application
2. Mail the physical form to update the population register. You can get these in for example Posti offices.
3. Book a time at the police station online to get the ID card
4. Use the ID card to get online identification from a provider that has suitable hours (for example teleoperator are in any mall when they are open).
5. Do everything else online.

If you become an Estonian e-resident, you can even skip getting the ID card since the law requires the resulting Estonian ID card to be usable to get Finnish online identification.

https://e-estonia.com/e-residents/about/

Given how hard big changes are, I don't think we can get away with all the steps. I think a good idea would be to create a mobile app that helps people through the process.
bf421 wrote:Also, I might be able to get the Kela benefit to pay part of that cost, or at least the person in the Kela office seemed to think so. Again, not to sound like an entitled foreigner/American, but since I'm working and thus paying taxes here, I might as well take advantage of the benefit.
Most likely since you are working. There's less stigma about applying for those benefits in Finland than you seem to think.