Strange question from Nordea

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
suomii

Post by suomii » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:25 pm

Hi,
I am new in the forum and I hope that this is the correct place for this post. Today I received a message from Nordea in my netbank. Here it what it says:

Hello,
You have made a deposit 2000e last January. Please, let me know what kind of money this is. Have you sold something? Why I ask this,the reason is that we need to know our customers and services they need. This is according to Finnish legislation. So, please send me your answer.
Best regards.

This seems to be too a breach of privacy to me. Was anyone asked this kind of information ever? By the way I have just withdrawn the same amount of money before and put it back. So it is not related to earning money.
Last edited by suomii on Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

tjawatts

Re: Strange question from Nordea

Post by tjawatts » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:28 pm

Why not just tell them that?

T

tjawatts

Post by tjawatts » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:30 pm

And yes they are asking lots of people. They have been told off for not doing it enough earlier.

http://www.nordea.fi/en/personal-custom ... tomer.html

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:00 pm

They ask a lot of people. For Nordea, this is normal. For more info, continue reading.

This process is triggered by one or both of the following events (could be more events, I don't know):
- Anomaly detection.
- Random selection of transactions fitting a defined profile.

1- Anomaly detection: Throughout the life of your bank account, they track and build a pattern of usage and transactions. If their software detects anomalies, this alert is sent to a queue and an employee looks at it manually, and a lot of times they ask the customer about it. So if you regularly get 3000 euro deposits on the 1st day of the month and the rest of the month it's all spending, then this is probably your salary. If suddenly in the middle of the month you suddenly get 2000, then something is odd here. They need to know if it's undeclared income, illegal item selling, etc. They're required, by law, to do their due diligence to detect money laundering, illegal activities, tax evasion, etc.

2- Random sampling: According to many specifications that their experts set, such as certain upper limit value or certain destination countries, the bank would randomly select payments that fit these specifications, and inquire further. This is done again for the reason explained above.

Yes, it's annoying, but they need to do that to comply with laws in many jurisdictions.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

Roger_1

Post by Roger_1 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:37 pm

suomii wrote:Hi,
I am new in the forum and I hope that this is the correct place for this post. Today I received a message from Nordea in my netbank. Here it what it says:

Heippa!
You have made a deposit 1.350,00e last August. Please, let me know what kind of money this is. Have you sold something? Why I ask this,the reason is that we need to know our customers and services they need. This is according to Finnish legislation. So, please send me your answer.
Best regards.

This seems to be too a breach of privacy to me. Was anyone asked this kind of information ever? By the way I have just withdrawn the same amount of money before and put it back. So it is not related to earning money.
Hi,

I wonder why they did not ask the same question when you actually made the deposit, as what I understood you must have deposited in cash in some branch. isn't it??

BR