Gender pay gap: reality or a twisted picture?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Marsh04

Post by Marsh04 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:02 pm

The article says females will work rest of the year without pay. Or the proper statement could be that females will have a holiday for the rest of the year while men will be working.

I know there are a lot of ladies working in low paid jobs but in my opinion (which could be totally or partially wrong) one reason for the pay gap is that men work a lot harder. Men work harder in two ways, one is they do harder or more skilled jobs (it takes a lot of time, mostly unpaid time, to learn a skill) and the other is they work longer hours. Most of the small scale businessmen are practically working 14-15 hours a day. And many go without any proper holidays for years.

I know many couples who work in the same field but men earn a lot more. But it's not because they get a different scale for the pay based on gender but it's because they work a lot longer hours.

http://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/union ... ap/9262409

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Pursuivant

Re: Gender pay gap: reality or a twisted picture?

Post by Pursuivant » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:10 pm

According to the law, you can not pay different wage according to gender, so it is !"#¤%.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:23 pm

Pursuivant wrote:According to the law, you can not pay different wage according to gender, so it is !"#¤%.
That's one sh*tty argument.
According to the law, you also cannot go to someone's house and steal their TV, but some people are still doing it. Having a law against something doesn't mean that the thing doesn't exist. It's not like the law is this magical wand that once it's in place then it's done.

While that argument in particular is sh*t, I'm still on the side of "gender pay gap" in Western countries being a made up thing. Generally speaking, women tend to prefer career choices that offer lower financial returns than those chosen by men. Engineering, surgery, high-risk construction, executive-level management, etc. are all dominated by men, and they happen to be very financially rewarding. Add to it that men to do more paid work hours, both day-to-day and career-wide.

If all those factors are taken into account, the gender pay gap falls down to a statistically insignificant level.

One think I do agree on, though, is that women do indeed do much more overall work hours than men, and they do it on top of their regular employment working hours, and they don't get paid for those hours that can otherwise be regular paid work. This includes tending to kids, making food for the family, taking care of the house, etc. This is very unfortunate in our society, but I don't know what can fix that.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

Honest

Post by Honest » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:38 pm

The house work is by choice. And additionally you are paid for that work in non-monetary ways. A loving and caring husband/family.

Am I paid for my exercise or washing my car or for dropping or picking up kids? It's the price for having a family and kids and it's my choice.

Rick1

Post by Rick1 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:11 pm

Men also have higher risk to be fired and takes longer to find a new job :wink:

But here law and taxes are sacred guys.

And an example of how it can go quite wrong if women start to get too much power is Angie from Germany, she totally lost it.