Cohabitation residence permit

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
farfaraway

Post by farfaraway » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:05 pm

This viewtopic.php?f=3&t=94006 might be semi-related to what I am about to write

So I and my ex-wife, we had a long distance relationship for about 4 years. During that time, I was living in the same apartment with another girl (she was having a boyfriend at that time, but not anymore) to save the rental cost and we were living in 2 separate rooms and we absolutely had no feelings for each other at the time, just a few small talks PER WEEK and that was it, nothing more.

And then about 4,5 months ago (my ex-wife came to live with me for few months), I and my ex-wife had differences in our opinions about pretty much everything and anything, and she decided to end the relationship and went back to her country (as mentioned in the link above) leaving me all alone here in Finland. During those tough time, the girl I was living with stayed with me and consoled me, we talked more and found out that we have a lot in common (also many differences). And naturally, we fall in love and start a new relationship. We are moving to a smaller apartment with only 1 room to save the cost.

She is a student and about to finish her studies and she wants to study higher (Master's) but the problem is that there is tuition fee and she's holding a B-permit. My question is that can she apply for a A residence permit (which makes the tuition fee go away) based on the ground of Cohabitation considering that she has technically been living with me for 4 years?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Cohabitation residence permit

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:01 pm

farfaraway wrote: She is a student and about to finish her studies and she wants to study higher (Master's) but the problem is that there is tuition fee and she's holding a B-permit. My question is that can she apply for a A residence permit (which makes the tuition fee go away) based on the ground of Cohabitation considering that she has technically been living with me for 4 years?
Persons living continuously in a marriage-like relationship within the same household regardless of their sex are comparable to a married couple. The requirement is that they have lived together for at least two years. This is not required if the persons have a child in their joint custody or if there is some other weighty reason for it.
I don't think your relationship qualifies as marriage-like. It's "one roof, multiple households".

http://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/kaannokset ... 040301.pdf

Rip

Post by Rip » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:24 pm

In honest assessment you don't qualify. I doubt you'd be successful cheating either as you were actually married during your "cohabitation"

farfaraway

Post by farfaraway » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:25 am

betelgeuse wrote:
farfaraway wrote: She is a student and about to finish her studies and she wants to study higher (Master's) but the problem is that there is tuition fee and she's holding a B-permit. My question is that can she apply for a A residence permit (which makes the tuition fee go away) based on the ground of Cohabitation considering that she has technically been living with me for 4 years?
Persons living continuously in a marriage-like relationship within the same household regardless of their sex are comparable to a married couple. The requirement is that they have lived together for at least two years. This is not required if the persons have a child in their joint custody or if there is some other weighty reason for it.
I don't think your relationship qualifies as marriage-like. It's "one roof, multiple households".

http://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/kaannokset ... 040301.pdf
Yes, I think so :( my situation is kinda complicated
Rip wrote:In honest assessment you don't qualify. I doubt you'd be successful cheating either as you were actually married during your "cohabitation"
I guess I will need to follow the law and actually live together with my new girlfriend for 2 years

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:07 pm

roger_roger wrote:I was wondering how these kind of cases are considered by migri: suppose a Finnish woman is married to a foreign man and the man has residence permit based on family ties, but the man also has another girlfriend from some different country living in the same household. The man has kids together with both women (Finnish and foreign). In such case can the other foreign women and her kid apply for RP based on family ties?
The kid of the foreign woman is a family member of the foreign man. The foreign woman can get an RP as the guardian of the kid.

riku2

Post by riku2 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:36 am

roger_roger wrote:There was a case about a British man living together with 2 women, one married and another girlfriend at the same time and having kids from both the women.
this is perhaps not the best story to illustrate the idea of multiple partners since the girlfriend moved out and sought custody of the children which led to the man pouring petrol into his own letterbox and the house burning down with the death of the five children while he pretended to try and save them and thanks to that he is now spending the rest of his life in prison

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-derbyshire-22013080